Thai Air News! - CNX-BKK by Dreamliner 787 - Plus Website Changes

davevi

Has the aircraft been delivered yet? Quick google doesn't seem to show any photos of it at BKK or news of it being delivered. It's 5th July now and its supposed to be flying on the 8th?

Delivered and ready.

Thai has been very shy about showing the interior of the 787. By my count there are only two photos of business class available online.

The interior design for the 787 is very nice, but does not match the interior style of other Thai business class cabins.

Not sure why they are using a new design style interior for this plane.

The aircraft is built and flying but its not been handed over to the airline yet and is not in Thailand. Google has no news of it being delivered, The aviation photographers who linger at the end of the runway at BKK have not photographed it either. These guys are all mad keen to be the first one's with the image and upload it to airliners.net and get it on the Internet. It's still in the USA with Boeing but could arrive in BKK any day now I guess......
Rubbish. I am fully familiar with the unique appearance of the 787 and the new livery TG has on it. The 787 I saw climbing out of CNX RW 36 was not a figment of my imagination. And I saw one on the ground at BKK as well.

Oooooohhh.... look mum! Airplane anoraks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the aircraft been delivered yet? Quick google doesn't seem to show any photos of it at BKK or news of it being delivered. It's 5th July now and its supposed to be flying on the 8th?

Delivered and ready.

Thai has been very shy about showing the interior of the 787. By my count there are only two photos of business class available online.

The interior design for the 787 is very nice, but does not match the interior style of other Thai business class cabins.

The aircraft is built and flying but its not been handed over to the airline yet and is not in Thailand. Google has no news of it being delivered, The aviation photographers who linger at the end of the runway at BKK have not photographed it either. These guys are all mad keen to be the first one's with the image and upload it to airliners.net and get it on the Internet. It's still in the USA with Boeing but could arrive in BKK any day now I guess......
Rubbish. I am fully familiar with the unique appearance of the 787 and the new livery TG has on it. The 787 I saw climbing out of CNX RW 36 was not a figment of my imagination. And I saw one on the ground at BKK as well.

Oooooohhh.... look mum! Airplane anoraks!

Too hot in Thailand for anoraks...

Delivered and ready.

I would have to disagree here. Checking by Tail Number it is clear that this 787 is still in Washington State USA. Search for the plane by it's number HS-TQA using Google.

You can see it's current location is in WA, and it has not moved since July 3, 2014. You can also view its test flights in and around WA state.

I cannot explain why this plane is still in the USA, but this might be why they have delayed the CNX-BKK route using the 787.

I wish I could post the link here, but I believe I'm not allowed to do so, so I've posted a screenshot from the tracking system.

The system used to track tail numbers of planes is an international and universal system, and while not 100% foolproof at all times, I've never seen an inaccurate tracking of plane's location using the tail number system.

post-90096-0-34912300-1404718289_thumb.j

I swear I done seen it. If wrong I retract the uttertosh/rubbish comment. Will keep looking out. TG is leasing 7 or 8 dreamers I believe.

Maybe you saw an ANA one? From the front it probably looks the same.

ANA%20787%20taxi%204.jpg

Anyway, if it's on my route on the 25th I'm going to go to the toilet and come out and casually ask the cabin crew "Do you smell burning batteries?" just to see their reaction.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is. youtube "Thai's first Dreamliner arrival and a welcome ceremony"

Beautiful, thanks for posting

I like the way the wings are swept up as it comes in, when it lands the outer wing ailerons both deflect upwards and act as spoilers and flex the wing downwards in conjunction with the inboard flaperon and spoilers causing the wings to lose lift thus grounding the plane

Very nice looking at 1:45, good angle

Nice looking Air Stewardess at 2:09 on right (switch to 1080p), love their inflight uniform

Edited by Jdiddy

It's typical dumbness in business strategy ...deploying these big planes for the comfort of a few higher ups

There is no capacity for filling up a Dreamliner but heck no one can afford to lose face taking a budget flight for a northern district meeting

Hence the need for loss-making Thai airlines

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's typical dumbness in business strategy ...deploying these big planes for the comfort of a few higher ups

There is no capacity for filling up a Dreamliner but heck no one can afford to lose face taking a budget flight for a northern district meeting

The 787 is only flying into Chiang Mai for a few days for the pilots to get more experience with it before it flys long haul. All airlines do this with a new type of aircraft in the fleet. The 787 is smaller than 777 and 747 which normally operate some of the flights it is doing.

