Sausage Maker - Buy in UK or Thailand?

Hi Guys,

I will be heading back to Blighty for 3 weeks soon and when I come back to Thailand I would like to make some sausages (Lincolnshire, Cumberland etc).

I hear you can get the skins in Makro here but was wondering if it is best to buy the machine / spices and herbs in the UK and bring back or just buy here and use weight allowance for other things. I would only probably buy an ebay jobby anyway when in UK.

Also do I need a mincer or can I just pound it with hands?

Cheers

Edited by Bmouthboyo

You can easily buy everything you need here, certainly the spices and herbs will not be a problem and as you say, Makro and others sell sausage casings.

The machine used for stuffing sausages is also available here, in Chiang Mai there's a shop on the East side of the moat that sells them, am certain many other similar shops exist in other towns and cities in Thailand.

Why not post a list of the herbs and spices you need, just to confirm. If you come up with some off the wall odditie such as a rare weed that is only found in Lincolnshire during the month of March, you may not be able to find it here, if it's normal stuff such as sage, parsley, pepper and garlic, sage, allspice, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, fennel, anise, cinnamon, mace, mustard, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, coriander and oregano, you will.

• Like 1

So to make say Lincolnshire beauties all the herbs are available here? Sounds too good to be true!!

You can buy Lincolnshire's and Cumberland's in Thailand I found them at tops at central pattaya, imported from the UK

while you may be able to find a meat grinder with a sausage stuffing attachment in most Makro, tesco with a selection of kitchen equipment in Thailand I would suggest buying all the spices you need while in the UK where you have them all to hand at your local supermarket...outside of places with western foodstores like CM, BKK and Pattaya you would be hard pressed to find basic spices like thyme, rosemary and etc...can't even find bolognaise sauce spices most places...

if you buy your meat grinder at yer local Makro check out their selection of spices...

Why not post a list of the herbs and spices you need, just to confirm. If you come up with some off the wall odditie such as a rare weed that is only found in Lincolnshire during the month of March, you may not be able to find it here, if it's normal stuff such as sage, parsley, pepper and garlic, sage, allspice, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, fennel, anise, cinnamon, mace, mustard, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, coriander and oregano, you will.

I live in rural Thailand about half way between BKK and CM and find it hard to get some spices and even a simple thing like mustard powder is not available in Khampaeng Phet. Are there any online stores in Thailand that you know of.

Makro sausage skins are not that good but they work.

while you may be able to find a meat grinder with a sausage stuffing attachment in most Makro, tesco with a selection of kitchen equipment in Thailand I would suggest buying all the spices you need while in the UK where you have them all to hand at your local supermarket...outside of places with western foodstores like CM, BKK and Pattaya you would be hard pressed to find basic spices like thyme, rosemary and etc...can't even find bolognaise sauce spices most places...

if you buy your meat grinder at yer local Makro check out their selection of spices...

The meat grinder at Makro is a bit expensive and Makro's choice of spices at least in Khampaeng Phet are not so good.

I live in rural Thailand about half way between BKK and CM and find it hard to get some spices and even a simple thing like mustard powder is not available in Khampaeng Phet. Are there any online stores in Thailand that you know of.

Living in CM those things are easy to find so my apologies if assumed everyone else had similar easy access - I don't know of any online outlets. Having said that, we drive through KPP every two months or so on the way to the family home in Sukothai, if you don't find what you need let me know and I'll be happy to buy what you need and drop it off on the way down, PM is you wish to do that, next trip in about one month.

Hello All, I got the hand operated their on the L/H side of the shelf post.

The sausage attachment they have is the one on the R. I think I paid

around Bt.1,200, I don't know if you can get extra plates.

Never priced the electric ones.

The second pic is some of converted hand to electric. The pics are a

year ago almost, the Korat Makro.

rice555

post-37242-0-53520000-1403460350_thumb.j

post-37242-0-48823600-1403460368_thumb.j

Living in CM those things are easy to find so my apologies if assumed everyone else had similar easy access - I don't know of any online outlets. Having said that, we drive through KPP every two months or so on the way to the family home in Sukothai, if you don't find what you need let me know and I'll be happy to buy what you need and drop it off on the way down, PM is you wish to do that, next trip in about one month.

Thank you for your kind offer. I actually live 65 km south west of KPP on the edge of the Mae Wong national park but if the need arises I could meet you somewhere on route.

Next month I am going to the UK embassy in BKK to get a letter confirming my pensions so I should be OK for a while as my shopping list is already over a page long.