NACC plans more efficient fight against corruption

webfact

NACC plans more efficient fight against corruption
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission will work closely with state agencies to make the fight against graft more efficient and effective.

The National Council for Peace and Order has given eradicating corruption a high priority and instructed the NACC to take a unified approach in tackling the problem and act as the prime mover with support from state agencies, Sansern Poljiak, secretary-general of the NACC, said yesterday.

The agencies that will share the NACC's responsibilities and duties are the Justice, Social Development and Human Security, and Education ministries and the Public Sector Development Commission, he said.

The NACC and the agencies would cooperate in formulating a strategy under a five-year plan that would ensure they all proceed in the same direction.

"The NACC had been the only organisation addressing this mega problem. The integrated approach will increase efficiency and help us achieve better results,'' he said.

The NACC agreed to take the lead in combatting corruption for fiscal 2015 since the agencies face time constraints in drafting projects and providing spending details.

However, to comply with the second stage national agenda on anti-corruption strategy (2013-17), the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission should take over as the major agency responsible for the campaign against corruption in 2016, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-18

An encouraging move and let us hope that it will be an ongoing campaign.

Corruption the abuse of power and position can never be totally eradicated due to those who wield the power and those who desire to benefit from such characters. However putting the dog on a leash is always a fine control method and the N.A.C.C. seems to be trying to do just that with the dog of corruption.

dog%20pulls%20on%20leash.gif

• Like 2

Oh "bloody hell" PUNISH (jail) THE OFFENDERS --- see corruption diminish right before your very eyes. Like the adages:

- If there is no punishment there is no crime

- When the pain outweighs the pleasure they you/they'll change.

STOP talkin shit. ACT ACT ACT damn... sorry a bit riling and I have not even read past the headline yet. lol my bad. 15_8_218.gif15_8_218.gif000203E0.gif

The measures taken are all Thai , not a good start to remedy a problem that's century's old , what is required is recommendations from other government agency's in the west and introduce real reforms, , avoid anything Asian like the plague, except Singapore, Asia is the most corrupt part of the world, level pegging with Africa, until you do Thailand, it's business as usual. coffee1.gif

corruption is endemic here, every department has their little side earners or their special days/nights out paid for by their customers. Even though the customers are doing everything legally the govt offices demand extra or they stall and refuse to allow them to do what they have legally paid for and have paperwork to allow it to happen. I regularly watch payments of over a hundred thousand baht a month to a local govt agency that they demand or they will stall the process which will cost the company many hundred thousand of baht in late fees. Another demands an expensive outings for all the office costing many thousands of baht and this is done with each different regular customer, if the customers do not do as they are requested their applications are simply put on the back burner and ignored. For govt offices making customers pay thousands of baht for them to do what the govt already pays them to is extortion plain and simple but here it is second nature, to see an end to it would be very welcome.

• Like 1

Perhaps they could find the time to investigate the toll gate operators, many of them are corrupt thieves they will both not give you a toll gate slip and pocket the money, or they will give a false slip and pocket the money, or they may short change you. This is a practice that has been going on for a long time especially with foreigners and during rush hour traffic.

corruption is endemic here, every department has their little side earners or their special days/nights out paid for by their customers. Even though the customers are doing everything legally the govt offices demand extra or they stall and refuse to allow them to do what they have legally paid for and have paperwork to allow it to happen. I regularly watch payments of over a hundred thousand baht a month to a local govt agency that they demand or they will stall the process which will cost the company many hundred thousand of baht in late fees. Another demands an expensive outings for all the office costing many thousands of baht and this is done with each different regular customer, if the customers do not do as they are requested their applications are simply put on the back burner and ignored. For govt offices making customers pay thousands of baht for them to do what the govt already pays them to is extortion plain and simple but here it is second nature, to see an end to it would be very welcome.

It sure would help to curb inflation if people just stopped paying the perks and bribes. For a bully to exist he needs someone to bully. For a theif to exist he needs someone to steal from. For corruption to exist their must be people willing to pay. Unfortunately, the last time I read a survey, I think it said that something like 70% of Thais are OK with corruption as long as they benefit from it. So it may be good to start educating the people who are willing to part with their Baht for personal gain. Methinks education is in order.

• Like 2

Oh "bloody hell" PUNISH (jail) THE OFFENDERS --- see corruption diminish right before your very eyes. Like the adages:

- If there is no punishment there is no crime

- When the pain outweighs the pleasure they you/they'll change.

