Thailand's peace index rises over last year

webfact

Thailand's peace index rises over last year

6-19-2014-12-06-55-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is ranked among the world's least peaceful countries behind Cambodia but ahead of Myanmar and the Philippines in the latest survey by the Institute for Economics and Peace.

According to the 2014′s Global Peace Index (GPI) published in the annual report by the Australia-based Vision of Humanity’s Institute for Economics and Peace, Thailand is ranked 126th of total 162 countries surveyed, better than130th rank last year.

The ranking of Thailand, however, is better than the Philippines and Myanmar which came 134th and 136th respectively, but behind Cambodia at 106th place.

But Laos, Vietnam, and Malaysia are among the top 40 most-peaceful countries to live.

On top of the most peaceful countries is Iceland followed by Denmark, Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland, Finland, Canada, Japan, Belgium and Norway.

The least peaceful is Syria coming at the bottom of the list.

The institute placed Thailand as the No.8 most terrorist-wrecked nation, a controversial listing based almost entirely on violence in the deep South.

The survey measured 22 qualitative and quantitative indicators to achieve each country’s ranking on the Global Peace Index score.

A brief summary said Thailand scored 1.4 out of 5 on militarisation, 2.9 on society and security, and 2.4 on the measurement of “domestic and international conflict”.

The measurement was made last December during the Bangkok political turmoil.

Uncertainty about the future of the ruling Pheu Thai government abounds as protesters led by Suthep Thaugsuban demanded that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra step down after attempting to grant amnesty to her exiled and controversial brother was stated as reason in the ranking.

Last year, Thailand was ranked 130th out of 162 countries.

Source: Institute for Economics and Peace

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailands-peace-index-rises-last-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-19

"The measurement was made last December during the Bangkok political turmoil."

Much changed since then. Now that peace and order have been restored to a very large extent Thailand's ranking will have improved bigtime. The unsafety in the deep south seems to be growing though. I wonder if the horror traffic is part of the 2.9 score on society and security or not considered at all.

Unbelievable. Yesterday was a 'sentiment' index, and today is a 'peace index'. What a load of complete <deleted>x.

What's tomorrow? Thainess index? How about a 'friendliness to farang' index, or a 'best hub of hubs' index'?

To top the lot: 'Rich family get-out of jail card index'? That would be well worth the read. wink.png

How about a "brothel index". Top 'o the list, I'm placing my bets today!

• Like 2

The infestation of violent 7% minority driven red shirt fanatics in mainstream society has ceased and the silencing of their accused terrorist leaders will ensure the remaining 93% of the population (apart from the South) can live in peace and harmony which the majority have yearned for years. Be assured the "peace index" will rise now the DRT are in control and have stopped the violence.

• Like 1

Thailand continues to rank low on global peace index

BANGKOK, 19 June 2014 (NNT) – According to the latest Global Peace Index (GPI), Thailand is ranked among the world’s least peaceful countries, just behind neighboring Cambodia.

Australia’s Institute for Economics and Peace has ranked Thailand 126th out of 162 countries, up by four spots from its previous No. 130 ranking last year. Thailand also scored 2.39 points out of 5 in the GPI.

A brief summary said Thailand scored 1.4 out of 5 on militarization, 2.9 on society and security, and 2.4 on domestic and international conflict.

Iceland tops the 2014 index as the world's most peaceful country, followed by Denmark, Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland, Finland, Canada, Japan, Belgium, and Norway. The least peaceful countries include South Sudan and Syria.

The index is composed of 22 indicators, ranging from a nation’s level of military expenditure to its relations with neighboring countries and the percentage of prison population. The 2014 Global Peace Index shows that the world has become less peaceful as since 2008. A total of 111 countries have deteriorated in levels of peace.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-19 footer_n.gif

The infestation of violent 7% minority driven red shirt fanatics in mainstream society has ceased and the silencing of their accused terrorist leaders will ensure the remaining 93% of the population (apart from the South) can live in peace and harmony which the majority have yearned for years. Be assured the "peace index" will rise now the DRT are in control and have stopped the violence.

The institute placed Thailand as the No.8 most terrorist-wrecked nation, a controversial listing based almost entirely on violence in the deep South.

Do you ever give up? In fact can you even read?

The article clearly states this relates entirely to the violence in the South and has nothing to do with the handful of deaths we saw in Bangkok earlier this year. The RTA have sown breath taking ineptitude in tackling this problem over recent years and there is nothing to suggest thats going to change.

So in short your assertation "the "peace index" will rise" is BS, like most of your other posts.

• Like 1

The article clearly states this relates entirely to the violence in the South and has nothing to do with the handful of deaths we saw in Bangkok earlier this year. The RTA have sown breath taking ineptitude in tackling this problem over recent years and there is nothing to suggest thats going to change.

So in short your assertation "the "peace index" will rise" is BS, like most of your other posts.

I appreciate your reply and enjoy your feedback.

May I highlight however you said "The article clearly states this relates entirely to the violence in the South"

The article stated "based almost entirely on violence in the deep South."

It seems the article did not state it clearly enough for you.

Read further down too with the link to the protests in December.

Seems my post is not BS.

