Best hospital to get mole(s) removed in Bangkok?

benj005

Hello all,

I had 2 suspicious moles removed on my lower back a few weeks ago. The report just came back. The one mole came back with a low chance of going melatonin. The only mole came back with a medium risk of going melatonin. They wanted me to come into the office to get the 2nd one extracted. The thing is I don't have insurance, and I'm going to be in Bangkok next week. I told them that I'm going to take care of it there instead. I have my report with me, and I will show this to the doctors. The cost to have one removed in New Jersey is just too much money for me. My bill to get those two moles removed plus a visit cost close to $800

I know that there are good foreign doctors in Bangkok, and with a large aging foreign population I would suspect that they do this type of thing quite regularly.

My questions are...

1) The best foreign hospital w/ foreign doctors to get my mole(s) removed?

2) What should I expect in terms of price?

I know that there are capable Thai doctors. I'm just concerned with facing a language barrier.

**This isn't for cosmetic reasons, so I want to go to a qualified doctor and not a clinic.

Thank you.

Edited by benj005

First of all, I don't think you need to be concerned about the language barrier. Doctors in the hospitals you would be interested in will be sufficiently capable in English.

I've never heard of a "foreign hospital" as such. The biggies in Bangkok - eg, Bumrungrad - are very reputable. Just do a little searching in the medical thread and you will get a better picture to ease your mind.

Prices? No idea. Hope someone can give you an indication.

I'm replying to this thread because I also need some moles removed, and I'd like the same info as you. I'm in the Thai social security system (free medical), but it ties me to a specific hospital, which I don't like, so I'm prepared to pay out of my own pocket to have the operation. I hope someone can give you (and me) a guide.

All the best.

First of all, I don't think you need to be concerned about the language barrier. Doctors in the hospitals you would be interested in will be sufficiently capable in English.

I've never heard of a "foreign hospital" as such. The biggies in Bangkok - eg, Bumrungrad - are very reputable. Just do a little searching in the medical thread and you will get a better picture to ease your mind.

I'm replying to this thread because I also need some moles removed, and I'd like the same info as you. I'm in the Thai social security system (free medical), but it ties me to a specific hospital, which I don't like, so I'm prepared to pay out of my own pocket to have the operation. I hope someone can give you (and me) a guide.

All the best.

That's true about the language barrier. I was basing my experience from the time I was teaching in South Korea. I had a difficult time finding a doctor who spoke English. Then again I was in an area that was 4 hours from Seoul. If I was in Seoul the chance of me finding a doctor who spoke English would have increased.

I'd expect the prices in Thailand to be relatively cheap compared to the prices back home.

If it's not cosmetic I'd get those moles removed immediately. We tend to overlook melatonin and this is a huge mistake. I would think that living in Thailand increases your chances of getting melatonin.

All the best.

I recall prices around 4,000-5,000 Baht per mole minimum and I was not offered a "quantity discount".

Best wishes to OP.

It's always difficult to get a ballpark figure for hospital prices here. For example, Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (notorious for its rip-offs of foreigners) wanted to charge me almost $70 US to have my ears cleaned out. Even in my country it would have cost only $40 at a private clinic.

I'll make a very wild guess, though, to have a mole removed - and it is very wild. Maybe something around $150-$200, including biopsy.

BTW, skin cancer is not a big issue in medical circles here, unlike Australia which supposedly has the highest skin cancer rates in the world. But I've had a lot of melanomas removed over the years here, and have encountered no problems.

All the best.

I recall prices around 4,000-5,000 Baht per mole minimum and I was not offered a "quantity discount".

Best wishes to OP.

Clutch, you need to get your operations at Makro Hospital.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Go to Isaan. I've had moles and verucas removed in small Isaan single doc clinics by scalpel and laser in the past and never cost me more than about 700 baht a pop. Quick, cheap, no-nonsense surgery. And never a problem. Scalpel is the preferred method, as it leaves a neater scar and heals quicker. Hospitals are more expensive and bureaucratic - would avoid them for simple procedures like this. wink.png

Costs vary wildly depending where you get done. I had 2 growths removed from my leg, plus biopsy (both benign, Thank the Lord) and that cost about $600 at one of the upmarket Hospitals.

I had a mole removed at a local clinic-type place and that cost about $50. Both places achieved the desired result with no complications

There are virtually no foreign doctors or hospitals. As said Thai doctors at Thai hospitals may have extensive foreign experience but even if not most will speak and understand English quite well. And if you do operation by a plastic surgeon I expect it will cost about the same as you paid in the US (I had two non mole but malignant growths removed by wide margin surgery and cost was 25,000 baht in full OR at major hospital (not the most expensive). Use of a normal surgeon could reduce price considerably I suspect.

I use a laser clinic in isaan. The last time I had 5 small moles removed it took 20 minutes and cost B1,000.

Don't need it now, but for future reference where is this clinic?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When there is a risk of melanoma it is important to have a doctor with experience treating skin cancers, which are rare in Thailand. That means a doctor trained in the West. Dr. Niyom at Bumrungrad is excellent for that.

Cos will depend on what exactly is needed. If it is only excision and biopsy of one mole then that will likely be about $200 US including the pathology. If there is a need to biopsy lymph nodes then it becomes more. I am not totally clear on what you need because you said 2 moles were removed but then later say you still need to have the second one removed?

Anyhow I suggest Dr. Niyom, western trained, very thorough. You can make an appointment online. Bring all records with you.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Niyom-Tantikun

• Like 1