NCPO scraps 'One Tablet per Child' project

webfact

Military junta scraps children tablet project

tablet-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has scrapped the four billion baht tablets for children project for the 2014 fiscal year after seeing it does little to support education, and also is an unnecessary spending of national budget.

The termination of the project came after wide discussion with the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) to revise the project to distribute tablets to students last Friday.

The joint discussion ended with a conclusion that the project does little to support education, and also is considered an unnecessary spending of national budget.

The meeting agreed to shift the spending of the budget for children tablets to other projects instead.

The NCPO tasked 10 government agencies relevant to education to come up with more viable projects for consideration.

However the NCPO agreed to allow the delayed tablet delivery project approved during the 2013 fiscal year to go ahead.

Under the project, the OBEC will purchase tablets to deliver to Mor 1 level education students in Zone 4 covering schools in the North and Northeast regions who have not yet received.

But so far it was delayed after a Chinese supplier failed to supply within the delivery deadline, prompting the OBEC to call new bid, and file legal case against the firm.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-scraps-children-tablet-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-16

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to set up a pawnbroker's in the North, collecting pad parts for re-sale to China??

Edit: apologies, the idea is too good, and some mother <deleted>er will actually do it, and make a killing. cheesy.gif

Edited by UbonRatch

Thailand needs computer education in the classroom as a future investment, but the tablet was a vote buying and pocket filling scam by the PTP and of no real benefit.

May be time for computer education open to everybody not just children, maybe working as a cloud system where everyone's work is kept on a remote central computer and then "hot desking" on computers in schools or other places where citizens will be allowed so much time each week.

• Like 1

Good. Close the book on anything & everything PTP did; all was a major farce unparalleled in history by a bunch of greedy clowns.

The senior teachers at the schools will be rubbing their hands, back to 'the good old days' of selling books to the kids. Nice little earner back on track for them. The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

The tablet scheme did nothing to solve the problems you allege exist. If books are an issue, then the govt should have bought them.

Dear Mr. Spunk, You cannot have kids at an 'ordinary' Thai school, if you did you would know that the parents have to purchase books each term, these books cannot be handed down, the kids have to write in them so they are useless for further use. Why they don't just use 'normal' textbooks and write in 'jotters' I don't know other than the sales of books bring in big 'bucks' for the teachers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good. Close the book on anything & everything PTP did; all was a major farce unparalleled in history by a bunch of greedy clowns.

But also investigate all of PTP dealings ,for corruption and miss management.

The senior teachers at the schools will be rubbing their hands, back to 'the good old days' of selling books to the kids. Nice little earner back on track for them. The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

the trouble is/was these cheap knock off tablets provided by PTP didn't bring the kids into the 21st century in the first place Prem. As I said in an earlier post, in theory the idea of all school children been provided with modern educational tools to improve their learning experience is a noble one but unfortunately the whole scheme went pear shaped in it's implementation by PTP ( No Surprise there ). I kinda hope the next Govt reactivates this scheme and successfully provides the students with effective tablets.

• Like 1

The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

Proof it or shut up.

I will excuse your rudeness, just visit any school in Thailand, outside of the big cities, you will have your proof.

zamora he asked you to prove...are you going to or not...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The tablet scheme did nothing to solve the problems you allege exist. If books are an issue, then the govt should have bought them.

Dear Mr. Spunk, You cannot have kids at an 'ordinary' Thai school, if you did you would know that the parents have to purchase books each term, these books cannot be handed down, the kids have to write in them so they are useless for further use. Why they don't just use 'normal' textbooks and write in 'jotters' I don't know other than the sales of books bring in big 'bucks' for the teachers.

Oh dear, insults, you really should exercise more control before posting.

I did not say that kids do not have to buy books [don't have kids at any school, so do not know], my point is the tablet scheme was useless if it was aimed at solving teaching issues.

If the govt wanted to help the kids at school and books were an issue then PT should have spent money on them not tablets.

Was that too hard to understand?

Edited by Bluespunk

I did not say that kids do not have to buy books [don't have kids at any school, so do not know], my point is the tablet scheme was useless if it was aimed at solving teaching issues.

If the govt wanted to help the kids at school and books were an issue then PT should have spent money on them not tablets.

Sorry if you feel insulted, blame the guy who gave you the name "Blue Spunk".

Typical of this fella. Another post from him about the 'ammart conspiracy'. A post which as usual, has no proof. Just post for the sake of slamming the 'ammart' and raising post count. rolleyes.gif

".....and raising post count."

A bit late for that, it took me almost 12 years to reach 1,000 posts, how many posts do you have to your name?

Or even Blues Punk. Though as your 'apology' reeks of insincerity I guess you really don't care do you?

Back to the topic, do you agree the tablets were not the way to reform education?

Typical of this fella. Another post from him about the 'ammart conspiracy'. A post which as usual, has no proof. Just post for the sake of slamming the 'ammart' and raising post count. rolleyes.gif

A bit late for that, it took me almost 12 years to reach 1,000 posts, how many posts do you have to your name?

Oh my bad then! It has nothing to do with post count. You post just for the sake of slamming the unnamed and unseen 'ammart'. clap2.gif

Or even Blues Punk. Though as your 'apology' reeks of insincerity I guess you really don't care do you?

Back to the topic, do you agree the tablets were not the way to reform education?

On their own, the tablets were never going to reform an education system that would have been familiar to Dickens. The point is it may have been a step in the right direction, allowing children the opportunity to learn to use a piece of equipment that would give them access to far more information than a whole library of books would. As I said in an earlier post, the senior teachers have had a windfall by being able to supply the kids with books every term, big money for them.

Edited by PREM-R
  • Like 2

Oh my bad then! It has nothing to do with post count. You post just for the sake of slamming the unnamed and unseen 'ammart'. clap2.gif

....the unnamed and unseen and all powerful 'ammart'.

If they really want to get ahead of the game then perhaps they should start teaching electronics in schools alongside the usual 3 sciences. This World has become slaves to technology that less than 1% has the slightests clue on how it works.

Edited by TallPalm
  • Like 1

On their own, the tablets were never going to reform an education system that would have been familiar to Dickens. The point is it may have been a step in the right direction, allowing children the opportunity to learn to use a piece of equipment that would give them access to far more information than a whole library of books would. As I said in an earlier post, the senior teachers have had a windfall by being able to supply the kids with books every term, big money for them.

And as I said, buying books would have been more effective than tablets.

Tablets can be an aid to teaching but they are no solution to Thailand's issues of teaching methodology, low pay, resource funding and class sizes to mention a few.There is a desperate need for reform in Thailand's approach towards teaching and tablets were never the solution.

They might support a proper curriculum, but there has to be a proper curriculum first.That takes time, effort and proper funding. There are no magic cures such as tablets, if Thailand wants a decent education system then there has to be root and branch reform, not gaudy decorations.

Yinlucks election gimmick ----holding up a Samsung ??

• Like 1