Hyperpro shock - hard to adjust?

BKKBike09

I've been looking at the basic Hyperpro rear shock - the Hyperpro 460 - for my FZ-09 [note: thanks to RubberSideDown for bringing up Hyperpro in the first place]. I've read posts by a Dutch owner on an MT-09 forum who said good things about it, and also some French dude, and general reviews of Hyperpro on other bikes seem really good as well.

I asked a dealer in UK if they could get me one for when I'm back there next month. They can get one but have said "We would also recommend purchasing a Hydraulic Preload Adjuster with this shock, as the shock position makes it very hard to adjust without. This is an additional £200.00."

I'm not going to buy the shock if I also have to fork out for a remote preload adjuster. At first I thought this is just a sales tactic but I'm not very familiar with Hyperpro so would like to know if anyone with more experience of them thinks this statement may be true. It's hard to tell from the pics I've seen. I also subsequently then saw the shock for sale elsewhere in UK with the following warning:

All Sport Shocks come complete with c-spanner type preload adjustment and have adjustable rebound damping.

PLEASE NOTE DUE TO THE POSITION OF THE SHOCK, PRELOAD CANNOT BE ADJUSTED WITHOUT REMOVING THE SHOCK FROM THE BIKE. HYDRAULIC PRELOAD IS AVAILABLE TO ORDER AT TIME OF BUILD IF REQUIRED.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyperpro-Sport-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Yamaha-MT-09-FZ-09-MT09-FZ09-/151311205001

So now I'm not so sure what the position is. I'm going to ring the dealer in UK on Monday and ask them to explain exactly what "very hard to adjust" actually means but before then would be interested to know if anyone has had similar experience with the basic Hyperpro on any other bike.

Also since the spring rate is customised to your weight / typical use and riding style, I would hope that the preload would be fine straight out of the box. Seems a bit daft if you genuinely can only adjust by taking off the bike, putting it back on, rechecking sag etc etc.

Finally, call me cynical, but I can just see that having a remote preload adjuster is, in Thailand, just waiting for some clown to play with it while you're parked up somewhere to see what happens. Already had someone muck about with the brake and clutch lever clickers while parked in my office car park.

Thanks.

I've never had to deal with a shock without out a remote adjuster, but no doubt Hyperpro will give you suggestions based on your weight and riding style as far as base settings go, and they'll be pretty much on the money- issues you might have are if you often ride two-up or plan to take your bike to the track, which are times you'd want to make changes and it might be worth buying the accessory.

You'll possibly be able to fabricate a tool (or adjust an existing one) to gain access to the adjuster on the shock itself if it's only in a really tight spot, but if it's completely covered and hidden, there's no other option but removal (which is a real PITA).

I did a quick search on the subject (which you've no doubt done as well), and there are some very good reviews (as you mentioned), but no solid info on your specific application.

Thanks RSR / yankee.

Re-reading this post by a French owner I now see that he does say the preload is at the front/top-end of the shock so can't be reached once shock is installed.

Base shocks for the 09 from Penske / Ohlins are both easily adjustable at the bottom end.

However he's the same weight as me and says he's really happy with the shock, and also makes the point that since it's custom-built to rider weight / riding style the preload is pretty much spot on out of the box. Sounds promising. Anything has to better than the stock rear.