Gives a chance to give the pilots who have only flown the thing in the simulator till now a chance to get their hands on a real thing on a short flight. Cheaper training than having to train on long haul.

Anyone who has had taken TG 787 Dreamliner please post experience and perhaps some pics to share.

Thank you

I'll be flying up from BKK on Friday, 1 August on the TG 787 Dreamliner (or so my itinerary states.) Will post a few impressions afterward.

I am sure it wasn't a figment of your imagination but you seem to be the only person who has seen it in Thailand. TG have made no mention of receiving it other than its delayed 17 days. The Boeing website says its not been delivered. None of the many aviation photographers at BKK or CNX have taken a photo of it. Flight radar 24 has only records of it other than test flights within the USA. I hope to see it myself when it pops in CNX and maybe do flight to BKK.

took under 39 seconds to google.

Gives a chance to give the pilots who have only flown the thing in the simulator till now a chance to get their hands on a real thing on a short flight. Cheaper training than having to train on long haul.

Spot on. It means a high turnover for training flight deck *and* cabin crew.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am sure it wasn't a figment of your imagination but you seem to be the only person who has seen it in Thailand. TG have made no mention of receiving it other than its delayed 17 days. The Boeing website says its not been delivered. None of the many aviation photographers at BKK or CNX have taken a photo of it. Flight radar 24 has only records of it other than test flights within the USA. I hope to see it myself when it pops in CNX and maybe do flight to BKK.

If you spent as long as 39 seconds you may have noticed I posted on the 6th July(when the plane was in the USA and not yet delivered to Thai) and the video you posted was taken on 21st July which was probably the first visit to Chiang Mai.

If you spent as long as 39 seconds you may have noticed I posted on the 6th July(when the plane was in the USA and not yet delivered to Thai) and the video you posted was taken on 21st July which was probably the first visit to Chiang Mai.

Actually it was more like 10 seconds but who really cares

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anyone who has had taken TG 787 Dreamliner please post experience and perhaps some pics to share.

Thank you:)

I flew on this aircraft yesterday, BKK-CNX, on TG 110. Here are some observations (sorry, no photos):

- Seats are configured 2-2-2 in Business Class and 3-3-3 in Economy class. The seats in Business Class are the Thai Airways royal purple and appear to be lie flat. Seats in Economy are purple with lighter purple headrests down the middle row and a purple/orange combo with orange headrests on the two outside rows. They are the new slimline seats that are designed to offer more legroom to Economy passengers.

- On the back of each seat in Economy is a touch screen IFE unit, slightly larger than an iPad. The variety of entertainment was equal to that of my TG international flight from HKG-BKK; in fact, I'd estimate it was exactly the same. There is also a cupholder that folds down from the tray table so that you can store a drink without having to have the entire tray table over your lap.

- There is an interesting indirect blue "mood lighting" above the carryon storage throughout the cabin.

- For those wanting more leg room, row 48 is the exit row...mostly. 48 abc and hkj are exit row seats with infinite legroom - you'd have to be nearly 9 feet tall to touch the crew jumpseat in front of you. (However, a and h, the window seats, are affected by the curvature of the fuselage and are probably less comfortable.) The middle row of 48 is NOT exit row and is behind 47 def which is a bulkhead row - still offers a bit more legroom, though. (So for those keeping track there is no 47 abc or hkj, which creates the space for the exit door.)

- There are no window shades for the windows. Instead, there is a touch operated control that allows you to tint the individual windows to five different shades of darkness, ranging from clear to a dark green (similar to what you see in some sunglasses.) Very cool feature.

