Grab this chance to reform education: Thai editorial

webfact

Oh No, not another repetitive article on education reform.

Do you think it needs to be repeated until something concrete is done about it? The good General seems pretty switched on so hopefully he will at least start to tackle this momentous problem that prevents young Thai minds from reaching their potential and holds the whole nation back.

• Like 2

Do you think it needs to be repeated until something concrete is done about it? The good General seems pretty switched on so hopefully he will at least start to tackle this momentous problem that prevents young Thai minds from reaching their potential and holds the whole nation back.

Education reform has been spoken about since Christ was a Lance Corporal and nothing concrete ever happens.

The good general can try to do something about it but will hit many roadblocks especially in school directors and teachers who will not / cannot change.

Given all the NCPO has taken on and is being encouraged to take on the country better get used to military rule for a very long time.

doremifasol post # 10

"Those in government have preached child-centered education development for decades;

now is the time to back those words with actions".

I would REALLY love to see that happen

"Those in government have preached child-centered education development for decades;

It was called ''Parliament'' and hardly a qualified success full of squabbling kids all of the time.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

If I see this again I am leaving Thailand ,(tomorrow) as this crops up about once a month , they have no intention of improving education and come to think of it, not much else will change either ,its Thailand ,therein lies the difference and the problem. coffee1.gif

I see military spending is up. No reforms there. Perhaps the military could show the way by diverting some of that money into education.

Or, where are the lottery proceeds? Surely this lottery crazy culture has the overflowing coffers to give a boost to education itself.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It might be good to start by allowing student to question the all knowing teacher. My experience teaches me that in thai schools there are 2 rules.

Rule 1. The teacher is always right. (Don't question the reason something is the way it is, just accept what I tell you)

Rule 2. If the teacher is ever wrong, refer to rule 1.

• Like 1

I see military spending is up. No reforms there. Perhaps the military could show the way by diverting some of that money into education.

Wonder if they can claw some of the CAPO budget spend back? There was a very large amount "spent" that seemed unaccounted for?

In some countries laws exist so politicians / civil servants can be help responsible for misspending as well as embezzlement. Wonder how Thai law is on this?

All the money recovered could be used on education improvements.

• Like 1

I remember speculation he wouldn't step in as he was so close to retirement. I never ever thought I'd approve of a military government but I agree with the article that now is an opportunity to get some good things done before putting the children back in charge.

Well, they're already reforming the education system to include more nationalistic content, more emphasis on respecting your elders & betters and that kind of thing: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-revise-school-curricula-stimulate-greater-patriotism-love-establishment/#

And these new text books will be produced within a month or two, apparently, so certainly the military is getting things done quickly. Also going to be more emphasis on songs:

Oh Wong-Arthichart @oh_kub · Jun 15

min. of edu. prepare to give 35 nationalistic propaganda songs to play in every school during morning and lunch break.

The lack of national pride these kids today have is shocking. They need to be taught how they defeated the evil Burmese all those years ago and were never colonized. That's what education should be all about. And I'm as confident as you are the good general is taking brave steps in the right direction. And let's not forget the valiant effort the Thai military made in resisting the Japanese. Those battles should never be forgotten. Thai kids should know their forefathers died protecting their country. Victory Monument stands as testament to their brave sacrifice.

I agree that education and teaching needs reform - but that's true in very many other countries. Thais seem particularly to lack knowledge about geography, history, and are not taught critical reasoning and dialogue. They seem to be taught to accept "facts" as presented rather than question, challenge and form their own ideas. Rote learning (which does have some uses), not wanting to loose face and show you don't know something by asking, fear of being wrong or putting someone else on the spot all contribute to this "uniqueness".

That's a very broad brush generalization. My wife has a BA and MEd. Outside of Thailand she is like any other person with similar academic and empirical background. Once back in Thailand, she reverts to "Thainess"; has to conform. I noticed the same thing in several other countries. When Thais group, they revert back to Thainess. Going to take some changing.

Thailand, like Japan, has been very negligent, through choice, about history surrounding WW2. But, many Thais did fight against the Japs, as resistance with allied hep, and many also perished as slave labor on projects like the death railway. Not all Thais cooperated with the Japanese. As usual, the powerful ones who did, would prefer that not to be studied, taught or remembered.

Had Britain and France not been over rules by the USA and real war criminal trials been held in S E Asia and Japan things may have been different.

• Like 1

Have you noticed a pattern, that every time a subject on TVF/Thai news has many good opinions and a general consensus of the subject, an editorial from the nation follows, espousing much of what our TVF members have been saying?

It is sad and a shame that the education system in Thailand is this way, most Thais are not slow learners or stupid, but I can say for certain that

whether deliberate or not the education system and the people that are providing the education are training young minds to be just that.

How do you repair a nationwide culture of this, how do you tell the all revered AJARN, that what you are doing is wrong and has never been correct?

And you now have to change what you have been doing for years and teach you pupils to be individuals, interact with the AJARN, question and debate what is being taught ??

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It might be good to start by allowing student to question the all knowing teacher. My experience teaches me that in thai schools there are 2 rules.

Rule 1. The teacher is always right. (Don't question the reason something is the way it is, just accept what I tell you)

Rule 2. If the teacher is ever wrong, refer to rule 1.

