Robbed by landlord - what should I do?

skyhi

If you are stupid enough to keep 14K in an envelope in your drawer and then open your door and let a Thai guy in your house you can only blame yourself for the missing money.

Don't go to the police if you have a problem here, they are the problem.

BTW. if you have a Thai boyfriend you should ask him where the missing money is.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your boyfriend is thai ? he just took a loan ... and a loan in thailand is never ment to be paid back ... so it was a gift ...

why keeps thousands of (dollars?) in the house? bank account anyone ?

BTW - I wrap up my passport, bank books, spare cash etc in a plastic bag and hide them in the bathroom trash bin underneath a coloured bag used for collecting toilet tissues. Even if thieves broke in, I bet not one of them would finger through used toilet tissue. Well, I suppose, like on here, there's always one...

I don't like you blame you, but this is real a ridiculous place where you did hide your valuables, caused there are to much possiblities that the money could disappear without supposed to be stolen.

Anyway back to the subject and facts only:

The policesstatics in europe says that the most of the thiefs are close related like relatives, friends or partner.

If the they not made it themselves, then they gave a tip to the thief who made the deed.

Years ago, in supermarkets as long there was no cams, the most thiefs was not the customers, the staff did it.

This is no reason that we all getting paranoid, but we should avoid simple mistakes.

When I served about 40 years in the german army one of the first things we were told, never leave your room without to lock up your things.

There is still a rule in case you did'nt followed this advices and you did file a report after, then you got the same punishment as the thief.

Justification: You attracted the thief to do the deed, clear your false.

In my opinion hard, but fair rule and it did work, caused we had only 1 case in 2 years in our entire battalion.

Simple advices:

1. Lock up your valueables

2. Install a spy cam.

as Lenin said: "Confidence is good, but control is better" smile.png

Ok, thanks for the comments, it helps to remove any doubt that anything can be done about it. As for accusing directly - not something I would ever think of doing, no matter how sure I may be. Yeah - schoolboy error leaving cash in the room at all, should know better by now!

PS are you serious that this post can be seen as an allegation CMSteve? - i'm assuming it's under conditions of anonymity/hypothetical question. I guess you mean if the guy himself was to see it, right?

yes indeed a very out of pocket school GIRL error

Well spotted Gerry...

another "clickbait"/ possible(I say POSSIBLE ,and if you are genuine skyhi then I apologise) troll post by someone with a low post count...

seriously way too many of these lately.

Unless it wasn't your Western BF dipping into the funds and not telling you, you've experienced the classic Thai cash theft, they often take as much as possible but leave a balance that softens the blow so that you may feel less inclined to take the crime further than the bare basics. Typical Thai hotel safe cash scam is the thai will steal all your cash from the safe and later on after your complaints but before a police report, your money will have been found by the hotel, less 50% cut, you are annoyed that half is gone but releaved some is returned at the same time

Your landlord left you a balance in the thai style. Next time do not leave your cash laying around ANYWHERE in the world, least of all the country of thieves and liars

And yes it's true the Thais steal from each other whever possible. In fact it must just be a SE asian thing. My sister in law had a wedding in Bali, her sister in laws (husbands side) stayed with them in their hotel suite as they are still in university and have no money (university of which is funded by her brother, the groom). My sister in law had an envelope of cash in the room about $850 in Indonesian money which was cash gifts from the guests, including ours. About $300 of that went missing the day after the wedding, our sister in law was quite upset as she had it in her bag the whole time and her bag was only ever on her person or in the room during the night. She was discussing with my wife and she believed that one of the grooms sisters must have taken it, as it's not the first time they have been suspected and or caught of dipping into their brothers wallet or stealing things from the house. But she couldn't accuse and risk ruining the happy tone of the wedding that just occurred. She did a test the following night, left exactly $50 equivilant Indonesian money in her purse, with the bag slightly open in the room, she went for a shower, did some odds and sods, came back to the living room where the Only people there were her 2 sister in laws.. as expected, the purse was short $20 equivilant.

Weird thing is though She did not report it to her husband, only complained to my wife about it. I imagine the test was just to check, for future reference. And to know to be more causious. And worst of all, those 2 sister in laws are now currently staying with them in their house, to save on dormitory costs.

Asians will be asian

"The country of thieves and liars". What exactly are you doing here, if that's what you think? I'd never set foot in such a place, and neither would you, surely?

