• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 5 years of sub 50, am suprised any Brit has any money left so the thread is kind of a moot pointlaugh.png

Well i for one had to dig into my capitol ,but at least i was one of the lucky ones who had capitol to dig into .facepalm.gif

• Like 1

After 5 years of sub 50, am suprised any Brit has any money left so the thread is kind of a moot pointlaugh.png

Well i for one had to dig into my capitol ,but at least i was one of the lucky ones who had capitol to dig into .facepalm.gif

Washington!

Edited by chiang mai

Brits are among the richest people in the world, so why shouldn't they have any money left? I got 46 baht to the GBP when I first arrived here, so things have got better, not worse. I'd have enough money at £1=10 baht, and so would most other Brits I know.

Brits are among the richest people in the world, so why shouldn't they have any money left? I got 46 baht to the GBP when I first arrived here, so things have got better, not worse. I'd have enough money at £1=10 baht, and so would most other Brits I know.

Unfortunately the several hundred thousand expat retirees, those on pensions and fixed incomes, are not always as fortunate as the younger newer arrivees, especially those who have made large profits from the recent property boom. Many of those people started out fifteen or twenty years ago in sound financial health only to see their income streams decimated by zero interest rate policies and a Pound that was devalued by up to 40%, as a result many had to return to the UK. Those circumstances are likely to be repeated, I like to think that threads such as this one might help a few people think about and try to do something to reduce their risk.

• Like 1

Washington!

ok so sometimes i do not check my spooling ,bite me capital times 100

Youd be getting through 5,000 Sterling a month at that rate.....really, 60K a year so you are a millionaire then...met loadsa of them, they hang out with the retired Mi5 and SAS guys in Cheap Charlies Soi15....

It would be good to take a stab at possible future scenario's and the likelihood of them rather than reminisce about what happened ten years ago. coffee1.gif

Ok boss tongue.png

My prediction. It will rise to 60 at some point wink.png

RAZZ

You may well be right and given the weakness of the US and European economies it appears as though the UK is the poster boy of good economies currently. But it's all relative, the UK only appears strong because the other economies are weaker, the question I keep asking myself is, what happens when the hot money reverses and flows back into Europe and the US, that could be ugly for GBP.

The other point that always occurs to me when I start to compare those economies is how nimble the Thai.economy can be versus the lumbering, slow and difficult to turn monoliths in the West. Many of the fundamentals remain in Thailand, all that's needed now is for confidence to return and given the job that's being done by the junta currently, that confidence may not be that far away.

Nothing like stating the obvious is there !

It would be good to take a stab at possible future scenario's and the likelihood of them rather than reminisce about what happened ten years ago. coffee1.gif

Ok boss tongue.png

My prediction. It will rise to 60 at some point wink.png

RAZZ

You may well be right and given the weakness of the US and European economies it appears as though the UK is the poster boy of good economies currently. But it's all relative, the UK only appears strong because the other economies are weaker, the question I keep asking myself is, what happens when the hot money reverses and flows back into Europe and the US, that could be ugly for GBP.

The other point that always occurs to me when I start to compare those economies is how nimble the Thai.economy can be versus the lumbering, slow and difficult to turn monoliths in the West. Many of the fundamentals remain in Thailand, all that's needed now is for confidence to return and given the job that's being done by the junta currently, that confidence may not be that far away.

Nothing like stating the obvious is there !

Apart from stating nothing that is - just so that one can sit back and toss turds at those who actually have an opinion of their own rather than those who couldn't formulate one of their own, without having to resort to the Beano or the Dandy!

Goodness I love threads such as this, it brings out the absolute best intellectual economic minds, honed in proficient debate and absolutely pushes the limits of academic debate with comments such as, " Nothing like stating the obvious is there", I am wowed, have you met naam!

Edited by chiang mai

I don't think the chaos in the rest of the world will be ending anytime soon. Look at it- total mess. If anything I see it getting worse rather than better. That might be good for the £ and UK property / London property; but it doesn't stop west falling over again either.

• Like 1

I don't think the chaos in the rest of the world will be ending anytime soon. Look at it- total mess. If anything I see it getting worse rather than better. That might be good for the £ and UK property / London property; but it doesn't stop west falling over again either.

Although I think the Tories are going to have to go some to get back in at the next election.

When Juncker gets elected (very likely) and starts going on about the EU Financial Transaction Tax by 2016 things are going to get interesting! wink.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Total mess of an analysis.

I came across the following and thought it was a fairly accurate and concise list of key threats:

UK Economic Risks

• Economy highly dependent on financial services and property market
  • Disagreement within the government coalition over European question
  • High public debt and deficit levels
  • High private debt
  • Fragility of banking system
  • Significant share of young people in the unemployment figures, possible source of social tensions

If you put the above in the context of interest rate rises it becomes easy to see how things could unravel, rates go up, bank loan books get stressed, mortgage holders can't pay so GDP slumps and civil unrest follows. The same end could be achieved by a European financial transaction tax or indeed by a UK based 9/11 style event where confidence erodes - it's a precarious tightrope walk.

