What is happening with prices, and Thanks to this forum

johnmcedinghburg

For certain items, we do our shopping , several days a week, at Muang Mai Mkt.

This morning [sunday] between 5:30 & 6 AM it looked like a ghost town. Very very few people to be seen and many of the stalls not even opened.

Without a doubt the quietest I have ever seen this market and trust me we have quite a few years of history of going there.

But I want to point out something very strange about the seller pricing

1 year ago, first week June 2013, tomatos in a 5 kilo bag sole for 10 baht per kilo

This year, first week June 2014 , 2 weeks ago tomatos in a 5 kg bag were 8 baht per kilo

Today they wanted 60 baht per kilo ...... when asked why ???? answer given was that there were so few people that they had to raise the price.

Forget discussion with them...... easier to talk logic with a rock.

The worst item for rapid spread that I have seen is lettuce.... and I am going to have to look up some past records for exact dates and prices for that.

PS Maybe all the red fruity veggies have been tomatonapped and there is now a shortage. Probably cheaper to pay the tomatonappers the ransom than the new market price.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices are going up but then again it's not a surprise wink.png

Maybe it's about time to give up western products, shopping malls and go for Thai food and shopping at regular Thai markets. Their prices will eventually go up too but not to a level where Thais would cry about that on forums wink.png

" Prices are going up but then again it's not a surprise"huh.png

Why isn't as a surprise? It's a surprise when the politicians and central banks keep telling us there is no inflation! rolleyes.gif And this is just the beginning………….. you ain't seen anything yet

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/inflation-only-if-you-look-at-food-water-gas-electricity-and-everything-else

Maybe it's about time to give up western products, shopping malls and go for Thai food and shopping at regular Thai markets. Their prices will eventually go up too but not to a level where Thais would cry about that on forums wink.png

Why isn't as a surprise? It's a surprise when the politicians and central banks keep telling us there is no inflation! rolleyes.gif And this is just the beginning………….. you ain't seen anything yet

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/inflation-only-if-you-look-at-food-water-gas-electricity-and-everything-else

Don't feel good about your prediction........ suggestion to you..... stick with mufflers....tongue.png

This morning [sunday] between 5:30 & 6 AM it looked like a ghost town. Very very few people to be seen and many of the stalls not even opened.

Without a doubt the quietest I have ever seen this market and trust me we have quite a few years of history of going there.

1 year ago, first week June 2013, tomatos in a 5 kilo bag sole for 10 baht per kilo

This year, first week June 2014 , 2 weeks ago tomatos in a 5 kg bag were 8 baht per kilo

Today they wanted 60 baht per kilo ...... when asked why ???? answer given was that there were so few people that they had to raise the price.

The worst item for rapid spread that I have seen is lettuce.... and I am going to have to look up some past records for exact dates and prices for that.

PS Maybe all the red fruity veggies have been tomatonapped and there is now a shortage. Probably cheaper to pay the tomatonappers the ransom than the new market price.

I went early to my local market on Saturday and beefsteak tomatoes were in very short supply. Have you considered that this price rise might be due to the fact that lots of Cambodians are fleeing the country in the face of an immigration crackdown by the current government.

I remember when people like this were calling for an independent way of verifying inflation. And when M.I.T. came up with the billion price index they were all excited about the prospect of being proved right. Well, what the index actually showed was that the western governments were doing a very good job of tracking inflation. IN fact, inflation in Europe and the USA is currently too low.

As for inflation and food prices, food prices are always volatile and a very bad way to determine what the underlying inflation rate is.

Read now all posts here but some important facts missing about the rising of the coffee price!

It's not only inflation!

The plants of coffee trees of arabica etc have big problem with insect invasion in there country of origin!

And this make world market prices higher!

Want order hill tribe coffe online bit after talking about what I want order

Shop not want give me the bank number!

And about Starbucks , bought all beans in Geniva Switzerland , and don't pay any taxes , using same system like amaon!

In Germany!

Read now all posts here but some important facts missing about the rising of the coffee price!

It's not only inflation!

The plants of coffee trees of arabica etc have big problem with insect invasion in there country of origin!

And this make world market prices higher!

Want order hill tribe coffe online bit after talking about what I want order

Shop not want give me the bank number!

