internet options for uploading videos frequently

Rigby40

Hi all,

So, I upload quite a few videos(200 - 500mb each) every week. Well I did until I got to Bangkok, Thailand. Right now the internet I have at my apartment takes me about 8 hours-ish per video, and usually fails to even fully upload, so far no success.

Are there any options for this kind of use? I already went to True and AIS, but they told me that even their 21mbps 3g air cards would be too slow for me. I was also offered a year contract deal using a router, but it was still too slow at 1-3mbps and plus I won't be here that long.

Any hotspots that people use to upload videos? I don't mind going somewhere once a week, pay for a drink or something to upload all my videos as long as it's fast enough, that's what I did before in a different country.

Thanks for any help you can give

Hi Muratremix,

Thanks very much for the info. How does the Dtac wifi hotspot work? If it costs 100baht a month, I'm assuming they just give you a username and password to use at any hotspot during a month's time? Sorry I'm terrible when it comes to internet stuff! Thanks again.

Dtac wifi is 100 baht if you have dtac sim card I think. Although speedtest gives like 20mbit / 20 mbit in dtac wifi, they do throttle downloads however I'm not sure if they do throttle uploads aswell.

You can try to buy a dtac 4g sim card with some internet package to see if it'll work for you. They may not have 4G signal everywhere.

If you are serious about UPLOADING then you should be uploading using a FTP uploader such as FileZilla, but even then you are going to have a real problem getting any quality of service here in Thailand. Not only are the upload speeds available here in the lower digits but the system is not designed for uploading, and is barely acceptable for downloading

I would be interested in which "different" country you found acceptable upload speeds. Even here in the US my upload speed using cable Internet is just a fraction of my download speed

post-10942-0-37550400-1402665670_thumb.p

If you are serious about UPLOADING then you should be uploading using a FTP uploader such as FileZilla, but even then you are going to have a real problem getting any quality of service here in Thailand. Not only are the upload speeds available here in the lower digits but the system is not designed for uploading, and is barely acceptable for downloading

I would be interested in which "different" country you found acceptable upload speeds. Even here in the US my upload speed using cable Internet is just a fraction of my download speed

I would agree that a more robust uploader would be essential.

As most consumer households spend a majority of their time downloading, the ADSL and Cable Broadband UL/DL ratios are both by circuit limitation and design. If someone needs equal U/D speeds then they need to specifically order a Symmetrical Data Connection (and, unfortunately, pay the commercial rate).

I do wonder how the more than 200 individual International Internet Gateway routes/circuit UL/DL ratios are set up, are they purely Symmetrical, Asymmetrical or self-adjust as needed? I would guess that the contention on outgoing circuits are extremely low.

When I was a 3BB WiFi Hotspot user I really liked the 10 - 100 mbps connect speeds, but never tested the sustained upload speed via the IIG.

Well, I tried getting a 4G card with True but apparently they need a work permit from me and it was to be a year thing. And it was also only going to be about 4gb a month of 4G which is too little.

Didn't feel like anyone spoke English at dtac

So I ended up going with AIS, the 21mbps air card. 9gb a month for 699.

Funny thing is though, the upload speed is much faster than 'surfing' speed.

Unfortunately to cut down on cost and speed, i now have to compress my videos even further but it's at least much better than what I have at my apartment.

@Langsuan Man, I was using a router at my old apartment in Taiwan so maybe that's why I was having such super fast speeds. And I do use an FTP client but it still doesn't help as much as I'd like.