Thai Air News! - CNX-BKK by Dreamliner 787 - Plus Website Changes

davevi

Does the new credit card system avoid the problem of having to have the credit card used to pay for the ticket with you when you board? My daughter got stuck by this a few years back when she had replaced the card used with a new one. She spent 40 minutes at check-in on the phone to Oz and fortunately got her branch manager to dig out the old number. Thai is one of the few airlines that I know of that seem to do this.

The need to show your credit card is not a Thai Air requirement, but a FAA rule shared among airlines worldwide.

If you pay in cash at a Thai Air office, something you could do for your daughter if you are already in Thailand and she's flying in from abroad, she will only need to show her local ID or a Passport. Otherwise, prepare to have your credit card ready when checking in.

Uttertosh. The requirement to show credit card used for online booking is a TG requirement, other airlines may have it as well but none I know of. You might be talking about the Thai DCA but I can tell you the FAA does not regulate the ticketing and checkin requirements of any airline, especially not TG.

Thai only is subject to FAA jurisdiction regarding flights to the US and whilst operating in US airpace.

Well I've been asked for the card on MH, QR, TG and GF, and those are the last four airlines for which I've bought the ticket on plastic.

But you're right, it isn't an FAA directive, it's obviously an airline thing to prevent CNP (cardholder not present) fraud, but if you've got your passport with you I really don't see how it's any use. Unless they're basically saying they don't trust immigration officials to spot a fake passport.

We just returned from a round trip[ to Phuket paid for by my nephew with his American Express in the States. No one asked for a credit card. Just my passport and the wife's ID card along with the verification of flight we had received on line.

Fact of the matter is I have never been asked to show my credit card when flying to Malaysia , Indonesia or Cambodia as well as in country.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just returned from a round trip[ to Phuket paid for by my nephew with his American Express in the States. No one asked for a credit card. Just my passport and the wife's ID card along with the verification of flight we had received on line.

Fact of the matter is I have never been asked to show my credit card when flying to Malaysia , Indonesia or Cambodia as well as in country.

Yep my BKK-CNX-BKK recently did not require me showing a card, neither did QR. It seems it's rightly being abandoned everywhere as a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this takeoff a few hours ago while at at big c at the southern end of the runway, 1st time seeing one in the flesh, nice looking bird, love that upwards wing flex

Also saw a 737/similar that looked abit lost flying low over Pa daet with it's gear down flying north, 2.5km east of the runway

• 10 months later...

A year old thread but i think the plane is still flying daily CNX-BKK. I often see, at the right times, a big craft which seems to gain speed much slower than smaller planes out of CNX and over the 700 sportsground. Is this the Dreamer just creeping along thru the sky? Or some illusion due to size of craft?

And, really important, can i buy Thai air tix using cash someplace in CM? Have no credit card at this time.

Thai Airways office is on Phrapokklao at Soi 13 M-F until 5PM, as I remember. Tel. 053 920920. With a bank account one may purchase a ticket by phone also, they will send you a text code by SMS and you can pay at any ATM.

Or you can purchase at Airport everyday, office seems to be open at least around last departure at 20:50.

A year old thread but i think the plane is still flying daily CNX-BKK. I often see, at the right times, a big craft which seems to gain speed much slower than smaller planes out of CNX and over the 700 sportsground. Is this the Dreamer just creeping along thru the sky? Or some illusion due to size of craft?

And, really important, can i buy Thai air tix using cash someplace in CM? Have no credit card at this time.

The larger one is likely a 777. They're big. Bigger than the 787 Dreamliner anyway.

Latest one I was on last week was one with a refreshed interior, wood-like laminate flooring in some areas, etc. 777-300ER I think.

Smaller is better though; faster for everyone to get into and out of, and you don't need to deal with groups of 3 seats together. (On the Airbus planes)

The 787 is a rare visitor to CNX. The 777-300 and sometimes 777-200(shorter but still huge) are common ebery day. The difference between a 777 and 787 is the 777 is bigger and fatter and less curvy all round. The tail is straighter and more angular. The 787 has more curves than a 777. The nose is curvier, wings are a big difference sweep up and curve more at the ends and the tail less angular and more curvy. Overall its a quite a bit smaller.

Chiangmai 331 if you google a thai 777-300 and a thai 787 you will notice the curves. I saw one turning over Huay Tung Tao two weeks ago on a sunday afternoon at about 15:00. Prior to that maybe 6 months ago. FR24 app is well worth $3 if you are interested in this kind of stuff.

The 787 is a rare visitor to CNX. The 777-300 and sometimes 777-200(shorter but still huge) are common every day. The difference between a 777 and 787 is the 777 is bigger and fatter and less curvy all round.

I am up at Paine Field a few times a week. I saw the Thai 787 take off a few weeks ago but not sure of it was a delivery or one of the test flights. You can't really tell the difference between a 777 and 787 from a distance. But closer the size becomes apparent and once that close it us usually wheels down and the 777 has three wheel sets per landing gear and the 787 has but two. The 787 has scalloped engine cowling on the back side, and the 787 has what I can only describe as a tail nipple sticking out the rear of the aircraft.

As for those referencing the original battery issues with the 787, stop living in the past, the plane has proven to be remarkably reliable. Initial significant issues with new models is nothing novel in the aviation world.

Edited by Johpa

The 787 is a rare visitor to CNX. The 777-300 and sometimes 777-200(shorter but still huge) are common every day. The difference between a 777 and 787 is the 777 is bigger and fatter and less curvy all round.

I am up at Paine Field a few times a week. I saw the Thai 787 take off a few weeks ago but not sure of it was a delivery or one of the test flights. You can't really tell the difference between a 777 and 787 from a distance. But closer the size becomes apparent and once that close it us usually wheels down and the 777 has three wheel sets per landing gear and the 787 has but two. The 787 has scalloped engine cowling on the back side, and the 787 has what I can only describe as a tail nipple sticking out the rear of the aircraft.

As for those referencing the original battery issues with the 787, stop living in the past, the plane has proven to be remarkably reliable. Initial significant issues with new models is nothing novel in the aviation world.

It's not called the Screamliner for nothing!

They never did solve the battery overheating problem, they simply put it in a box to minimise the fire damage.

How much did they pay to get away with that "fix" I wonder?

biggrin.png