How to land a great ticket to BKK during high season?

simonnnn

Hi all,

I have lived in Thailand for a year or so, and after being back in the Netherlands for half a year or so I desperately need my dose of Thainess.

Problem is, I only have a small window of opportunity to go... 03/02-08 till 14-08, so in the middle of high season.

Any help or tips with finding an affordable ticket during this time (under €650,-) would be reallllllllly appreciated.

All tickets are a good 200 to 300 euro's more expensive than during low season, but I'm hoping any of you have some tricks for getting a better price in high season!

Ideally I would fly from Amsterdam, but I could do Brussels or Dusseldorf as well if needed.

For the golden tip I'm handing out some Dutch traditional cookies upon arrival in Bangkok wink.png

But seriously guys, thanks in advance for any help :)))

Sometimes flights to Hong Kong or other regional airports can be really cheap from Europe. It would be a real pain doing it this way but you could fly elsewhere and then hop on an AirAsia flight to Bangkok quite cheaply depending on the difference in price. Of course this will take a lot more time so it depends on what you value the most - time or convenience.

In the past I've noticed a couple of things :

Cathay Pacific from London to Hong Kong were much cheaper than the Bangkok flights - this was some time ago. Maybe it's the same from other airports.

Another really strange thing I noticed is that Air France (now merged with KLM) flights from Phnom Penh to Paris were much cheaper than the Bangkok to Paris flight even though it stops at Bangkok on the way to Paris and is essentially the same route. Again this was some time ago so routes might have changed but it could be worth looking into. This particular flight only operated a couple of times each week.

If you dig around you might find a bargain.

• Like 1

Most experts say that the best prices are usually found around 3 months before departure. Prices and promotions change daily so find some search sites you like as well as monitoring the airlines own websites. Get to know the normal pricing so you will be able to recognize a bargain when you see it and act on it.

How much luggage, if only a little then the fly to Hong Kong etc and take Air asia etc might work

if you have too much luggage that will add $$$$$$ to the cost

How much time do you have ? You might fly to Malaysia etc and take a bus/ train to Thailand

Or just suck it up as it is High season and even getting a regular seat is not easy.....

Let us know what you find ,

Thanks for the tips guys, the idea of flying to a different city like Hong Kong is definetly a new idea for me.

I will look in to that.

I also thought about "open jaw" tickets, so flying from amsterdam for example and flying back to Brussels or something.

No shop will sell low season tickets for high season periods 2 months in advance. Now

Eva air 930 euro for 2-8 and 14-8 back

Eva air 830 euro for 3-8 and 14-8 back

Airliners with 1 stop can be about 100-150 euro cheaper Like Egyptian, Moscow, emirates, Singapore airlines. But not in high season periods because there hubs are high season destinations as well.

Leaving from Brussels or Dusseldorf or Frankfurt is only worthwhile if you live more as 1 hour by train from Schiphol. The additional travel cost by car or train will give you a lot of hassle to save about 100 euro.

If you can not change your dates, want to go, expect to pay the high season price. You can gamble and maybe over 1.5 months the prizes will drop. It will be then a go or no go choice.

@Paul944

You are probably right... I'm not flexible in dates, need to go in high season and have not booked far in advance. That's the worst combination imaginable for getting a cheap ticket I suppose.

Was hoping for something I over looked, but looks like I might have to bite the bullet on this one facepalm.gif

If any does have another idea please let me know! :D

Try momondo.com or skyscanner.com. They sometimes have great offers. Found flights in the middle of August between EUR 550-650 from Hamburg through momondo.com

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You can fly from Rome with Turkish Airlines for under 600€ for your dates, but then you'll need to get to and from Rome.

You can also go from Prague for £550, but that is from the 6th to the 18th.

A couple of examples..

Cheapest I found with Brussels Airlines EUR 696 from Brussel to BKK on momondo. Long journey though. App. 23hours.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't see that price. I see £656. Which is 822 Euros.

Perhaps some more meat on the bone would be useful.

Is that march of augest til 14 augest.That is High Season?Am I missing season.

I like to go to Thailand in October - February the weather is better

Clearly he means high season for Europe. You can get flights from Europe to BKK in October for as little as £250(€315) return at the mo

The high season in Europe from the Scandinavian countries is Dec-Jan. And I would guess for most of the other Europen countries also. I can fly Copenhagen-Bangkok about every month of the year for about 700 Euro. That's a direct flight with Thai then. If I fly a cheaper airline with one stop like the Turkish airline, Finnair, Norwegian, or Quatar I pay 150-200 less

Edited by bangkoklasse

Is that march of augest til 14 augest.That is High Season?Am I missing season.

I like to go to Thailand in October - February the weather is better

Yes, the high season is 15/Nov - 28/Feb in TH. I have no idea at all the OP what about talks.

there are many high seasons ,

the airlines work on butts in seats , and people want to fly when they have holiday time , summer in Europe and around Christmas / New Years

your destination may be good or bad at that time of year but people will still go because they have time off or the kids are out of school

@loles and bkkdreaming, if you would have read the original post you would have known since this states the exact dates.

Just like everyone else replying understood it.

@the rest , thanks for all the replies guys. I have booked at ticket from brussel to Bkk for 699 not great but as good as it gets during this time of year I suppose :)

Just a thought.................with the Iraq and middle east problems increasing in voracity, the price of crude oil is rising and will undoubtedly cause the price of jet fuel increase as well. Even if it doesn't, it's a good excuse for airlines to pad their fuel surcharge prices.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a feeling that it might be worth looking at the prices on the Malaysian Airlines site to KL (then Air Asia to BKK). I think they may be struggling to fill their planes for a while.

I use skyscanner generally - it tends to find the best deals.

I have used Malaysian a few times and find them good. Don't let the misfortune that has happened lately put you off they have just been very unlucky. But mostly its cheaper to book to BKK and transit trough KL or take in a night in KL.