I'm sure that's true and agree that it is a hindrance to good learning.

However, in the private schools it's worse;

Rules for Teachers

1. The student is the customer, he is always right.

2. The student is the customer. Make him happy, don't bore him with lessons.

3. The student is the customer. He paid for an education. To prove to the world that he received an education, he needs a certificate. Pass him and give him his certificate.

The last school I worked at before giving up on teaching, because of the headaches from banging my head against the wal, l was a technical one in a rural area.

All the students were on a 100% govt grant so if they walked out for any reason the grant went with them.

The school's discipline was a joy to behold as it was so crazy. Lateness, males with long hair and anything outside the school that might damage the ' image ' was jumped all over and often dealt withby corporal punishment but in class etc. the students could more or less do what they wanted and did.

I threatened to throw a couple of boys out of an exam for continually talking and was later ' advised ' that was not the thing to do.

I don't know how much the students picked up on the vibes that the school lived in fear of them going elsewhere and costing the owners govt money.

• Like 1

I remember speculation he wouldn't step in as he was so close to retirement. I never ever thought I'd approve of a military government but I agree with the article that now is an opportunity to get some good things done before putting the children back in charge.

Well, they're already reforming the education system to include more nationalistic content, more emphasis on respecting your elders & betters and that kind of thing: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-revise-school-curricula-stimulate-greater-patriotism-love-establishment/#

And these new text books will be produced within a month or two, apparently, so certainly the military is getting things done quickly. Also going to be more emphasis on songs:

Oh Wong-Arthichart @oh_kub · Jun 15

min. of edu. prepare to give 35 nationalistic propaganda songs to play in every school during morning and lunch break.

The lack of national pride these kids today have is shocking. They need to be taught how they defeated the evil Burmese all those years ago and were never colonized. That's what education should be all about. And I'm as confident as you are the good general is taking brave steps in the right direction. And let's not forget the valiant effort the Thai military made in resisting the Japanese. Those battles should never be forgotten. Thai kids should know their forefathers died protecting their country. Victory Monument stands as testament to their brave sacrifice.

I agree that education and teaching needs reform - but that's true in very many other countries. Thais seem particularly to lack knowledge about geography, history, and are not taught critical reasoning and dialogue. They seem to be taught to accept "facts" as presented rather than question, challenge and form their own ideas. Rote learning (which does have some uses), not wanting to loose face and show you don't know something by asking, fear of being wrong or putting someone else on the spot all contribute to this "uniqueness".

That's a very broad brush generalization. My wife has a BA and MEd. Outside of Thailand she is like any other person with similar academic and empirical background. Once back in Thailand, she reverts to "Thainess"; has to conform. I noticed the same thing in several other countries. When Thais group, they revert back to Thainess. Going to take some changing.

Thailand, like Japan, has been very negligent, through choice, about history surrounding WW2. But, many Thais did fight against the Japs, as resistance with allied hep, and many also perished as slave labor on projects like the death railway. Not all Thais cooperated with the Japanese. As usual, the powerful ones who did, would prefer that not to be studied, taught or remembered.

Had Britain and France not been over rules by the USA and real war criminal trials been held in S E Asia and Japan things may have been different.

Correct! As in Unit 731 for example.

It is sad and a shame that the education system in Thailand is this way, most Thais are not slow learners or stupid, but I can say for certain that

whether deliberate or not the education system and the people that are providing the education are training young minds to be just that.

How do you repair a nationwide culture of this, how do you tell the all revered AJARN, that what you are doing is wrong and has never been correct?

And you now have to change what you have been doing for years and teach you pupils to be individuals, interact with the AJARN, question and debate what is being taught ??

The only place to start is with teacher training, but it will take a generation. There's a move in western education from teacher centered to student centered philosophy, but that will take a generation to achieve. The old strict rigid disciplinarian teacher is considered out of touch nowadays; students have been proven to learn better in supportive nurturing flexible environments.

Surely there are enough foreign educated Thai's who could influence the system. Many degree and higher qualified Thai's seem to lack any intellectual curiosity or critical thinking skills. What an absolute shame if one of the earlier links is correct and the NCPO's only plans for education are introducing patriotic songs and greater nationalism in the curriculum - absolutely no research performed or time and effort put into a plan for long term improvements - just further brainwashing brain numbing garbage propaganda. For a start decisions like that would take months and years in the west.

Perhaps modeling an education system that meets the 21st century would be a better solution. Since the curriculum

and the method to which it is taught is unquestionably inadequate. They could partly adopt a policy based on neighbouring

countries like Singapore which have proven record of consistency, and high standards.

I think the education should focus on patriotism, highlight the benefits of feudalism and military rule, it should teach the children to obey orders from superior people and not to think independently. Like that Thailand would be a happy and proud nation who looks down on foreigners of all kinds. In universities rich students should get a degree even if they aren't qualified so that they can rule the country and build a competitive economy. I think unelected governements are the most qualified to undertake reforms that will affect the country for decades to come, change the constitution, the electoral system, put some neutral friends in the judiciary, so that future elected governements have not much power even if they win the elections. This could be a long lasting recipee for peace, justice harmony and happiness.

• Like 1