Visa Extension/Run for me (and daughter?)

Hey Guys,

Il try make this as simple and direct as possible.

Me (27 year old English male, currently holding triple entry tourist visa 60 day) and my daughter ( 2 year old half Thai/half Farang) arrived in Thailand on the 22nd of April. Its the 13th today and I must renew on the 22nd.

I have just completed a CELTA course in Chiang Mai and am now in Korat where my daughter is staying with the mothers family.

I have a few questions here.

1st is where is best for me to do this and exactly where/how to do it, what process do I need to take (I have never stayed longer than 60 days before)

2nd I was under the impression my daughter being 2 years old stays on the parents visa, is this true? if not how/what do I need to get for her?

3rd is there an immigration office in Korat I can visit for an extension?

note: I spoke with an English teacher in Bangkok who told me he visits the Korat immigration office and gets a 90 day extension every time as he has a child in Thailand the same as me. He also is not married to the mother, he said it didn't matter you just need to take the birth certificate, a written letter from the family clarifying your stay with them at the family home and the address book of the (I think the blue colour book?)

Is there any truth in this, is this available? an extension to see a family member for such a long duration of 90 days? (he also only holds a tourist visa)

Please keep replies fairly simple and any stories about others ( I know I have included one) to a minimum. Also avoid any abbreviations i'm very unfamiliar with the terminology as this is all new to me. Thank you in advance for any replies :) much appreciated!!!

Oh, sorry I think you have misunderstood i'm asking genuine questions here. I'm confused as to why you speak of "revealing a story" and any legalitys of my situation, I think you mistake me for someone else.

My questions are:

1. is there an immigration office in Korat?

2. Does a child need their own visa when they are a certain age? and what age would this be?

3. Where is best to do a visa run if an extension is not the best option to use my 2nd entry on my tourist visa, as in where is closest?

I don't think this is hearsay on this site, I have found majority of the posts extremely helpful thus far, and look forward to more helpful posts.......

Being on a tourist visa, toward the end of your 60 day intermission to stay you can get a 30 day extension at immigration, cost 1900 baht.

Since you have a Thai child, you can get a 60 day extension at immigration , cost 1900 baht, "to visit your Thai family". The birth certificate with your name as the father and proof of address is required. You can only get one 60 day extension per entry.

Whichever option that you chose, you must use all of your entries on or before the "must enter by date" printed on your visa. Your visa is most likely valid for 6 months from the date that it was issued. It is only a ticket to enter Thailand and expires on the "must enter by date" even though your current permission to stay expires after that date.

• Like 1

You can get a 30 day extension for your 60 day tourist visa entry at the immigration office in Korat.

You can also get a 60 day extension (there is no 90 day extension) to visit your child. You will need her birth certificate and house book to get it.

Your child should of had of had a Thai passport to enter on.

She is not on your visa. She probably got a 30 day exempt entry. Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines but do get an overstay stamp when they leave the country. You could also get her a one year extension at immigration with proof of her Thai nationality.

If you were to legitimize your parenthood (How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father) you could get a one year extension of stay or a multiple entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

Oh really? that sounds great. I remember being told by the embassy and others flat out no marriage no non immigrant visa for "visiting a family member". So if I legitimize it I can get that visa nice. Il look to do that in the future.

Ok so what kind of proof would I need for her to prove her thai nationality? all we have is her british passport and birth certificate with us.

Oh really? that sounds great. I remember being told by the embassy and others flat out no marriage no non immigrant visa for "visiting a family member". So if I legitimize it I can get that visa nice. Il look to do that in the future.

Ok so what kind of proof would I need for her to prove her thai nationality? all we have is her british passport and birth certificate with us.

You should certainly do the legitimization. It will make you the legal father of your child.

Do you have a Thai birth certificate or just the one from the UK? You need proof that her mother is Thai which could just be house book and ID card.

• Like 1

yeah just the UK birth certificate. I am living in the family home with my daughter. The mothers sister can get the address book, not sure about ID card of the mother as she is still in England, is the ID card very important ? would a family members ID card suffice?

I would also apply for a Thai birth certificate, with the Thai embassy in London. That way the Thai nationality of the child is established and the Thai government will be aware of her existance. She can than get a Thai passport, etc.

The ID-card is important, a scan of it send by email to you and than printed wil do.

Since the birth certificate is in English her mothers ID card would help because it has her name in English. Immigration might accept a copy. Perhaps she could scan it and send it by email.

I suggest you go to the immigration office in Korat and ask what they require to do the extension under clause 2.23 of Thai Police Order 777/2551

Ah ok thanks guys been really helpful. Ok I messaged the mother asking her to make copies and send me. So I will have a UK birth cert, the address book with mothers name and familys names etc, and ID card copies. heading to Korat office on Monday.

Not sure what is the best way for me to get a non immigrant visa either as I cant stay here with just a tourist visa right. I have a job interview on Wednesday in Bangkok, so I guess I need to get a non immigrant visa to get a work permit? (insanely confused)

You can apply for the work permit with a tourist visa. You will need a non immigrant visa for it to be issued. If teaching you will not need the work permit application paper work to get a non-b visa other wise you need a letter of approval for the work permit application.

ok so exact steps I need to take? sorry for first timers in Thailand we never understand this :( its renowned for being one of the most complicated systems in the world for a reason hehe

so im currently holding a tourist visa and I will go for extension in the immigration office, after this I will need to ..."insert steps here" thankyyou in advice for your time really appreciate it

If working for a company

Apply for a work permit at Labor Ministry and get a letter of approval from them.

Make a trip to any nearby embassy or consulate to get a non immigrant B visa.

Pick up the work permit.

Apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

If teaching.

Make a trip to any nearby embassy or consulate to get a non immigrant B visa.

Apply for and obtain a work permit.

Apply for an extension of stay at immigration.