The British Club - Bangkok

paul2510

I am never quite sure about these " X Pat Clubs " or " British Club " ??? i guess these are good places for collecting information but I (probably like most people ) didn't really come to the " otherside of the world " and to enjoy this rather pleasant part of Asia to look for " British Clubs " ! I came here to get away from all that!

I guess there must be Brits that live here who " live the British lifestyle " and eat " Fish & Chips " sit in the room all day with the aircon on max " ( just so the room feels like the UK in winter ) and watches British TV ! please tell me there are not people who live like this in Thailand?

Oh and what is happening in " Corrie " ????

( Kind respect where due viewers...) x

You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".

Your assumptions are purely based on nothing, as you clearly have never visited the club.

"I came here to get away from all that"

'You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".'

Canarysun: It seems that your "all that" comment has ruffled some feathers and you are being put in your place ... more or less confirming your point of view while demonstrating the pseudo-snobbishness that the membership adopts in an attempt to seem what they are not. You saffron-glasses-wearing arriviste, you!! How very dare you!

tories_to_reverse_fox_hunt_ban_692975.jp

You certainly have confirmed your foolishness. Well done, next time read the post properly.

• Like 1

I certainly used to avoid this type of club, but what I'm finding in Thailand is that, while I have made some very meaningful relationships with Thais from many different backgounds, the same cannot be said for westerners.

Westerners here seem to be, in general, small-minded, uneducated and lacking the experience necessary to live happily in what is a very different culture. I will definitely check out the club when I'm next in Bkk.

Edited by ajarnsiam

I have been a member for a few years and, as others have said, its great if you have kids and live reasonably close. wonderful facilities esp for keen tennis players. Like anywhere I am sure there are some idiots but I have always found most members are pleasant, normal people who have ended up living in Bangkok for a whole host of reasons. Image and reality maybe somewhat different.

Agreed, many of the assumptions are based on people who haven't been there. I also agree there are some tools there, but all clubs have them. It's a pleasant place, with nice facilities, and really not too expensive. There are also plenty of non Brits as members as well, including Thai and Aussies.

Those that are knocking it, would probably not even be accepted as a Tesco Clubcard member.

• Like 2

I live too far out of town to make it worthwhile joining.

I do however go to the SPET meetings when in Thailand, you don't have to be a member of the British Club (or SPET for that matter, pay a small entrance fee and you're good to go). SPET is definitely worth a look for the engineers among us.

• Like 1

I am never quite sure about these " X Pat Clubs " or " British Club " ??? i guess these are good places for collecting information but I (probably like most people ) didn't really come to the " otherside of the world " and to enjoy this rather pleasant part of Asia to look for " British Clubs " ! I came here to get away from all that!

I guess there must be Brits that live here who " live the British lifestyle " and eat " Fish & Chips " sit in the room all day with the aircon on max " ( just so the room feels like the UK in winter ) and watches British TV ! please tell me there are not people who live like this in Thailand?

You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".

Your assumptions are purely based on nothing, as you clearly have never visited the club.

"I came here to get away from all that"

'You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".'

Canarysun: It seems that your "all that" comment has ruffled some feathers and you are being put in your place ... more or less confirming your point of view while demonstrating the pseudo-snobbishness that the membership adopts in an attempt to seem what they are not. You saffron-glasses-wearing arriviste, you!! How very dare you!

tories_to_reverse_fox_hunt_ban_692975.jp

You certainly have confirmed your foolishness. Well done, next time read the post properly.

OMG. Now Canarysun and I have both been put in our place by the British Club's official detector of saffron-tinted-glasses-wearing arrivistes. One can almost smell the beeswax and sense the thinly veiled toffee-nosed sneering. I feel so inadequate and humbled.

Maybe you can have the following tee shirt made up to warn other people as you approach.

condescending-t-shirt-t-shirt-crazy-dog-

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I'll get my kilt dry cleaned Toadie... When are we off for a spot of polo and whisky tasting?....I'll bring the Monte Cristos!

Next time sir, should be exempt of Septic waste and Chavs.

Glass of Pimms anyone?

I'll get my kilt dry cleaned Toadie... When are we off for a spot of polo and whisky tasting?....I'll bring the Monte Cristos!

Glass of Pimms anyone?

I'm in sir....might manage a stint at silly mid off after a couple of glasses.

Do they have a cricket pitch?

Glass of Pimms anyone?

I'm in sir....might manage a stint at silly mid off after a couple of glasses.

Do they have a cricket pitch?

I was thinking more of a game of croquet , as the riff raff might not understand that game old boy, wotto.

• Like 1

Joined in 2002 not long after arriving in Thailand. While the kids were growing up, it was a great place to go on weekends for the pool and to play tennis with friends. Despite the name (and popular misconception), membership is open to all nationalities and is pretty diverse. And yes, the fish & chips are good but the extensive Thai menu is also excellent. As for all the comments about snooty members clubs from posters who have never visited - well, ignorance is bliss. If you don't like the idea of members clubs, then don't join. The joining fees are a fraction of those at the RBSC or Polo Club and not there to "keep out the hoy polloy [sic] " but to fund the maintenance and improvement of the facilities.

Edited by KamnanT

Well it all sounds "absolutely fabulous" but I still wouldn't bother going even if it was FREE (it should be noted that I am not a "farang kineow"...) And speak with a very "Radio 2 voice" so greetings to you all ! ( and at the Polo Club......) X

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well it all sounds "absolutely fabulous" but I still wouldn't bother going even if it was FREE (it should be noted that I am not a "farang kineow"...) And speak with a very "Radio 2 voice" so greetings to you all ! ( and at the Polo Club......) X

You're not Simon Bates are you?

• Like 1

Don't be hasty old boy, keep you chin up, toodle pip,

signed: prospective member

Many people are posted overseas as part of their work, many people also don't actually have a big say in the places they are posted to.

Hi 80A8

You raise a great point, this is exactly my case, i am from the UK, but have spent the last 7 years in Australia as part of work and now assigned to Thailand for an indefinite period. Don't partake to much in the fish and chips but love the Aircon on max, not sure i could survive without out. As the original poster i should point out that i did not go out of my way to find the British Club, just strolled down from my apartment on Silom Road and there was this 'roadsign' which said the 'The British Club' so i thought why not.

I'm a longtime member of the British Club. The club is quiet. No mobil phones are allowed in the Churchill Bar (you can have them but cannot talk or let them ring). Along with tennis and swimming, they have a snooker table.

There are several activities non members can join so if you are interested in any of those and are still not sure about joining the club, sign up to get a better feel of the club.

Another plus is that the British Club is affiliated with clubs all over the world. My favourite is the Navel Club in London. For a small price, you can stay in one of the most expensive areas - Mayfair. When visiting London, it's nearby most everything I need and if not, I just hop on the tube (there's a station nearby).

In response to canarysun, I didn't become an expat 20++ years ago to copy the natives of whatever country I find myself in this year. I live my life under my terms. I've mostly enjoyed my time in Thailand but I don't want to be Thai, nor will I ever be. I enjoy many things on offer here, not just Thai. Durian, fish and chips, a spicy green curry, a decent wine bottle of wine, and whatever else I find. As do my Thai friends (who love being under AC).

Hi Desi

Thanks for responding to my post. I am of the exact same opinion as you. I came to Thailand as part of work and i have no desire to convert to a local lifestyle, but i will enjoy the delights of thailand, especially the food, Red curry with Duck, is a particular favorite at the moment. It is good to see the British Club has affiliates globally, i do understand they also have a connection in Singapore, but will look at for the Navel Club in London the next time i am over there.

• Like 1