Myanmar man held for forced child labour

Lite Beer

Myanmar man held for forced child labour
Supachai Petchtewee
The Sunday Nation

A Myanmar man has been arrested over his alleged involvement in human trafficking and forced child labour after he "bought" three Myanmar children from their mothers for Bt1,800 each, police said yesterday.

The police's Anti-Human Trafficking Division yesterday announced the arrest of Maung Myang-U, 22, who allegedly paid the mothers of the three children, all aged under 15, and used them to sell roses to tourists on Bangkok streets.

The suspect, who was arrested at a rented room in Phra Nakhon district on Friday, also reportedly had to pay the Myanmar-based mothers 50,000 kyat (Bt1,800) a month for each child, said division commander Maj-General Kittisak Durongkhawibul. The arrest stemmed from public complaints over the children being forced to sell flowers to foreign tourists in the Khao San Road area, he said.

Police on Friday questioned an eight-year-old boy, who told police that he and his six-year-old sister had been sold to Maung Myang-U by their mother nine months ago.

Maung Myang-U then forced them to sell at least 25 roses at Bt20 each in the Khao San area from 7pm to 2am each day, the boy told police.

The kids didn't get paid if they couldn't meet the sales target and they would get scolded and beaten, the boy said.

Police then went to the suspect's room to arrest him and seized a notebook recording flower sales and rescued a 13-year-old girl there. The man was charged for human trafficking via forced child labour.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-22

Agreed. The mother should be arrested as well. This is happening all over thailand though. Nana, Patpong, and Khao san road are well known for kids walking the streets late at night selling flowers and most are sold by their mothers to do it.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I WAS THERE. omg. i was sitting having a sheesha as i saw some... large and overweight guy leading the children by hand. i was disgusted how a 6-7 yearold was selling flowers at 1 am. there are 2 flower kids (about 12-14yr) i recongnize and often buy from them. but the new kids are even younger. and someone shaved the little girls head to "create" sympathy. bastard.

• Like 1

The cops see this daily in those areas. They NEVER do any questioning to these little kids.sad.pngmad.gif

"They NEVER do any questioning..." According to this report they do, hasn't someone has been arrested after speaking to the children involved?

I WAS THERE. omg. i was sitting having a sheesha as i saw some... large and overweight guy leading the children by hand. i was disgusted how a 6-7 yearold was selling flowers at 1 am. there are 2 flower kids (about 12-14yr) i recongnize and often buy from them. but the new kids are even younger. and someone shaved the little girls head to "create" sympathy. bastard.

"i was disgusted...i recongnize and often buy from them." Hardly the actions of someone who was disgusted, to contribute to the sad situation and encourage the practice by making yourself a customer. If nobody ever bought from them they would soon disappear.

Arresting one citizen from Myanmar for human trafficking should elevate Thailand back to tier 2 on the US TIP list.

No.

It shows that they are now clamping down...

The police under the Junta's watchful eye can no longer risk taking bribes to turn a blind eye to this, then have no alternative other than to have to strictly enforce the law and purge these cancers from Thai society.

I wouldn't like to be a copper who gets caught allowing child labour to continue on the basis of being paid to look the other way.

Sadly, once the Junta steps down, I fear it will all come back again.

These reforms really need to target the police and hand down huge prison sentences for corruption.... not stupid 'transfers'. Hard prison time and have ALL assets stripped.

• Like 2

"A Myanmar man has been arrested over his alleged involvement in human trafficking and forced child labour after he "bought" three Myanmar children from their mothers for Bt1,800 each, police said yesterday.

The police's Anti-Human Trafficking Division yesterday announced the arrest of Maung Myang-U, 22, who allegedly paid the mothers of the three children, all aged under 15, and used them to sell roses to tourists on Bangkok streets.

The suspect, who was arrested at a rented room in Phra Nakhon district on Friday, also reportedly had to pay the Myanmar-based mothers 50,000 kyat (Bt1,800) a month for each child...."

Get it right Supachai. He didn't buy them at all for Bt1,800 each. He rented them for that monthly amount, according to your own report.

I condone neither buying nor renting, but pls be accurate. wink.png

Edited by UbonRatch

Smack yourself in the forehead if you honestly don't see your part in perpetuating human trafficking and forced child labor.... condemning it while supporting it by buying flowers is moronic.

Oh bite your tongue, idiot. The kids stay until the flowers are gone , bonehead.

You buy flowers from them, then they can finish early the quota, next day the quota is increased.

you dont buy flowers, they will find another way to make them work, like washing windshields at red lights.

so, the only way to really fix is to make it really hard punishment for this crime and make new laws.

A child should never be allowed to work on the street, and it should be the duty of police to approach every kid on the street. but those piece of thieves on uniform only allows it to happen everyday.

The police are as criminal and guilty here.

Do me a favor.

Next time you see a 12-14 year old kid selling flowers - dont buy them.

I know your heart is in the right place but you are helping to perpetuate their abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Do me a favor.

Next time you see a 12-14 year old kid selling flowers - dont buy them.

I know your heart is in the right place but you are helping to perpetuate their abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

+1 This has been going on forever... They were on the streets of Udorn in the early 70's when I was stationed there.

Arresting one citizen from Myanmar for human trafficking should elevate Thailand back to tier 2 on the US TIP list.

No.

It shows that they are now clamping down...

The police under the Junta's watchful eye can no longer risk taking bribes to turn a blind eye to this, then have no alternative other than to have to strictly enforce the law and purge these cancers from Thai society.

I wouldn't like to be a copper who gets caught allowing child labour to continue on the basis of being paid to look the other way.

Sadly, once the Junta steps down, I fear it will all come back again.

These reforms really need to target the police and hand down huge prison sentences for corruption.... not stupid 'transfers'. Hard prison time and have ALL assets stripped.

This has started and it won't be allowed to stop, until CP can sell its shrimp again.

Its going to be good watching.