Soccer Questions about the Game from a Newbie

David48

Soccer Questions about the Game from a Newbie

I played Soccer for a season when I was10 … that was a generation ago.

Some of the stuff I’m watching on the World Cup I don’t understand.

Can you answer from anyone who asks?

Yes it is because you kick the ball along one side causing it to spin in the air, as its spinning the air pressure is higher on one side causing the ball to move toward the low pressure side in return causing the ball to curve.

• Like 2

When the ball 'curves' in the air, is it because of the ball's design, the boot style, the kicking style .. or something else?

Yes, it's to do with design primarily. Gone are the days when the ball was made from heavey leather with a pigs baldder indside. The footballs these days are super light in comparison and really move and zip in the air when struck with force.

That said, in order to really curl a ball, the player will have to strike it in a certain way in order to make it bend. If you look at pretty much any free kick from David Beckham over the past 15 years (youtube) - this was his trademark.

More recently, Cristiano Ronaldo hits the ball in such a way that the loops and moves all over the place in the air - it's a different technique to Beckham's which also causes the ball to 'curve' so to speak.

• Like 1

That wouldn't be the diving aspect would it? Maybe when the touch judge referee holds aloft the board to indicate how much extra time is to be played, he could indicate, in marks out of ten for style and technique of each diving player.Sure to be numerous contenders for the diving Gold. Will be interesting to see how many yellow cads are shown for diving.

David, I don't know why the ball "curves", but I know it's called Football and not soccer.

Even for an Australian..............

Nope ...

We play, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Australian Rules and Soccer.

To call it 'FootBall' is just marketing.

That said, I easily recognise it as the world game.

And if you did a random sample across the Globe, most would refer to Soccor as Football.

Same as the USA calling itself America ... tis widely recognised ... but it's just marketing.

But Costas, my friend ... we digress.

Hey, which City outside Greece has the most Greeks?

David, I don't know why the ball "curves", but I know it's called Football and not soccer.

Nope ...

And if you did a random sample across the Globe, most would refer to Soccor as Football.

Same as the USA calling itself America ... tis widely recognised ... but it's just marketing.

Sorry, David, won't do that again.......promise.

I believe, Melbourne?

• Like 1

Nope ...

Rugby League, Rugby Union, Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football.... all theses can claim to be forms of football. But American 'Football' makes no sense. Only one guy ever kicks the 'ball' and he spend most of the game sitting in a chair on the sidelines.

Hey Costas ... you name it what you wish ... if it's Football for you ... great.

Just that most Australians call it Soccer.

FIFA - The Fédération Internationale de Football Association is the international

governing body of association football, futsal and beach soccer.

UEFA - Union of European Football Associations

FA - Football Association

CONCACAF - Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football etc, etc

And just for the Aussies, FFA - Football Federation Australia is the national governing body which organises the A-League, the W-League, the FFA Cup, the Australia national teams, and the nine state governing bodies of the game, among other duties.

The Aussie team at the World Cup are playing Football and are Governed by the FFA. No mention of Soccer anywhere.

To call it Soccer is just marketing smile.png

Hey Costas ... you name it what you wish ... if it's Football for you ... great.

Just that most Australians call it Soccer.

FIFA - The Fédération Internationale de Football Association is the international

governing body of association football, futsal and beach soccer.

UEFA - Union of European Football Associations

FA - Football Association

CONCACAF - Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football etc, etc

And just for the Aussies, FFA - Football Federation Australia is the national governing body which organises the A-League, the W-League, the FFA Cup, the Australia national teams, and the nine state governing bodies of the game, among other duties.

The Aussie team at the World Cup are playing Football and are Governed by the FFA. No mention of Soccer anywhere.

To call it Soccer is just marketing smile.png

Hi there mate.

No arguement there with the names you have produced.

Some great research ... thumbsup.gif

But to be frank ... it's still marketing.

For example ... the American USA 'World Series' ... is played only in the North American Continent, and no teams outside play. That's my understanding, happy to be corrected though.

Miss Universe ... humm ... Miss World I can believe ... but Miss Universe ... facepalm.gif

It's called a marketing differential.

The nickname for the Australian Team is the Socceroos

socceroos_scarf.jpg

That's their official merchandising.

The Soccer group in Australia would naturally wish to be seen on the world stage, so their name of 'FFA - Football Federation Australia' is totally understandable.

So, as to my original statement above, we Australians call it Soccer. You may wish to wander by this little gem ... Origins_of_Australian_rules_football

I totally agree that Soccer is the World Game. And it's a wonderfull game to watch at the highest level.

But as for naming rights ... it's just marketing smile.png

Edited by David48

It is a fine art,depends on how you strike the ball body position etc,if you want to keep it down body must be over the ball ,progresivley leaning back make's it go higher,ask Bobby Zamora,who seem to forget this and gave rise to the song[to the tune of amoure,by Dean Martin]

"if the ball hit's your head and your sat in row z[the highest row in most stadiums]

It's Zamora"

• Like 1