Public input to be welcomed : Prayuth

Lite Beer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the general giving his speech on TV this morning he accused 'evil rumours' to be the cause of the Khmer illegal worker exodus. In the same time he states the cleaning up of the illegal workers is part of a Plan of his government / junta. So the timing of the evil rumours was very convenient to start realizing the Plan?

What a stupid thing to ask...Input welcome as long as its in line with current thinking by a certain group they mean .... Hmmm

'they mean' ?

It would seem you forgot to add the 'IMHO'. Of course if you have access to additional information to explain the 'they mean', please kindly share with us

The top priority should be a plan to return to civilian government. How to get the military out of politics? Second, privatise state enterprises (when there are fewer resources for corruption corruption will decrease). Third, survey real property of government and military officials. If a colonel or a politician has a Jaguar or fancy house on a civil servant salary, then there must be a presumption of corruption. Then trials and long prison stays.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. The problem is how do you bring that about when a government's ruling party is largely made up of businessmen with vested interests and close ties to a corrupt police force?

The answer is you remove them, and the only ones who can do that are the military.

Which is where we are at now.

• Like 1

When I saw the general giving his speech on TV this morning he accused 'evil rumours' to be the cause of the Khmer illegal worker exodus. In the same time he states the cleaning up of the illegal workers is part of a Plan of his government / junta. So the timing of the evil rumours was very convenient to start realizing the Plan?

Two different things...

Legal workers & Illegal workers

The exodus proves Thailand needs migrant workers but the thing is illegal workers do not pay tax and they are more likely to be exploited.

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

Even if it doesn't bear fruit, it would be an interesting excersise.

This does not seem like a good plan to me, though I appreciate the honourable intentions. Much as we may love this country and wish to participate in shaping its future, we are not Thais - and it is their party, not ours. They are an extremely sensitive people who would probably regard any attempt by falangs to join the current political debate uninvited as presumptive and arrogant.

Nearly two decades of living here and raising a Thai family have taught me that foreign residents are not as popular or as vital to the Thai economy as many of us seem to imagine. From what I gather, many Thais - particularly men - regard falangs rather as we Brits perceived visiting American GIs during the last war - "overpaid, oversexed and over here".

The raft of restrictions placed upon us (for example in regard to land ownership, obtaining permanent residence) implies that our tenure in the Land of Smiles is tolerated rather than welcomed. It would be foolhardy to rock an already far from steady boat.

If the General wishes for our input, doubtless he will ask for it. Otherwise, at this exceedingly delicate stage of Thailand's process of political form, it surely would be more sensible to keep our alien heads down and our unsolicited opinions to ourselves.

You make some fine points but many of us have Thai wives.

Perhaps they should be the ones to provide the ideas - written in Thai?

• Like 1

There's a lot of smart guys and Thai-experienced guys on TVF. It wouldn't hurt to form a committee to accept our own lot of suggestions and refine them down to form a bullet-point petition of ideas to correct the main issues, and present it to Gen. Prayuth.

I know the nay-sayers will be all "He'll never listen to farangs", and "We'd never get a consensus", however, to the first point I'd say that 1. It's worth a try, 2. If you don't try you will certainly not succeed, 3. Gen. Prayuth appears to be actually quite worldly in his approach and has been quite "unThai" at times, and 4. The General is smart enough to know that although not part of the electorate, the condensed views of tens of thousands of worldly and Thai-experienced people is worth a read, and to the second obstacle, well, that's why there's a committee, to find a consensus on the issues.

Maybe a special TVF subforum to accept suggestions and nominations for committee members? A subforum strictly only for submissions, with no replies, quotes or debate.....the committee do the debating based on the submissions. After submissions close, the forum is view-only to non committee members while the committee debate publicly.

It's a good idea. I am doing something similar with the marine conservation issues in the Andaman/Phuket area. About 10 or so of the most important issues threatening the marine ecosystem here. It will be signed by about 40 researchers, NGO's, and marine conservation groups involved in marine protection in the region. :)

• Like 2

The negative posters on here should be ruddy well ashamed of themselves.,.... Do us all a favour and buggah off back to wherever you call home.

Sea, Chris and others brilliant idea to at least get a list of bullet points together. Then let's see where that leads.

Public opinion is welcome, just so long as no-one criticises the coup, or off to prison you go ...

As long as Thailand has tourists like you it will take longer than necessary to pull it out of the mire. Did you see the General on TV last night-and listened to what he said NO, your too interested to slag him off.

I think his comments are born from a misunderstanding of the article.

The Junta are not asking for feedback on their role, but the opinions are pertaining to reform and the way forward for Thailand.

With an open, transparent and sincere approach to this I see some positive outcomes and the people of Thailand appreciate it.

• Like 2

The negative posters on here should be ruddy well ashamed of themselves.,.... Do us all a favour and buggah off back to wherever you call home.

Sea, Chris and others brilliant idea to at least get a list of bullet points together. Then let's see where that leads.

Not too sure about any army being presented with bullet points...? sad.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I support this effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Throw my name in the hat.

Public opinion is welcome, just so long as no-one criticises the coup, or off to prison you go ...

As long as Thailand has tourists like you it will take longer than necessary to pull it out of the mire. Did you see the General on TV last night-and listened to what he said NO, your too interested to slag him off.

First off what kind of a tourist am I meant to be? I have been in Thailand long enough to learn to speak fluent Thai.

And on the topic of the military listening to the public, I believe that actions speak louder than words. And when are we going to see the general releasing all those who have been detained merely for speaking out against the coup, without restrictions on what they can and can't say?

