Historical fiction about Thailand?

cpbkk

I’m a voracious reader and historical fiction and biographical novels are genres of choice. I’m looking for more books about Thailand in these genres. I read Four Reigns two years ago, but haven’t found anything worthwhile since. Any suggestions?

Edited by Rooo
font

The Seal of Tammatari. J.C.Shaw. [DK Books, 1985]. A well-researched novel about life in Ayuthya and the fascinating career of Constantine Phaulcon, the Greek adventurer who became Chief Minister of Siam before losing his life in the Revolution of 1688.

Long out of print but still occasionally to be seen in the used bookstores of Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Worth looking for.

• Like 1

The Seal of Tammatari. J.C.Shaw. [DK Books, 1985]. A well-researched novel about life in Ayuthya and the fascinating career of Constantine Phaulcon, the Greek adventurer who became Chief Minister of Siam before losing his life in the Revolution of 1688.

Long out of print but still occasionally to be seen in the used bookstores of Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Worth looking for.

Thanks, Homeboy. I read the Falcon of Siam, which tells the same story, but the author fell short of my expectations. I'll definitely look for this version and appreciate the recommendation. I'll try Dasa Books as recommended below. Wish me luck finding it!

I don't know if I am allowed to advertise here, but try DASA bookshop in Bangkok. They have a huge range of books on all subjects and have a frequently updated list you can download. They accept returned books and deliver by Thailand Post.

No connection with me other than my being a most satisfied customer.

http://www.dasabookcafe.com

Didn't know this place existed -- exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for pointing it out.

Almost any book about Thai history is fiction by definition wub.png

Nonsense!

Primary sources abound.

Beginning in the 16th century, Europeans - mostly Portuguese, French, and English - left many first-person accounts of the Ayuthya kingdom.

The 19th century saw that tradition carried on by American missionaries, merchants, and diplomats. The Rattanakosin period in Bangkok produced an abundance of historical information from Thais and westerners alike.

To say that it is all "fiction by definition" is ridiculous.

• Like 1

If you cannot find it locally, you can order it through Amazon.

• Like 1

'The Ugly American'

Post-war film starring Marlon Brando, as an Ambassador-type.

Missus loved looking at it (just into the background though!! - for the buildings and the peoples floating in and out of scenes)

• Like 1

Thanks, Homeboy. I read the Falcon of Siam, which tells the same story, but the author fell short of my expectations. I'll definitely look for this version and appreciate the recommendation. I'll try Dasa Books as recommended below. Wish me luck finding it!

Also to be recommended is : Phaulcon. The Greek First Counsellor at the Court of Siam. By George A Sioris [The Siam Society.1998].

An excellent biography. Not historical fiction as such, but stranger than fiction, as the truth so often is.

Edited by CMHomeboy78
  • Like 1

Siamese White by Maurice Collis. The 13th elephant (I think that is the correct name) about the Death Railway being built).

One Thirteenth of an Elephant - it is a great book, but apparently illegal to have in Thailand according to the souvenir shop in Kanchanaburi. Accuracy of it's legality I know not, but it is certainly worth reading.

wasn't "One Fourteenth Of An Elephant" per chance??

... by Ian Denys Peek

.. a POW on the railway - these were his memoirs...so,

without actually getting a hold of it -it might not be a complete 'Fiction' after all?

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

interesting... after spending some days in ayuthaya, hubby (thai) has suddenly re-discovered an interest in history (never stayed in school as a child so relearning, so to speak and he was fascinated with ayuthaiya, the battle etc..)... but he needs simple books in thai or movies...

i however, like the list of books... and will search to find on kindle (cannot read regular print anynmore, bad eyesight)...

or send my father on a 'out of print' book hunt, to add books to my thailand collection (the only physical books i have anymore).

• Like 1

Siamese White by Maurice Collis. The 13th elephant (I think that is the correct name) about the Death Railway being built).

One Thirteenth of an Elephant - it is a great book, but apparently illegal to have in Thailand according to the souvenir shop in Kanchanaburi. Accuracy of it's legality I know not, but it is certainly worth reading.

Thank you. Do you know the author of One Thirteenth by chance?

What do you mean, that the Sukhothai Stone, attributed to King Ramkhamkaeng, is "historical fiction"?

That view has been expressed by both Thai and Western scholars since the early 1990s. Notably by Michael Wright and Piriya Krairiksh, both of Thammasat University.

The increasing suspicion is based on textual analysis. Some inscription phrases are taken verbatim from the writings of later kings, and others are common to 18th century Thai literature.

Nevertheless, the authenticity of the inscription was, and is, supported by many archaeologists and historians,; David Wyatt and Betty Gosling among them.

Meanwhile, the controversy remains unresolved.

As an afterthought... The Gentleman in the Parlour. W.Somerset Maugham. London 1930. Reprinted often.

An account of a journey the author took from Rangoon to Haiphong.

Travelling upriver on the Irrawaddy to Mandalay, on horse through the mountains and forests of the Shan States to the Siamese border fort at Mae Sai. Then on to the railhead in Chiang Mai where he continued the trip by train and boat.

This book can't be too highly recommended. Here he is on the Irrawaddy:

"Then I went to see the great bell at Mingun. Here is a Buddhist convent, and as I stood looking a group of nuns surrounded me. They wore robes the same shape and size as the monks', but instead of the monks' fine yellow of a grimy dun. Little old toothless women, their heads shaven but covered with an inch of thin grey stubble, and their little old faces deeply lined and wrinkled. They held out skinny hands for money and gabbled with bare pale gums. Their dark eyes were alert with covetousness and their smiles were mischievous. They were very old and they had no human ties or affections. They seemed to look upon the world with a humourous cynicism. They had lived through every kind of illusion and held existence in a malicious and laughing contempt. They had no tolerance for the follies of men and no indulgence for their weakness. There was something vaguely frightening in their entire lack of attachment to human things. They had done with love, they had finished with the anguish of separation, death had no terrors for them, they had nothing left now but laughter. They struck the great bell that I might hear its tone; boom, boom, it went, a long low note that travelled in slow reverberations down the river, a solemn sound that seemed to call the soul from its tenement of clay and remind it that though all created things were illusion, in the illusion was also beauty; and the nuns, following the sound, burst into ribald cackles of laughter, hi, hi, hi, that mocked the call of the great bell. Dupes, their laughter said, dupes and fools. Laughter is the only reality."

Your request was for historical fiction... according to Maugham, everything is in the end.

• Like 1

John Raulston Saul the noted Canadian Philosopher wrote 3 brilliant novels set in Bangkok and the region in the late 80's. The Paradise Eaters is the best. Hard to find a copy around the traps these days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app