Let us understand Cultural Imperialism

CharlesHH

Some posters seem to feel that there is a perfection of culture that must never change. A more prosperous nation selling a popular item to its lesser is bound to defile them. They are so much better off to maintain exactly what they have and how they do it. In fact by this logic The Thais and other nations should outlaw recent technology and downgrade all there infrastructure several generations to be safe.

I don't think you're on the point here - I think if you look at the OP he was referring in particular to cultural IMPERIALISM - this has an implicit negative meaning accompanied by such concepts as domination and one-sided advantage.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see a Thai have a gun held to head and forced to eat at McDonald's or KFC. I prefer street stall chicken by far: cheaper, healthier, etc. Where I come from there are Thai restaurants all over the place, I think they even may outnumber all other Asian restaurants. Is that cultural imperialism? Friends would ask me to check my medication if I said such nonsense. It happens to be preference.

And how about spices used in Thai food? "Chili peppers originated in the Americas.[3] After the Columbian Exchange, many cultivars of chili pepper spread across the world, used in both food and medicine. Chilies were brought to Asia by Portuguese navigators during the 16th century." (wikipedia article)

Is it safe to assume that Thai food isn't Thai food? Borrowing from other cultures is diffusion. Calling it imperialism seems a cultural trait we have noticed among many natives here: xenophobia.

I have yet to see a Thai have a gun held to head and forced to eat at McDonald's or KFC. I prefer street stall chicken by far: cheaper, healthier, etc. Where I come from there are Thai restaurants all over the place, I think they even may outnumber all other Asian restaurants. Is that cultural imperialism? Friends would ask me to check my medication if I said such nonsense. It happens to be preference.

And how about spices used in Thai food? "Chili peppers originated in the Americas.[3] After the Columbian Exchange, many cultivars of chili pepper spread across the world, used in both food and medicine. Chilies were brought to Asia by Portuguese navigators during the 16th century." (wikipedia article)

Is it safe to assume that Thai food isn't Thai food? Borrowing from other cultures is diffusion. Calling it imperialism seems a cultural trait we have noticed among many natives here: xenophobia.

So I take it that you STILL don't understand what "cultural imperialism" is?

PS - Most Thai food is easily traced to China.

McDs Pizza slut, and K efen C are now solidly part of Thai culture in that most of the people alive here today don't know of a time when those places didn't exist, next generation will think they were invented here. Culture evolves or dies, static culture only exists in historical theme parks.

Pretty much every ingredient of som tam comes from america, papaya, chili, tomatoe.... peanuts from africa, lime is se asian.

Pretty much every ingredient of som tam comes from america, papaya, chili, tomatoe.... peanuts from africa, lime is se asian.

still no sign of any understanding of cultural imperialism though, is there?

Ok, so educate us please. As long as we are at it, didn't I read that the Thai (Tai) are a group that moved in from China and took over from indigenous Khmer and Mon groups? So could be argued that not only your cultural imperialism but plain old supplanting the locals and declaring selves "the right stuff". And foundation for racism as local groups were darker skinned than recent arrivals (historically speaking). Last thought: Thai embracing of Kpop and Jpop also cultural imperialism? Do you suggest Thailand emulate North Korea and shut down contact with outside world?

Please Mr. Pops, give us your short version of how MacDonald's employs cultural Imperialism in Thailand. Clearly you have strong thoughts on this issue and i would like to see how you have it worked out.

No Mr C - do the work yourself - as ever devoid of an argument you resort to a fatuous question...."employ cultural imperialism" - I think if you want to take part in the discussion then get up to speed firstly on the definition i've given above. If you then can construct a valid criticism of it we could have a discussion - she you understand the definition then apply it to companies like McD's and you will get your answer - it's there for all to see.

PS - so far not one person has disagreed with the definition I offered

Edited by wilcopops

Ok, so educate us please. As long as we are at it, didn't I read that the Thai (Tai) are a group that moved in from China and took over from indigenous Khmer and Mon groups? So could be argued that not only your cultural imperialism but plain old supplanting the locals and declaring selves "the right stuff". And foundation for racism as local groups were darker skinned than recent arrivals (historically speaking). Last thought: Thai embracing of Kpop and Jpop also cultural imperialism? Do you suggest Thailand emulate North Korea and shut down contact with outside world?

The definition is above - read it.

Please Mr. Pops, give us your short version of how MacDonald's employs cultural Imperialism in Thailand. Clearly you have strong thoughts on this issue and i would like to see how you have it worked out.