Edited by ThailandNoob

First off what kind of a tourist am I meant to be? I have been in Thailand long enough to learn to speak fluent Thai.

And on the topic of the military listening to the public, I believe that actions speak louder than words. And when are we going to see the general releasing all those who have been detained merely for speaking out against the coup, without restrictions on what they can and can't say?

Unless you have a Thai passport/or national, we are all tourists, every visa is a kind of tourist visa--even when working/ business nothing is permanent.

You needn't be here 1 day to speak fluent Thai. I am here over 30 years and class myself living here but still a tourist --long stay--

He just stated yesterday about feedback, give the bloke a bleeding chance, Name who is kept against their will, without committing offences,?? If the people only speak against the coup an get jailed 12 from TVF would be inside.

Your over the top about "say anything and your inside" but if you are posting just to be with the minority fine, that's your posting right.

Most posters are smiling a little at the quick progress, but are also patient the same as you should be--only a month and not bad is the mood---far better than the Shin clan. this is not classed as democratic but the PTP didn't govern democratically. so what's the problem.??

The top priority should be a plan to return to civilian government. How to get the military out of politics? Second, privatise state enterprises (when there are fewer resources for corruption corruption will decrease). Third, survey real property of government and military officials. If a colonel or a politician has a Jaguar or fancy house on a civil servant salary, then there must be a presumption of corruption. Then trials and long prison stays.

Watching the general last night would have clearly given you one of the main priorities, he said he wanted to get the reforms though to ensure a repeat of bad governing will not be possible and then a.s.a.p. election.

Unless like a few on TVF elections tomorrow.

I think elections will take place in about two years. It will take a long time to remove

all the snouts from the trough, and have the Thai people actually understand how

to operate with no corruption. Also I hope when they finally have elections, there will

be a death penalty for vote buying.....

Actually , given the amazing job Prayuth has done, I would be perfectly happy if he stayed

in office. I am getting a bit sick of the standard corruption riddled government that vote

buying has gotten for the last few years.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

What a stupid thing to ask...Input welcome as long as its in line with current thinking by a certain group they mean .... Hmmm

Quite an outrageous biased view OAK. What a stupid thing to say ??? who you ??? Input feedback necessary, without it up to now he would not have made the decisions he has.

Give him more than a month man be fair---3 years of misery and no progress and your complaining after 1 month and mega changes are already implemented.

Outrageous ? why because its exactly true certain thinking or certain opinion isnt allowed any more ? how many examples of restricted thinking or talking or writing or posting or meetings would you like ?

BTW who exactly is this HE ? God ? all seeing, all knowing, all listening, with all the time in the world to do things himself ? or do you think its likely there is little understanding or decision and thought by the same or actually looked at and decided by others. Care to guess who those players and advisor's are ?

Ill give you a clue, God dosnt exist my friend, its the high priests that make the decisions in his name and claim or pretend it all came from God just to play the control card...... now get down on your knees and give us 500 hail marys :)

I dont believe in god or even the boogy man, why would I believe in fairy tales ?

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. The problem is how do you bring that about when a government's ruling party is largely made up of businessmen with vested interests and close ties to a corrupt police force?

The answer is you remove them, and the only ones who can do that are the military.

Which is where we are at now.

There is some suspicion that there are corrupt people in the military as well, so how to deal wit them? Perhaps a five year timeout for all politicians, businessmen, police, soldiers, etc.

are you serious? I only see the dregs of western society here

Unfortunately many comments and suggestions are being deemed as criticism and dealt with harshly. The general is a beginner, he also needs to learn to listen. But will he?

About to retire and quote "beginner"... dealt with Harshly--WHO is, back this up.

He is listening, in a month how do you think he is improving Thailand, it's called feedback in business, and he is trying to do what was needed 3 years ago.

Learn, he knows more than you do about Thailand than you would ever know in a hundred years. Some posters are biased and some have no patience.

Quite an outrageous biased view OAK. What a stupid thing to say ??? who you ??? Input feedback necessary, without it up to now he would not have made the decisions he has.

Give him more than a month man be fair---3 years of misery and no progress and your complaining after 1 month and mega changes are already implemented.

Considering he doesn't even live in Thailand, why bother listening to his Red Propaganda?

So far The General has done a good job, most Thai people I've spoken to seem to be pretty happy with what he has done, and what he is saying. Obviously, we have to see the results of this, and not just words but they have done more in 4 weeks than the clowns we have had done in the last 10 years.

wrong on living and wrong on my political opinions but go right ahead and make up what you wish, dosnt bother me ill think what i wish to think and not what im told to thanks :P

are you serious? I only see the dregs of western society here

Pattaya resident, are you?

'they mean' ?

It would seem you forgot to add the 'IMHO'. Of course if you have access to additional information to explain the 'they mean', please kindly share with us

Sorry cant share, its not allowed here under the wonderful current rules restricting freedom of speech, so obviously the info dosnt exist. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

'they mean' ?

Sorry cant share, its not allowed here under the wonderful current rules restricting freedom of speech, so obviously the info dosnt exist. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

I could reply meaningfully to this, but the forum rules inhibit me somewhat. Mind you, those forum rules were in place before we had the 'coup' and martial law declared.

Now if you want to start a discussion with info you only hint at, but cannot share, you more-or-less kill off the 'discussion' part. Obviously that's not (nor ever will be) your fault, it's just that you can't and any one reading your post should simply believe what you write and / or imply.

Maybe only the last part of your post makes real sense, "the info doesn't exist" rolleyes.gif