Places to visit from Khon Kaen with family

drkwtsn

My wife and I will be in Khon Kaen (she is from there) for 2 weeks and wish to travel somewhere else as well..

I know Isaan doesn't have too many resort type areas, but can anyone recommend somewhere we could possibly drive to and stay for a few days? We have 3 kids and also plan on taking her mother and possibly her brother with us, so driving would be easiest.

Thanks

You should go to Nam Nao (Cold Water), nice place about 90 km west of Khon Kaen in the mountains. And nearby is also a nice national park. Or you can go Bung Khan on the Mekong, north of Nakon Phanom. Also nice place. Or Nong Khai, just 2 hours by car, 55 km north of Udon Thani, on the border to Laos on the Mekong. Once you are there it is not far to Vientiane, capital of Laos PDR. Nice to see is also Chum Phae, on the way to Nam Nao.

I believe there is a resort a short drive north of Khon kaen.

It is supposed to be almost as a beach resort.

http://castle-howchow.com/

Anyone know about it?

I haven't been personally, but my in-laws took my kids there for a swim - they raved about it.

It is in Kranuan, which is a large dusty town with not much else to recommend it. It's not a bad drive from the main highway, and you will feel like you are deep in Isaan if that's what you are after - farm equipment driving on the main road, buffaloes etc..

There is also 'King Cobra Village' between the highway and Kranuan. Worth a visit but be aware that some of the snakes they drape over you after the show are actually King Cobras. Probably drugged up, but you're a long way from a hospital if things go pear shaped. On the plus side, my wife swears by the herbal 'snake oil' they sell there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297926-d546718-Reviews-King_Cobra_Village-Khon_Kaen_Khon_Kaen_Province.html

Edit: There may be other snake farms - the one on the road to Kranuan is in Baan Ngu Chong Ang (Google spelling):

https://www.google.com/maps/@16.6961268,102.9213264,14z

Edited by moojar

Good luck you will be bored lol. I would recommend the Ratchawadee resort as you have a nice hotel with pool and gardens. Also the Pullman if in your budget. Central Mall probably the most exciting activity in KK. See a moive. You can go to the dam.

You will soon understand why they drink so much in Isaan they are bored lol.

Nice people, okay place but two weeks is a long time.

Guess I should of stated more about myself... I have been to Khon Kaen many times and we own a house there smile.png I have just never been to a resort, or anything like that near Khon Kaen so was wondering where we could get out to escape to.. Also thinking about packing the family up early and heading down south for the last part of the trip, but that obviously comes with a heavy additional cost as the beach towns are always more expensive

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, looking forward to anymore you have!

oh and definitely no snakes! haha

Edited by drkwtsn

Ubon Rat reservoir is the closest place to KK. There are resorts, and if you play golf, the military course is not too bad there too.

A must for a daytrip.

Dinosaur bones in Phu Wiang maybe not that exciting for children. But good for a daytrip too.