Note: this post is solely about UK economic risks, nothing more.

Edited by chiang mai

I came across the following and thought it was a fairly accurate and concise list of key threats:

UK Economic Risks

• Economy highly dependent on financial services and property market
  • Disagreement within the government coalition over European question
  • High public debt and deficit levels
  • High private debt
  • Fragility of banking system
  • Significant share of young people in the unemployment figures, possible source of social tensions

If you put the above in the context of interest rate rises it becomes easy to see how things could unravel, rates go up, bank loan books get stressed, mortgage holders can't pay so GDP slumps and civil unrest follows. The same end could be achieved by a European financial transaction tax or indeed by a UK based 9/11 style event where confidence erodes - it's a precarious tightrope walk.

Note: this post is solely about UK economic risks, nothing more.

Your glass is always half empty ,isn't it mate ,must be so depresing for yousad.png

• Like 1

Although I think the Tories are going to have to go some to get back in at the next election.

When Juncker gets elected (very likely) and starts going on about the EU Financial Transaction Tax by 2016 things are going to get interesting! wink.png

RAZZ

It would get interesting indeed.

My dream scenario would be Tory UKIP coalition majority at next ellection. Junker commission president and zero mean full negotiation- so UK leaves the EU at referendum

• Like 1

We could of course take the opposite approach and instead of trying to identify areas of risk and the likelihood that they might be realized, we could sit around instead and talk about how well everything's going and how wonderful the weather is to boot and how sure we are that if we do nothing, everything will be OK eventually! That's pretty much what governments used to do until somebody realized that such thinking did nothing to stop economies from driving off a cliff and finally risk management was invented, the flat earth types didn't like that because they found it hard to adjust and there are still some of them around today, cross breeding will I'm sure see them become extinct soon.wink.png

Edited by chiang mai

We could of course take the opposite approach and instead of trying to identify areas of risk and the likelihood that they might be realized, we could sit around instead and talk about how well everything's going and how wonderful the weather is to boot and how sure we are that if we do nothing, everything will be OK eventually! That's pretty much what governments used to do until somebody realized that such thinking did nothing to stop economies from driving off a cliff and finally risk management was invented, the flat earth types didn't like that because they found it hard to adjust and there are still some of them around today, cross breeding will I'm sure see them become extinct soon.wink.png

You must really hate your home country.

You desperately want the British currency to fail, but no matter what you post, it just keeps picking itself up again.

How does it feel to be wrong all the time?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

You desperately want the British currency to fail, but no matter what you post, it just keeps picking itself up again.

Indeed I want so badly for it to fail that I keep 50% of my assets in that currency and 50% of my time in that country! What part of risk analysis and debate do you not understand!!

Indeed I want so badly for it to fail that I keep 50% of my assets in that currency and 50% of my time in that country! What part of risk analysis and debate do you not understand!!

The part where you keep predicting a fall in value, yet it keeps rising.

The part where you keep predicting a fall in value, yet it keeps rising.

Reading and comprehension appear not to be your strengths, if you look closely at the start of this thread you'll see that I agree with Razzel that THB will fall and may well reach 60, any discussion on potential future risks to the UK economy is exactly that, a discussion on potential future economic risks, no more, no less.

Haven't you been saying for the last couple of years the £ is going to tank? rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

RAZZ

I have been saying for about the past year that the Pound is over valued and that the state of the UK economy alone does not justify its current value - it's apparent strength comes by virtue of the weakness of other economies, especially the US.

Support for the Pound comes from two places, inflows of hot money and the value of real estate, not from the economy itself per se. When we look at say Thailands economy for example we can see that Thailand actually makes things and exports them for sale overseas, that is the Thai economy. The UK economy on the other hand now relies on overseas money invested in real estate and on consumer spending. I haven't said GBP will tank but I have said that at some point it will correct, simply because hot money and property values are finite.

EDIT: Just an after thought: I'm OK if a few posters here want to make me the subject of the debate but honestly, the discussion is about GBP/THB and the associated economies, attacking me instead of the arguments that are made doesn't actually help folks understand the currency exchange issues or the likely future direction nor the factors involved. wink.png

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Very entertaining.

Are you Clarkson or Paxman?smile.png

That's funny. Neither of course, just someone with an interest in economics and forex who enjoys a debate. BTW I can't stand Clarkson, never could.

There are many good signs, well better than the Eurozone and good ol' US of A right now.

I rest my case, current UK economic strength is relative to the very weak strength of other major economies, it's akin to one ugly guy going drinking with three super ugly mates and all the girls think he's the good looking one!

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1