Seems yours was a bit misleading though.

Again I enjoy your posts and keep it up.

<EDIT> I assume my post clearly shows that I can read? Or do you need further clarification like the "almost entirely" misunderstanding you had?

PS - I never give up!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

"The measurement was made last December during the Bangkok political turmoil."

Much changed since then. Now that peace and order have been restored to a very large extent Thailand's ranking will have improved bigtime. The unsafety in the deep south seems to be growing though. I wonder if the horror traffic is part of the 2.9 score on society and security or not considered at all.

I see that the country spawning the terrorism in Thailand's south is Malaysia, one of the 'most peaceful'.

Rather ironic.

• Like 1

May I highlight however you said "The article clearly states this relates entirely to the violence in the South"

Seems my post is not BS.

<EDIT> I assume my post clearly shows that I can read? Or do you need further clarification like the "almost entirely" misunderstanding you had?

PS - I never give up!

It simply mentions the index was made in December, it doesn`t relate the two. The half a dozen or so deaths in December would have had no bearing on a indicators at play here. The "almost" is because Thailands gun crime is also taken into account.

With regards to giving up what do you want to prove, and to who? Thaskin is a bit of a rascal? Does anyone disagree? Its like your arguing with a voice in your head to read your posts. You seem completely obsessed and your ability to link anything with PTP is tiresome and boring.

On another note what do you think of the coup leaders adopting the same wreckless populism as PTP as their policy? Is it good because they are "your team?"

Seems my post is not BS.

PS - I never give up!

It simply mentions the index was made in December, it doesn`t relate the two. The half a dozen or so deaths in December would have had no bearing on a indicators at play here. The "almost" is because Thailands gun crime is also taken into account.

With regards to giving up what do you want to prove, and to who? Thaskin is a bit of a rascal? Does anyone disagree? Its like your arguing with a voice in your head to read your posts. You seem completely obsessed and your ability to link anything with PTP is tiresome and boring.

On another note what do you think of the coup leaders adopting the same wreckless populism as PTP as their policy? Is it good because they are "your team?"

Thanks again for the reply.

I see you ignored me highlighting that you changed the wording in the article to suit your agenda. It also brought a smile to my face that not only did you change the wording you added some of your own "facts" this time to suit your agenda. "The "almost" is because Thailands gun crime is also taken into account." Nice one there and it nearly slipped past my defenses.

Uncertainty about the future of the ruling Pheu Thai government abounds as protesters led by Suthep Thaugsuban demanded that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra step down after attempting to grant amnesty to her exiled and controversial brother was stated as reason in the ranking. So as stated there is a link there as shown in the bold case. Now this has stopped, now the terrorist violence in Trat and Bangkok has stopped the index will change accordingly. Which is what I stated at the beginning.

Edited by djjamie

now the terrorist violence in Trat and Bangkok has stopped the the index will change accordingly. Which is what I stated at the beginning.

The "terrorist violence in Trat" happened after December and 90% of what happened in Bangkok after then also. The army has never been able to control the South previously so theres nothing to suggest it will now and this is what it is "almost entirely" based on.

Keep arguing the same points over and over, afterall its what youve done for 10 months now. In your eyes who speaks last "wins" ... go on ahead kid, win, Im done trying to explain things to you.

• Like 2

now the terrorist violence in Trat and Bangkok has stopped the the index will change accordingly. Which is what I stated at the beginning.

The "terrorist violence in Trat" happened after December and 90% of what happened in Bangkok after then also. The army has never been able to control the South previously so theres nothing to suggest it will now and this is what it is "almost entirely" based on.

Keep arguing the same points over and over, afterall its what youve done for 10 months now. In your eyes who speaks last "wins" ... go on ahead kid, win, Im done trying to explain things to you.

Still ignoring the fact you changed the wording in the article to suit your agenda yet said I could not read.

Still ignoring the fact that you added some of your own "facts" this time to suit your agenda.

Still denying the link that I highlighted above that affects the peace index yet you said I could not read.

Still making changes to quoted material as well to further your agenda.

15) Do not make changes to quoted material that changes the intended meaning of the quoted post

Edited by djjamie

I guess we need a forum 'peace index'? cheesy.gif

However, ignoring my remark, who on earth came up with the idea of international peace indices?

Some pissed up psychologist?

Sentiment index yesterday was bad enough. I can't for the life of me wonder who actually investigates such crap, based upon all sorts of misnomers. It is truly bizzare.

My country is more peaceful than yours, so go do one ( ultimate paradox giggle.gif )...

Edited by UbonRatch

Bit confused here: The headline reads that the peace index has risen, which to me would indicate more peace. But the article goes on to say that Thailand is one of the least peaceful countries. So I guess more means less?

Ignoring your ability to manipulate facts, you don't seem to know anything about the south apart from taking a shot at the army.

The army is not in charge of peacekeeping there - that is ISOC. ISOC is run by government appointed members and operations in the south are carried out by the army, the police and rangers.

Keep drinking that yellow Kool-Aid!:)

what happens outside thailand just does not interest thai people

and now thanks to censorship, they dont even know what happens inside the country

but happyness for everybody

and every bad news will be met upon with jail time