STOP talkin shit. ACT ACT ACT damn... sorry a bit riling and I have not even read past the headline yet. lol my bad. 15_8_218.gif15_8_218.gif000203E0.gif

-

To quote you, STOP talkin shit..."If there is no punishment there is no crime", never heard that adage before, what does it mean? I would have thought the opposite was more likely.

if you read some thai history, it was always acceptable to some extend that politicians were corrupt and took large amounts of tax payers money away, as long as they did not exgagerrate ...

just check the wealth of all politicians, and even army generals (what do they earn per month/year) to see how rich they are / live

It sure would help to curb inflation if people just stopped paying the perks and bribes. For a bully to exist he needs someone to bully. For a theif to exist he needs someone to steal from. For corruption to exist their must be people willing to pay. Unfortunately, the last time I read a survey, I think it said that something like 70% of Thais are OK with corruption as long as they benefit from it. So it may be good to start educating the people who are willing to part with their Baht for personal gain. Methinks education is in order.

There's another thing to be said about your first lines as well. There would be a lot less wrongdoings if there were someone there to actually protect the people from the bullies.

An encouraging move and let us hope that it will be an ongoing campaign.

Corruption the abuse of power and position can never be totally eradicated due to those who wield the power and those who desire to benefit from such characters. However putting the dog on a leash is always a fine control method and the N.A.C.C. seems to be trying to do just that with the dog of corruption.

dog%20pulls%20on%20leash.gif

Thailand the Hub of broken promises

NACC will need to do a lot more to demonstrate to the general public that they are apolitical, impartial and not do the bidding for certain groups. Their track record of lobsideness in only pursuing selective targets are damaging their image as an independent corruption agency.

The measures taken are all Thai , not a good start to remedy a problem that's century's old , what is required is recommendations from other government agency's in the west and introduce real reforms, , avoid anything Asian like the plague, except Singapore, Asia is the most corrupt part of the world, level pegging with Africa, until you do Thailand, it's business as usual. coffee1.gif

Singapore is not corrupt?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In snowballs hell chance

Rearrange the above words to see the chances of eradicating or even significantly reducing corruption in Thailand in the lifetime of anyone around now.

To have any minimal chance it must start at the very top and the chances of that are very close to zero.

• Like 1

They need to take a much more serious approach,where no one is exempt

from punishment no matter how well connected,put a few of those influential,

people away for several years if found guilty,or take the Chinese approach,

bullets are cheap.unless the punishment fits the crime,nothing will change.

regards woegeordie

In snowballs hell chance

Rearrange the above words to see the chances of eradicating or even significantly reducing corruption in Thailand in the lifetime of anyone around now.

To have any minimal chance it must start at the very top and the chances of that are very close to zero.

For the "very top" they are zero, not just "very close".

Even reasonably close to "the very top" but across the power/political spectrum would be impressive. But for that too they are close to zero.

• Like 1

Wow, the NACC being asked to do its job.....

Since they were appointed, exactly how many people have been charged....

If anything they should be strung up for negligence and sheer incompetence, but i am sure just like the coup, this time will be different..........

I think central and west Africa is at least as corrupt as Thailand, if not more so.

And my guitar gently wails to that same old song!

When all life has died out on this planet, then I will believe that all corruption has been eliminated in Thailand. Until that happens I will never be foolish enough to be fooled by misleading headlines.

In snowballs hell chance

To cap it all we had 3 years of doing nothing, after all the news and TV coverage of Yingluck/cabinet members. TO ERADICATE drugs and corruption.

Then all of a sudden it was forgotten, when they realized they would shoot themselves in the foot if they started at the top.

Can only succeed if the dog is given teeth, and is encouraged to bite.

I lived in Hong Kong for 18 years. There, the ICAC as it was (and still is) called, had teeth, and, wow, used them.

Hotline set up. Citizens, irrespective of social standing or wealth index, encouraged to report all corruption- big and small.

Midnight knocks on the door by the ICAC were not uncommon.

I personally know of cases of Hong Kong locals and expats banged up or facing charges for corruption.

Not eradicated corruption, but has certainly made the whole HK community aware of the consequences of getting caught.

Worth a read, Thailand's NACC. you might even get a visit or two out of it, if the junta will 'pay' for the trip.

http://www.icac.org.hk/en/home/

There was a story about a sting operating a few days ago - caught a big boss who was demanding a kickback. We need to have more of this. Thailand needs to have its Abscam operation like the US did back in the 70s.

Think it was this or yesterday morning I read it in the BKP but cant find it now, possibly pulled for some reason.

From what I remember it seems the head of the department that is tasked with procuring food for prisons had demanded 1.5 million from a contractor that had won a contract to supply 7.5 million of fresh food, he was caught receiving 1 million in cash from the contractor as a down payment on the 1.5 million.

Hope to hear more of that, it would be a good start.