And about Starbucks , bought all beans in Geniva Switzerland , and don't pay any taxes , using same system like amaon!

In Germany!

Diseases, droughts, floods. Three good reasons why you shouldn't base estimates of inflation on food commodities.

Not all of us are scraping by. I don't know if you noticed, but every single supermarket in Chiang Mai, be it Rimping or Big C, has a majority of Thai shoppers. The only people crying on forums are farangs, most of them much better off than the average Thai.

Most of the pensioners here have an unusual negative obsession about Rimping. I wonder if they ever, back home, whinged about equivalent stores. For example, if they are British, did they ever write into forums claiming that shoppers at Waitrose or M&S were being ripped off or were foolish, and that they should buy all their fresh produce at the local wholesalers or fresh veg market. I doubt it. Part of being an expat seems to be being obsessive about prices, as this and so many other Topics testify. How much are eggs these days? There are guys here, who know the answer to that, to two decimal places, God bless 'em!

More to do with being a pensioner than being an expat.

Most Pensioners have plenty of time and a fixed amount of income.

So making the most of your money is entirely sensible.

I went early to my local market on Saturday and beefsteak tomatoes were in very short supply. Have you considered that this price rise might be due to the fact that lots of Cambodians are fleeing the country in the face of an immigration crackdown by the current government.

Ahhaaa that explains it then......... The Cambodians are leaving behind all their belongings and everything else and are all taking back to Cambo sack after sack of tomatos.......Ahhhh thank you so much for clearing that up....

Ahhaaa that explains it then......... The Cambodians are leaving behind all their belongings and everything else and are all taking back to Cambo sack after sack of tomatos.......Ahhhh thank you so much for clearing that up....

Never thought of that one. What I did think was that if there aren't enough people to harvest a crop, and just for argument's sake, let's call that crop tomatoes, then there won't be enough tomatoes delivered to the market to supply all the demand at price x.. According to the law of supply and demand, something's got to be adjusted. In this case, the price will become x + y. In othe words, the price will go up. And yes, I have access to a supercomputer which is how I was able to figure this one out.

And if you've got a problem with this, take it up with Adam Smith. Just don't be shocked if you get slapped by an Invisible Hand.

Edited by quidnunc

Never thought of that one. What I did think was that if there aren't enough people to harvest a crop, and just for argument's sake, let's call that crop tomatoes, then there won't be enough tomatoes delivered to the market to supply all the demand at price x.. According to the law of supply and demand, something's got to be adjusted. In this case, the price will become x + y. In othe words, the price will go up. And yes, I have access to a supercomputer which is how I was able to figure this one out.

And if you've got a problem with this, take it up with Adam Smith. Just don't be shocked if you get slapped by an Invisible Hand.

Awww forget about Smith...... pay more attention to his partner Daniel B Wesson....... Who went on to found Wesson Oil...... goes better with the tomatos in the salad.

whistling.gif

I remember when people like this were calling for an independent way of verifying inflation. And when M.I.T. came up with the billion price index they were all excited about the prospect of being proved right. Well, what the index actually showed was that the western governments were doing a very good job of tracking inflation. IN fact, inflation in Europe and the USA is currently too low.

As for inflation and food prices, food prices are always volatile and a very bad way to determine what the underlying inflation rate is.

" IN fact, inflation in Europe and the USA is currently too low. "

Yes, heaven protect Europe’s embattled citizens and savers from a prolonged period of low inflation. How could they possibly survive it ?facepalm.gif

http://www.cobdencentre.org/2014/04/everything-we-are-told-about-deflation-is-a-lie/

p.s. are you a bankster ?

Edited by midas

" IN fact, inflation in Europe and the USA is currently too low. "

Yes, heaven protect Europe’s embattled citizens and savers from a prolonged period of low inflation. How could they possibly survive it ?facepalm.gif

http://www.cobdencentre.org/2014/04/everything-we-are-told-about-deflation-is-a-lie/

p.s. are you a bankster ?

Y8u mean because the EU''s and the US' economy are currently perfroming so brilliantly?

According to your way of thinking, deflation should be even better.

Also, are you saying that the current situation is good for savers and therefore bad for bankers?

Edited by quidnunc