Thailand to focus more on high-tech industries

webfact

Thais need to learn about "work ethic" and how to wake up in the morning and have it.

I for one applaud the recognition for the need for alternative energy and hope conditions are put in place to allow this to grow.

With as much free sunshine as we get, why solar power power isn't a priority is amazing. I hear costs are too high.... But imagine Bangkok with every major building with solar panels....

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hi-tech industries require a highly educated workforce which is an enigma here in the Kingdom.

Then you mean that we will never see a hard drive or computer entirely designed by Thais (no copies please) and assembled in Thailand?

Remember what happened with the only Thai automobile produced for 2 years in the country? Ta Rom sold a smattering of units and bulk of production had to be sold to India no less. Quality wise was a definite bust.

Highly educated workforce you say? Not in our dreams. Add to that a must have high sense of duty and dependability, a la Japanese. Thais are children of entitlements. Instead of striving to improve themselves and progress, the tend to gravitate towards cronyism and patronage.

TIT

Agree. I am amazed when I read/hear Thailand wanting HELP with almost EVERYTHING. And the Thai businesses e.g. Thai/Italia, Thai/German... What do/did Thailand contribute to these various businesses? Seriously what can Thailand do on it's own? I'm really not sure.

Thanks.

All too late, foreign companies don't need Thailand ever again, China has already established itself as a good place to make your gadgets, chips, Apple tablets, HP computers whatever.

Thailand's immigration, and all kinds of other bureaucratic nonsense has made this place very unattractive to any company. The only people who like to do business here are bar owners, criminals and non native English teachers.

Game over for Thailand yet again.

Great job General! Keep up the good work!

This is what Thailand needs: a focus on economy.

To the thai visa commenters...

There are many great reasons to start a company in Thailand.

The Thailand Board of Investment (BOI) already provides many different incentives for business owners:

• better ratio than 4:1 staff
  • own 100% of a Thai company as a foreigner
  • 0% corporate income tax for up to 7 years
  • own land (up to 1 rai for director)
  • diplomatic entry at airport

Read through the BOI manual, or check out this website with explains simply with infographics: SiamStartup.com

Or message me, more than happy to tell my experiences running a high tech company in Thailand and how to apply for BOI licensing.

Hey ThaiEskimo.

Thats a really interesting site and I had not seen it before.

Judging by your last line what is said on the website is actually implemented.

Cheers.

Thank you,

I have many friends, (foreigners and Thai's) who run successful businesses in Thailand.

Perhaps they are successful because they read the laws, talk to others who have done it, and don't believe what they read in an online forum!

We created SiamStartup.com to make the BOI process and Thailand laws understandable for the average person.

Financial and Legal issues in Thailand may be more challenging than other places, but they are not unsurmountable.

Here are some things you'll find on Siam startup

• We have interviews with venture capitalists who have invested in Thailand, and entrepreneurs who have successfully grown a company from scratch.
  • We have infographics that clearly outline the process (including work permits, BOI applications, registering trademarks)
  • We have a job board where we post about opportunities (in development)

Hopefully we can play our part is fostering entrepreneurship in the Kingdom of Thailand, within the Software High Tech industry.

Hi-tech industries require a highly educated workforce which is an enigma here in the Kingdom.

Then you mean that we will never see a hard drive or computer entirely designed by Thais (no copies please) and assembled in Thailand?

Remember what happened with the only Thai automobile produced for 2 years in the country? Ta Rom sold a smattering of units and bulk of production had to be sold to India no less. Quality wise was a definite bust.

Highly educated workforce you say? Not in our dreams. Add to that a must have high sense of duty and dependability, a la Japanese. Thais are children of entitlements. Instead of striving to improve themselves and progress, the tend to gravitate towards cronyism and patronage.

TIT

That is not true....I have seen a lot Thais who do improve themself and invent new things. OK, most of them are ethnic Chinese, but not all. They all speak perfect English and often have University degrees from UK or USA. Just there aren't that many. They mostly get owner of some business and wealthy. Than they are stuck in managing their company and lack of staff to develop new things. But still good enough to be competitive on the domestic market.

TIT

That is not true....I have seen a lot Thais who do improve themself and invent new things. OK, most of them are ethnic Chinese, but not all. They all speak perfect English and often have University degrees from UK or USA. Just there aren't that many. They mostly get owner of some business and wealthy. Than they are stuck in managing their company and lack of staff to develop new things. But still good enough to be competitive on the domestic market.

I happen to have access and socialize with a number of university professors in Thailand. I asked of them this, but they have never delivered on my query: Maybe you can. They can't. Can you?

1- a list of names of Thais who are recipients of a Nobel Prize in any discipline in Science.

2- a list of names of Thais inventors and their inventions that are a contribution to the betterment of mankind, not just to enrich themselves or the company they work for.

I will be waiting.... and waiting.... and waiting...

250k for helping with BOI, eh ? Looks like an effort comparable to a seeding round, complete with due diligence and discretionary approval. Hardly attractive.

Compare with f.ex. Hong Kong, where 100% ownership is possible, setup is less than a week and under 40k baht total, with clearly defined rules and no hassle.

High Tech is often global and can base operations where ever they want. Availability of competent workforce, costs of operation, stability and clarity of regulations .. Thailand's only true competing point seems to be availability of cheap manual labor. What they can change is the regulation, adapt those BOI rules to regular process and make it non-discretionary for starters.

TIT

I happen to have access and socialize with a number of university professors in Thailand. I asked of them this, but they have never delivered on my query: Maybe you can. They can't. Can you?

1- a list of names of Thais who are recipients of a Nobel Prize in any discipline in Science.

2- a list of names of Thais inventors and their inventions that are a contribution to the betterment of mankind, not just to enrich themselves or the company they work for.

I will be waiting.... and waiting.... and waiting...

The proven path to wealth in Thailand is to.identify a business and devote ones time to keeping anyone else out of the market. Failing that, be the exclusive holder of a piece of western technology that everyone wants. Charge western prices for it, but have a Thai cost structure.

None of which requires much innovation other than where to deliver the brown envelope to keep everyone away from your business.

• Like 2