No Mr C - do the work yourself - as ever devoid of an argument you resort to a fatuous question...."employ cultural imperialism" - I think if you want to take part in the discussion then get up to speed firstly on the definition i've given above. If you then can construct a valid criticism of it we could have a discussion - she you understand the definition then apply it to companies like McD's and you will get your answer - it's there for all to see.

You know I gave you a fair chance to sound intelligent for once, It seemed like this was something you knew about.

Surely you could give your point of view in a few sentences. Why on earth get into a forum discussion when all you got is, do the work yourself.

I agree about people preaching to others on the improvements/advancements in other countries, most of the time people doing so only agitate others and nothing productive comes from it. I have to say though OP your ideology seems to suggest that Thailand can learn nothing from cultural norms or ideas created/developed in the west, which is completely false. A lot of advancements and cultural norms have been shared between Europe and Asia throughout history and this trend will undoubtedly continue despite how narrow minded some people would prefer to be.

You know I gave you a fair chance to sound intelligent for once, It seemed like this was something you knew about.

Surely you could give your point of view in a few sentences. Why on earth get into a forum discussion when all you got is, do the work yourself.

It seems to have eluded you that I've already put forward my argument...if you have a problem with that, why not formulate your own idea(s)?

Ok I went back several pages and here is what I think you mean by your 'argument'. and your wiki quote definition.

"...... the practice of promoting and imposing a culture, usually of politically powerful nations over less potent societies."

the IMPERIALISM implies the imposition of cultural values on another nation

​someone sitting in a bar bemoaning the "Thai Way" isn't a cultural imperialist as they haven't succeeded in imposing anything....apart from a bad feeling amonst his audience.

​Cultural imperialism is practiced by both governments and big businesses in the way they conduct their affairs with countries like Thailand "imposing" McDonalds, KFC, trade, aid, and other aspects of the more "powerful" country's interests.

​Fat kids and firearms could be regarded by some as products of cultural imperialism.....

Sadly, I don't see at all how you are connecting the dots here. You claim you made an argument but you just brushed over the whole thing. So once again, are you capable of putting into words how or in what way is MacDonald's in Thailand an example of cultural imperialism. I really want to know.

Ok I went back several pages and here is what I think you mean by your 'argument'. and your wiki quote definition.

"...... the practice of promoting and imposing a culture, usually of politically powerful nations over less potent societies."

​someone sitting in a bar bemoaning the "Thai Way" isn't a cultural imperialist as they haven't succeeded in imposing anything....apart from a bad feeling amonst his audience.

​Cultural imperialism is practiced by both governments and big businesses in the way they conduct their affairs with countries like Thailand "imposing" McDonalds, KFC, trade, aid, and other aspects of the more "powerful" country's interests.

​Fat kids and firearms could be regarded by some as products of cultural imperialism.....

Sadly, I don't see at all how you are connecting the dots here. You claim you made an argument but you just brushed over the whole thing. So once again, are you capable of putting into words how or in what way is MacDonald's in Thailand an example of cultural imperialism. I really want to know.

If you can't work it out - it will remain a mystery to you...as I'm sure do many things, i'm sorry but I won't engage in your silly little games. I really couldn't care less what you think you have already devalued yourself as beneath any serious discussion -

Edited by wilcopops

If you can't work it out - it will remain a mystery to you...as I'm sure do many things, i'm sorry but I won't engage in your silly little games. I really couldn't care less what you think you have already devalued yourself as beneath any serious discussion -

He asked it politely 2 times. What is stopping you to answer the question ?

• Like 1

My silly little games? You are the one making statements, refusing to explain them, and then calling people dumb when asking for clarity.

Your game is the silly one.

• Like 1

I find it ironic and funny that one railing against cultural imperialism would use a cultural technique ("Tromp loy") to illustrate his point!

I myself like this way of looking at things:

'Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests. But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.' -Buddha

Sounds like western values to me. Oh, I am a bodhisattva too, in case you were wondering.

Oh damn you and your logical truth. So case closed. Even Buddha said its OK to learn from falangs. Hooray for logic and learning.

A fascinating quote from the Buddha. And a great deal of truth reflected in it. The part that makes for complication is the mention of reason. It is a quality I do not see expressed that consistently here. I hope I am not being "imperialist" for saying that. I have had Thai people tell me that they have reason, but it is a Thai form of reason!

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app