- The middle lavatory is wheelchair accessible and that means it has gobs of room in it. You could hold an aerobic dance class in there. The door is not one of those accordion doors but a one piece solid door that opens outward. Inside, the commode is configured so that it faces toward the rear of the aircraft and not midships (as most airline commodes do.) There's so much space in there I'd pay money to fly in there for the entire flight.

- As you might expect for a plane of this size, the flight was very smooth. It's also a very quiet aircraft. Naturally, it looked and smelled new because it is.

- According to the flight attendant, this particular aircraft is designed for medium range flights (787-800) and it's next flights after mine were to Tokyo and Perth. Thai will be taking delivery of a long range bird (787-900) sometime in the near future.

Overall a pleasant experience on a nice new aircraft.

post-216113-14069813407853_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069813830986_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069814096135_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069814284244_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069814841144_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069814997325_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069815280557_thumb.jpg

post-216113-14069815609233_thumb.jpg

Business class seating 2-2-2,

4 rows only. The quieter flight, the window shade and the personal entertainment screen is the better features to look out for. Seats are quite narrow. Personally I still prefer 777-200/300, they are more comfortable and spacious.

Edited by Cpkt8

Business class seating 2-2-2,

4 rows only. The quieter flight, the window shade and the personal entertainment screen is the better features to look out for. Seats are quite narrow. Personally I still prefer 777-200/300, they are more comfortable and spacious.

Show-off, lol. I actually tried to PAY TG to upgrade to Business but unfortunately I had purchased a non-upgradeable fare. (Hey, 1900 thb one way....when Bangkok Airways wanted 2090.)

Thanks for the photos.

The ATM payment option is still available for genuine TG flights (two and three digit flight numbers) when going through the Thai Air website.

It is not available for code share "Thai Smile Air" flights (four digit flight numbers).

It is a mess and very annoying (combined with the requirement to show up with the credit card making it virtually impossible to purchase tickets for others from the family e.g.).

If you go through the Thai Smile Air website, you will only see their flights (no TG flights) and no ATM payment options.

I hope they will quickly enble ATM payment for "Smile" also.

AND: don't overlook that Thai Smile flights from CNX go to Don Mueang starting Aug 8th.

From October all "Smile" flights will go to DMK.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The ATM payment option is still available for genuine TG flights (two and three digit flight numbers) when going through the Thai Air website.

It is not available for code share "Thai Smile Air" flights (four digit flight numbers).

It is a mess and very annoying (combined with the requirement to show up with the credit card making it virtually impossible to purchase tickets for others from the family e.g.).

If you go through the Thai Smile Air website, you will only see their flights (no TG flights) and no ATM payment options.

AND: don't overlook that Thai Smile flights from CNX go to Don Mueang starting Aug 8th.

That decision to re locate Thai Smile to Don Mueang is a real pain. Has anyone experienced the bus link to Swampy the airport provides ?

That decision to re locate Thai Smile to Don Mueang is a real pain. Has anyone experienced the bus link to Swampy the airport provides ?

Yes and it is superb ... better than a taxi, faster in fact, and FREE. The new buses are purpose-built and have icy cold aircon.

The drivel I posted on 7/5/14 was not a figment of my imagination but an error of observation due to imcomplete information. What in CRM terms (crew resource management) may be called a flawed theory of situation and confirmation bias.

I have figured out what I saw was the Thai Smile A320 which departs about 17:25 climbing out at a distance from behind.

I had never seen the new blended winglets on the newer A320 models which I mistook for the raked wingtips of the B787. In the distance also accepted the light pinkish colors of Thai Smile to be the standard TG livery.

Clearly not a Triple, Whale, or A330 I mistook post-84769-14073205344192_thumb.jpgthis aircraft to be the Dreamliner, which in my ignorance assumed to be operating already in Thailand and not sitting on a ramp at Boeing field, where it was in actuality. I'm certainly a poor excuse for a spotter and already apologized for calling rubbish on some accurate reply to my idiocy.

Edited by arunsakda