Ok, thanks for the comments, it helps to remove any doubt that anything can be done about it. As for accusing directly - not something I would ever think of doing, no matter how sure I may be. Yeah - schoolboy error leaving cash in the room at all, should know better by now!

PS are you serious that this post can be seen as an allegation CMSteve? - i'm assuming it's under conditions of anonymity/hypothetical question. I guess you mean if the guy himself was to see it, right?

Well spotted Gerry...

another "clickbait"/ possible(I say POSSIBLE ,and if you are genuine skyhi then I apologise) troll post by someone with a low post count...

Having figured out what Clickbait means, the obvious question would be, what is in it for her if Thaivisa's hit count is increased?

Second question, what is worse, trolls or people that think everyone is a troll?

Maybe she has a low post count because she doesn't consider it important. As far as I know there aren't any prizes. Maybe she only posts when she actually has something to say.

Well spotted Gerry...

Having figured out what Clickbait means, the obvious question would be, what is in it for her if Thaivisa's hit count is increased?

Second question, what is worse, trolls or people that think everyone is a troll?

Maybe she has a low post count because she doesn't consider it important. As far as I know there aren't any prizes. Maybe she only posts when she actually has something to say.

by that rationale you've had something to say 746 times in one year Joe.that's twice a day whereas I've posted 200 times since 2007.

You must value your own opinion very highly. w00t.gif

As I said in my post if its a genuine post then I apologise to skyhi in advance,

it just bears a striking similarity to a lot of post's guaranteed to get the ol' "hang em high" and "som nom naa" crowd all fired up lately,and the main thing you missed is that this "farang lady who speaks Thai well enough to go to a Police station" referred to a mistake she made as a "SchoolBOY mistake...

I DON'T think that every post is a Troll post,just pointing out something that many others have noticed too.

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

Unless it wasn't your Western BF dipping into the funds and not telling you, you've experienced the classic Thai cash theft, they often take as much as possible but leave a balance that softens the blow so that you may feel less inclined to take the crime further than the bare basics. Typical Thai hotel safe cash scam is the thai will steal all your cash from the safe and later on after your complaints but before a police report, your money will have been found by the hotel, less 50% cut, you are annoyed that half is gone but releaved some is returned at the same time

Your landlord left you a balance in the thai style. Next time do not leave your cash laying around ANYWHERE in the world, least of all the country of thieves and liars

And yes it's true the Thais steal from each other whever possible. In fact it must just be a SE asian thing. My sister in law had a wedding in Bali, her sister in laws (husbands side) stayed with them in their hotel suite as they are still in university and have no money (university of which is funded by her brother, the groom). My sister in law had an envelope of cash in the room about $850 in Indonesian money which was cash gifts from the guests, including ours. About $300 of that went missing the day after the wedding, our sister in law was quite upset as she had it in her bag the whole time and her bag was only ever on her person or in the room during the night. She was discussing with my wife and she believed that one of the grooms sisters must have taken it, as it's not the first time they have been suspected and or caught of dipping into their brothers wallet or stealing things from the house. But she couldn't accuse and risk ruining the happy tone of the wedding that just occurred. She did a test the following night, left exactly $50 equivilant Indonesian money in her purse, with the bag slightly open in the room, she went for a shower, did some odds and sods, came back to the living room where the Only people there were her 2 sister in laws.. as expected, the purse was short $20 equivilant.

Weird thing is though She did not report it to her husband, only complained to my wife about it. I imagine the test was just to check, for future reference. And to know to be more causious. And worst of all, those 2 sister in laws are now currently staying with them in their house, to save on dormitory costs.

Asians will be asian

"The country of thieves and liars". What exactly are you doing here, if that's what you think? I'd never set foot in such a place, and neither would you, surely?
I'm not 'there'

I worked in Bangkok for 2 years as I was paid to go there on a package I couldn't refuse.

I did the same 2 years in Indonesia as well. Certainly not the be all end all of countries but the people are certainly more sincere than the Thais in General. The arrogance of the Thais get old quite quickly, give me Indonesia any day. Although I will say it was 'easier' to work with the Thais in comparison, as they did have a superior competence and skill set available, compared with what's readily available in Indonesia

Given the choice id rather live in Hong Kong or Singapore (also worked there)

Edited by Grindting