Let us understand Cultural Imperialism

CharlesHH

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The imposition of Western Laws is different from Cultural Imperialism. CI is the imposition of different customs and traditions and values such as Christian values and holidays. Valentine's Day, Gift giving on birthdays etc.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

In western country's

We learned from child hood, this is right and this is wrong, good or not good, if someone not reflect there opinion western people quickly aggressive!

The best example is a new worker

That must be teaches about work

And what he have to do and how

If he do something another style or in the eye of the boss wrong he not let him work finish, interrupt him told him you are wrong, he interrupt the worker in his work!

In Asia people can work there style

And no one will be here with the pointed finger to tell you what you are do is wrong!

Be patient look the worker make his work finish, without interrupting, by a person who mean knows everything better !

It's a part of our educational background

• Like 1

There are some of western cultures that Thailand should borrow including equality, human rights and rational thinking. Also, Thai women should not be so submissive to their man. I think those would benefit Thailand a great deal. It is quite alright to state opinion isn't it?

It is rather like wearing clothes in a nudist colony.

• Like 1

There are some of western cultures that Thailand should borrow including equality, human rights and rational thinking. Also, Thai women should not be so submissive to their man. I think those would benefit Thailand a great deal. It is quite alright to state opinion isn't it?

What are you saying? So Thailand should not change?

Yes in several ways. The photo brings up the injection of the modern into the ancient, the idea that Buddha has us in his hands, that the Western invention airplane is tiny in significance to Buddhism, that photos are fun "trump loy" Anglicized from French term, and that the photo will cause people to think and even ask questions.

Is your avatar related to the topic ?

Not so easy, but so necessary to UNlearn, like you say. Actually, many posts I read indicate Westerners can not and do not want to unlearn but to make Thailand over into their crappy place they left. I say Why do that?

When someone has spent 50 years or more living their life to a certain set of rules and behaviour, it isnt easy to adjust to a whole new concept and different set of rules and priorities.

I find its better not to sit in judgement but to make allowances for people to adjust. Some do some dont.

Its not easy unlearning !

• Like 2

If you start to paint the white stripes of a zebra black, how long before it becomes a just another black horse and the zebra is lost.

Just a thought.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

Dear Prince Charles, I do understand what you are trying to say.

However consider this.

Thai Language is 'tonal ' ... the tone changes the message or the words substantially.

The 'tone' of your OP is that of superiority ... of one who has reached enlightenment.

And we ... well we appear as just 'Grasshoppers' ... the ignorant masses.

Lower the tone. Talk with us, not to us.

Your words will have more meaning then.

BTW ... the people you refer to are from the USA ... not Americans ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

In western country's

We learned from child hood, this is right and this is wrong, good or not good, if someone not reflect there opinion western people quickly aggressive!

The best example is a new worker

That must be teaches about work

And what he have to do and how

If he do something another style or in the eye of the boss wrong he not let him work finish, interrupt him told him you are wrong, he interrupt the worker in his work!

In Asia people can work there style

And no one will be here with the pointed finger to tell you what you are do is wrong!

Be patient look the worker make his work finish, without interrupting, by a person who mean knows everything better !

It's a part of our educational background

you are not kidding? are you?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually I am kinda saying that if the West supplies a motorcycle to Thailand, and a Thai uses it to pull a plow, the Westerner should keep his mouth shut if all he can do is condemn this usage of the bike just because HE just KNOWS how a bike should be used. Not everything in Thailand is "up to you."

So what the OP is saying is that if the world or particularly the west invents or discovers something like a motorcycle, they shouldnt explain how to use it safely.

So if Thailand buys a nuclear reactor from the west, insisting that they use it safely equates to imperialism. Hmmmm

• Like 1

I will try to do as you say but it is a real challenge for a bodhisattva to do that and something he needs to be constantly aware of and correct. P.S., if you feel "talked down to," then bring yourself up.

However consider this.

Thai Language is 'tonal ' ... the tone changes the message or the words substantially.

The 'tone' of your OP is that of superiority ... of one who has reached enlightenment.

BTW ... the people you refer to are from the USA ... not Americans ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Som... has provided a perfect example of cultural imperialism.

the IMPOSITION of Western laws is the maximum of cultural imperialism. Brits were masters of that.

The imposition of Western Laws is different from Cultural Imperialism. CI is the imposition of different customs and traditions and values such as Christian values and holidays. Valentine's Day, Gift giving on birthdays etc.

• Like 2

I am saying Thailand is for Thai people. Change is for Thai people to decide. Nudity may make me uncomfortable but I'm not a nudist. I find it offensive that you think you know what is best for Thai people.

• Like 1

Yes in several ways. The photo brings up the injection of the modern into the ancient, the idea that Buddha has us in his hands, that the Western invention airplane is tiny in significance to Buddhism, that photos are fun "trump loy" Anglicized from French term, and that the photo will cause people to think and even ask questions.

"Trump loy"?

Oy vey! facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Actually I am kinda saying that if the West supplies a motorcycle to Thailand, and a Thai uses it to pull a plow, the Westerner should keep his mouth shut if all he can do is condemn this usage of the bike just because HE just KNOWS how a bike should be used. Not everything in Thailand is "up to you."

So what the OP is saying is that if the world or particularly the west invents or discovers something like a motorcycle, they shouldnt explain how to use it safely.

So if Thailand buys a nuclear reactor from the west, insisting that they use it safely equates to imperialism. Hmmmm

Well, what u are asking is for the westerner to park his brain at immigration. Now, on the OP about motorcycle accidents. I wouldn't go to the police to volunteer, but I sure as hell bought a lot of helmets in my time and insisted my kids never get on them.

Is that imperialism or plain good common sense?

However consider this.

I will try to do as you say but it is a real challenge for a bodhisattva to do that and something he needs to be constantly aware of and correct. P.S., if you feel "talked down to," then bring yourself up.

Great ... one less member I have to take seriously now.

Bugger ... I thought he was onto something.

He's not onto something ... he's into himself ... facepalm.gif

Edited for chronological accurateness

Edited by David48

and a Thai uses it to pull a plow, the Westerner should keep his mouth shut if all he can do is condemn this usage of the bike just because HE just KNOWS how a bike should be used.

But what if the Motorbike/Plough combination works and saves the Thai hours of backbreaking labour?

Are you going to shove your nose in then? because the Thai would probably tell you to Quack orf (missie).

Edited by HeavyDrinker

"Trompe-l'œil (French for deceive the eye, pronounced [tʁɔ̃p lœj]), which can also be spelled without the hyphen and ligature in English as trompe l'oeil,[1] is an art technique that uses realistic imagery to create the optical illusion that depicted objects exist in three dimensions. Forced perspective is a comparable illusion in architecture."

"Trump loy"?

Oy vey! facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Som... has provided a perfect example of cultural imperialism.

Really, so they should stuck in the past? They should not do things that improve their life? Please explain how Thailand would be for the past 20 years if they did not follow the western culture? Do you think you and others would have a comfortable life in Thailand if Thailand has not adopted the western cultures?

So, one's opinion become a judgmental in your mind? Who is passing a judgment now?

• Like 1

I am saying Thailand is for Thai people. Change is for Thai people to decide. Nudity may make me uncomfortable but I'm not a nudist. I find it offensive that you think you know what is best for Thai people.

Ok, if no one tells them or lets them see the different, how would they know? I guess the fancy words would be educated them and have them decide, right? So if you tell them how good the western cultures are, would that consider culture imperialism?

• Like 1