Anyone ever had this problem?

Educational to Non-Ed Visa Change

My filipina GF has an educational visa, for which we paid 26,000 baht(good for 15 months and no 1,500 baht charge every three months). It expires September 11,2014. In the meantime, she enrolled at Burapa University, which offers students the opportunity to obtain a non-immigrant(non-ed) visa, good for one year, for 1,500 baht. The immigrant officer dealing with student visas, tells me she can renew her visa before it expires. I tried to explain that we want to change, not renew the visa, (for obvious reasons), but either they will refuse to do it(irregardless of whether we supply the proper forms from the university) or she didn't understand me.

Can this miscommunication (on either of our parts) be resolved so she can get the non-ed visa or are we locked in? At least we have until September 10th to figure it out.

My initial reaction is to have my GF bring in the forms from the university and see what happens. But I'm open to suggestions...

I think the problem is that you are mixing up visas and extensions of stay.

She can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon her attending the University during the last 30 or 45 days of the 90 day permit to stay she gets from her visa. She will need documents from the University to apply for it at immigration.

The fee for the the extension is 1900 baht not 1500.

You say 15 month visa but suspect it is either a one year extension of a 3 month visa entry (which the fee seems to indicate - official cost is 1,900 baht for any extension) or a one year visa that requires exit every 90 days for a new 90 day stay. If a one year visa and visa expiration date is Sept 11 she could get a new 90 day stay with an exit before that date.

As you mention not paying every 3 months question if this is normal visa for the area issued or something special from an agent that the new school may not want to have any part of?

Really?

You mean her 12 month educational visa includes an extension of 90 days? And that during the last 30-45 days of that extension, if she brings the forms from the university, she'll receive a one year extension? You are right about the 1900. I misread the amount. Can she reapply for another non-ed visa each year of her four years of college?

A visa only allows an entry of 90 days without exit be it single or multi (valid for one year of such entry). What does it say in her passport? I suspect she has a one year extension of stay for education rather than a visa and no she can not get an extra 90 days (or even leave Thailand with that - a re-entry permit would be require to keep it alive for the original one year).

Really?

You mean her 12 month educational visa includes an extension of 90 days? And that during the last 30-45 days of that extension, if she brings the forms from the university, she'll receive a one year extension? You are right about the 1900. I misread the amount. Can she reapply for another non-ed visa each year of her four years of college?

She's either on an extension or she's been granted permission to stay because of a visa, not both. Edited by Suradit69

I just looked at her passport. You are correct. She has a one-year extension until September 11,2014. Does that change her ability to get the one year non-immigration (non-ed) visa, provided she submits the university generated documents?

I just looked at her passport. You are correct. She has a one-year extension until September 11,2014. Does that change her ability to get the one year non-immigration (non-ed) visa, provided she submits the university generated documents?

A one year multiple entry non-ed visa would be applied for at an embassy or consulate not here at immigration.

She can apply for another one year extension of stay at immigration with documents from the university.

A one year non-ed visa would be applied for at an embassy or consulate not here at immigration.

She can apply for another one year extension of stay at immigration with documents from the university.

Will she be able to apply for more one year extension as long as she is a student at a Thai university? At least for 4 years until she graduates?