Should there be an "American section" to ThaiVisa?

CharlesHH

Given their track record, they'd struggle in Italy

It is estimated that between September 1943 and April 1945, some 60,000 Allied soldiers died in Italy. They did struggle in Italy. A lot of Americans are buried in there.

Edited by thailiketoo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Casablanca (1942) referring to 'Rick' played by Humphrey Bogart:

Major Strasser: You give him credit for too much cleverness. My impression was that he's just another blundering American.
Captain Renault: We musn't underestimate "American blundering". I was with them when they "blundered" into Berlin in 1918.
Edited by JLCrab

In France, they may have a chance

Battle of Normandy Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces. Of the Allied casualties, 83,045 were from 21st Army Group (British, Canadian and Polish ground forces), 125,847 from the US ground forces.

Some did some didn't have a chance. Twenty-seven war cemeteries in France hold the remains of over 110,000 dead from both sides: 77,866 German, 9,386 American, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadian and 650 Poles.

Edited by thailiketoo

Battle of Normandy Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead amongst the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths amongst the Allied air forces. Of the Allied casualties, 83,045 were from 21st Army Group (British, Canadian and Polish ground forces), 125,847 from the US ground forces.

Some did some didn't have a chance. Twenty-seven war cemeteries in France hold the remains of over 110,000 dead from both sides: 77,866 German, 9,386 American, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadian and 650 Poles.

Yes, correct, but they weren't fighting the French, they'd long since surrendered.

Yes, correct, but they weren't fighting the French, they'd long since surrendered.

The garlic eating surrender monkeys

• Like 1

Not cheese eating, soap dodging, garlic munching surrender monkeys?

• Like 2

Just what this topic was lacking -- a lot of cut-&-pastes from Wikipedia.

Well you started it.....when you commented on invasion's :lol:

Oh god, next we will have the Ocean and Sea debate

• Like 1

Just what this topic was lacking -- a lot of cut-&-pastes from Wikipedia.

Well you started it.....when you commented on invasion's :lol:
Oh god, next we will have the Ocean and Sea debate

Captain Crab reporting for duty.....Siiiir :P

There's no debate: A sea is not an ocean or else it would be called an ocean

What's a gulf then ? An ocean or a sea ?
I never found out if a channel is a sea or an ocean, or something to do with Gerbils.

Over to you Captain Crab

Edited by mrtoad

Ok, is a Gerbil a Rat or a Hamster?
Better ask Dr Will that one

I think Dr Will is a bit busy.....

Gerbil hunting ? Edited by Soutpeel

I am guilty of using English "slang" here as I am a Londoner, BUT, in LOS I have seen folk teach kids American English, I mean, can't instead of cannot. So to me it goes both ways, we all must learn. smile.png

Does Dr Will go both ways?

Gerbil hunting ?

Hide and Seek, maybe?

• Like 1

Like at the Battle of the Chesapeake. Who did they beat that day?

The Gerbils ?

• Like 1

It was inconclusive , according to history. Unless there was another battle between Gerbils and Hamsters?

• Like 1

Definitely not Mr. Toad.

Every Englishman knows that English cheese is better than French cheese (more variety & better taste)Think Stilton, Shropshire Blue, Wensleydale, Cornish Yarg, etc.

No, the French named themselves ‘Cheese eaters’ to try and sound sophisticated but the real cheese eaters are us Englishmen.

Granted, the French do come a good second but that seems to be a constant with the French.

• Like 1

Definitely not Mr. Toad.

Every Englishman knows that English cheese is better than French cheese (more variety & better taste)Think Stilton, Shropshire Blue, Wensleydale, Cornish Yarg, etc.

No, the French named themselves ‘Cheese eaters’ to try and sound sophisticated but the real cheese eaters are us Englishmen.

Granted, the French do come a good second but that seems to be a constant with the French.

I think Toady has given the French too much credit

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Definitely not Mr. Toad.

I think Toady has given the French too much credit

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and i think TonyTiger has given too much credit to C2H5OH today laugh.png

• Like 1

Again, if anyone actually believes there is going to be a segregated forum for Americans on the general forum here, I've got a bridge to sell you. Brooklyn, London, or any bridge you fancy really. So carry on with the predictable boring Yank bashing -- sarcastic, ironic, and sincere.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It was inconclusive , according to history. Unless there was another battle between Gerbils and Hamsters?

If the Battle of the Chesapeake hadn't happened, it is very likely General Washington wouldn't have won the Siege of Yorktown, and the American Revolution would have continued on for a lot longer than it did -- and may have been lost, in the end. It's a shame but typical that almost nobody remembers such a turning point in your country's history.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-forgotten-battle-which-won-the-american-revolution-2011-7

Actually the battle began a war that ended in an American Victory at the Battle of Bretton woods.