Omega-3 and Macular Degeneration

Suradit69

Having undergone a series of Avastin injections directly into the eyeball at BPH in order to stem the tide of sub-retinal leaky neovascularization that leads to pressure on the optic nerve and loss of central vision ... the wet form of macular degeneration ... I do monitor developments in research in this area. I know there are a lot of conflicting reports regarding what's best for prevention or retarding progress of the condition and its symptoms, but this report seems to suggest (once again) that Omega-3 is beneficial, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I also regularly take Lutein and, after too many of the exceedingly unpleasant injections, the situation seems to have stabilized for me with unrecoverable loss of vision, but I'm willing to try anything to hold the line at this point and never again want to watch a hypodermic needle coming towards my clamped open eyeball.

JUNE 17, 2014

Omega-3 Inhibits Retinal Blood Vessel Growth

Posted in: Latest News, Research and Developments

Researchers from Massachusetts Eye and Ear/Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School and other institutions have demonstrated for the first time that the omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs), DHA and EPA, can inhibit choroidal neovascularization (CNV). Their findings will be published in PNAS Online Early Edition the week of June 16-20, 2014.

“These are the first results showing that omega-3 can regulate [vessel growth in live subjects],” said Kip Connor, Ph.D., Assistant Professor in Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School and senior author of the paper.

Researchers fed mice one of three experimental diets beginning two weeks before CNV was induced. The experimental diets were enriched with either omega-3 or omega-6 in the experimental groups and no such supplementation in the control group. The lesion size and vascular leakage were significantly smaller in animals fed with omega-3. Their findings show promising therapeutic potential in AMD disease resolution.

“Given the prevalence of neovascular eye disease, the potential impact of this study is highly significant. [Through this research] we have identified unique endogenous lipid biometabolites that are able to inhibit [retinal blood vessel growth], a major driver of vision loss worldwide. It is our hope that future studies will allow us to develop specific therapeutics that harness this knowledge resulting in a greater visual outcome and quality of life for patients suffering from these sight threatening diseases,” Dr. Connor said.

For more detail about the research methodology, read the original press release.

• 2 weeks later...

You mention taking Lutein. My situation is normal age related macular degeneration (I am 66yo) I think aggravated by a case of snow blindness when snowmobiling 10 hours on the arctic sea ice in full sun about 20 years back.

I experienced eye pain (strain) from too much time on the computer and could not read my shopping list without glasses. I tried many products from various health food stores with poor results. My naturopathic Dr. recommended this

AOR04177-Vision-Support-II-lge1-200x330.

http://www.aor.ca/products-page/aging/vision-support-ii/

and I experienced good results in about a week. Taking them for over 8 years now, and no longer need glasses to read my shopping list.

As I said my situation is different, but you mentioned taking Lutein for your eyes and this product has 7.5mg Lutein per capsule, which my Dr. said is the most important and expensive ingredient.

Doug