Bad monks beware -- Thailand launches behaviour hotline

Lite Beer

Also need one for politicians, taxi drivers, business owners, police, in fact everyone

What about young children? No, better still, a hotline to report them when they are still in the womb!

Good.

About 5 months ago, I saw a fairly young guy dressed as a monk and a gang of about 8 guys and a beat up pick up truck, going house to house in my village in the afternoon, I presumed asking for money. The monk was out on the road, walking fast and giving orders like a squad leader. It looked strange to me.

Just so happened my BIL, who is a monk at a distant temple, was visiting us/parents at the house that day, sitting at the concrete picnic table in his robe. This group did not call up to us or come up the driveway, and kept on moving to other houses. I asked the wife what that was all about and she said they were dodgy and most likely, when they saw her brother sitting at the table, they didn't want to approach. I don't care for religion in the first place, but that pissed me off.

• Like 1

"Last September, authorities seized nearly $800,000 worth of assets, including a Porsche and a Mercedes-Benz, from a monk who was defrocked for a controversial trip in a private jet and who was also accused of fathering a child by an underage girl a decade earlier."

Was that monk not a key leader in the PDRC movement this year?
Still dressed as a monk and receiving lots of money?
As far as I remember, a hotel paid him also a lot of money because they refused to give him a room.

How can a defrocked monk, lead the PDRC movement for months in a monk habit?

Looks to me that this all a smoke screen to keep the people happy.

Also need one for politicians, taxi drivers, business owners, police, in fact everyone

What about young children? No, better still, a hotline to report them when they are still in the womb!

Got that right. Pets too. Dogs, cats, budgies...the lot

"...Buddhism, a religion that counts an estimated 95 percent of its 67 million population as devotees...."

i'm not so sure how accurate that is. i don't believe it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

Buddhism in Thailand is largely of the Theravada school. Nearly 95% of Thailand's population is Buddhist of the Theravadaschool,

OK don't believe it.wai.gif

• Like 1

There are many hot lines, maybe they will be told to answer the phone more often... whistling.gif

Edited by Basil B

"...Buddhism, a religion that counts an estimated 95 percent of its 67 million population as devotees...."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

Buddhism in Thailand is largely of the Theravada school. Nearly 95% of Thailand's population is Buddhist of the Theravadaschool,

OK don't believe it.wai.gif

What % of the population is less then 6 years old?

Babies of the Theravada school, yeah right.

Statistics......

• Like 1

There are many hot lines, maybe they will be told to answer the phone more often... whistling.gif

We need a hot line to report hotlines that undertake no action when we contact them.

• Like 2

"Last September, authorities seized nearly $800,000 worth of assets, including a Porsche and a Mercedes-Benz, from a monk who was defrocked for a controversial trip in a private jet and who was also accused of fathering a child by an underage girl a decade earlier."

Was that monk not a key leader in the PDRC movement this year?

Still dressed as a monk and receiving lots of money?

As far as I remember, a hotel paid him also a lot of money because they refused to give him a room.

How can a defrocked monk, lead the PDRC movement for months in a monk habit?

Looks to me that this all a smoke screen to keep the people happy.

Why do not you find out about Google being your friend, not the same monks, as the bad one is in the states.

• Like 2

Here's an idea for a "hotline": create a smartphone app that records video, tags the gps location and automatically uploads to a government server in order to be investigated. Many Thais already have a phone capable of that.

Now this is big news and reform - Going after bad monk behavior. And the generals are just the ones to determine what is bad behavior and good behavior. They are the last stop for righteousness. The buck stops with the generals of the Thai army.

We need a hot line to report hotlines that undertake no action when we contact them.

Ever tried getting a response from an embassy's ' duty officer on a Friday afternoon ? Maybe their golf course is a mobile phone reception black spot.

• Like 2

I gave up on religion more decades ago than i care to remember but i do admire those who genuinely believe and don't ram it down other peoples' throats.

Many involved with all religions simply go through the motions for many reasons including pressure and expectation from family and peer groups and I see a lot of that here.

However, Buddhism is one of Thailand's mainstay institutions and I wonder how many Thais would dare to use the hotline to complain about a monk fearing an adverse response from family and friends or because they think it will not do any good since Buddhism is one of the country's ' untouchable ' pillars.

Believe it mate. It's fairly accurate, apart from that small spelling mistake:

Buddhism, Bath-ism, a religion that counts an estimated 95 percent of its 67 million population as devotees. thumbsup.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Good they started this hotline. I hope many people will open there eyes about all the misbehavour of the monks which are created by the wrong way Buddism is practiced here.

But also educate all people who go to temples and donate to monks.

You already donate food, you can donate something for maintenance or upkeep of the temples, but keep it within normal amounts.

But monks are supposed not to have assets.

Please stop donate absurds amounts to the monks. If you donate 20-200 baht in envellope it should be more than enough.

Stop, stop, stop the amounts of 500, 1000 or more.

Realise a minimum salary is about 200-300 baht a day, A very good salary is about 1000-2000 baht a day.

So stop to donate 500 or 1000 baht to every monk is just not right..

You know, my 10 year old, said he will be a monk later in live, because they have alot of money.

Something is wrong here !!!

• Like 1

Here's an idea for a "hotline": create a smartphone app that records video, tags the gps location and automatically uploads to a government server in order to be investigated. Many Thais already have a phone capable of that.

Only a matter of time. The app will also have facial recognition software that will give you their name, address, and mothers maiden name.

Big-Brother.jpg

• Like 1