Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

Do you have Thai neighbours.What to they think???If you  have a Thai wife,what is her opinion???

mickjn, please read my OP again, also post #111.

My Thai wife keeps taking selfies, her and the flag to post on her facebook.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Costas -- The's a US patriotic song written in 1906 by George M. Cohan called You're a Grand Old Flag the chorus which starts:

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high-flying flag,
And forever in peace may you wave.

But the ThaiVisa Chubby Brown brigade could have fun with it starting:

You're a stiff old flag,
You're a high-flying flag,
And forever in a piece may it wave.

etc.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_a_Grand_Old_Flag#Lyrics

The OP has gone quiet on this thread. He has the Greek flag as his avatar and he says that he flies the flag outside his house. It would be helpful to know what he hopes other people think when they see his Greek flag? Presumably he expects a positive response, even from the Turks!

What do Thais know about Greece? lla regguB, I would have thought. If Thais ask you, what does Greece mean to you, what do you tell them?

The OP, has other things, also to do.......clean the house.........drink his Café Yen.........
The OP, also is not very much interested as to what other people think when they see the Greek flag.
The OP, is very proud of being Greek and loves his country.
The OP, thinks the Turks also love their country and they are good friends of the Greeks.
The OP, has established that Thais, know a lot about Greece, and sometimes he is very pleasantly surprised of that.
The OP, will answer, if he is asked from Thais what Greece means to him.........EVERYTHING.
The OP, will also tell the Thais that he loves Thailand and Thai people.
Regards
The OP.
Hello Costas2008

Thank you for your reply.

My previous post was not meant to be as impolite as you seem to think. No disrespect was intended.

It's just that culturally we are so different. I may have strong feelings about my home country, but those thoughts and feelings are my own business; they are nobody else's. It would never cross my mind to fly the flag or even to wear a T shirt with the flag emblazoned upon it. It's too "in your face".

Edited to remove last two paragraphs which were perhaps on reflection, too negative. Edited by jukebox

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This thread is making me hungry for a chicken souvlaki salad.

And i want to Smash some Plates,and eat Lobster in Paliokastritsa or something sounding like that in Corfu.biggrin.png

I wonder what kind of comment the OP would have made if I had started this thread:

"I'm American, and I'm a true patriot, so I have a big American flag flying right outside my front gate! Here's a photo! Anyone else?"

Bet I would have gotten some rather snide comments. All in good fun of course, but still...

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I wonder what kind of comment the OP would have made if I had started this thread:

"I'm American, and I'm a true patriot, so I have a big American flag flying right outside my front gate! Here's a photo! Anyone else?"

Bet I would have gotten some rather snide comments. All in good fun of course, but still...

coffee1.gif

Always, listen to your heart.

Other peoples comments, can be considered, but don't have to be followed.

• Like 1

As a Canadian it is much more likely that I would hang the banner of my favorite hockey team (if they didn't suck currently). This to us is a deeper form of nationalism. That and Tim Horton's, but we can't get that here either.

Must be from Vancouver

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

As a Canadian it is much more likely that I would hang the banner of my favorite hockey team (if they didn't suck currently). This to us is a deeper form of nationalism. That and Tim Horton's, but we can't get that here either.

Must be from Vancouver

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Canadians had to stop putting their flag on backpacks when they travel as they kept getting mistaken for US americans who used to put the Maple Leaf on theirs.

Edited by harrry

To hang or not to hang, thats a personal choice, but I wouldnt be hanging it quite so in other peoples faces.

Hey Charlie, after this mornings football results, I started taking your advice seriously.

I don't want the Greek flag in other peoples faces............not the Thais but.......the English, the Americans, the Italians, the Australians and others............

Costas2008, on 24 Jun 2014 - 01:35, said:

mickjn, on 24 Jun 2014 - 00:52, said:

Do you have Thai neighbours.What to they think???If you  have a Thai wife,what is her opinion???

mickjn, please read my OP again, also post #111.

My Thai wife keeps taking selfies, her and the flag to post on her facebook.

Do you mean with the Thai flag or the Greek flag or both

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This thread is making me hungry for a chicken souvlaki salad.

And i want to Smash some Plates,and eat Lobster in Paliokastritsa or something sounding like that in Corfu.biggrin.png

I thought that was something to do with Gorbachev :)

Thai's are fearful of colonisation by stealth. You get reminded at every corner that your a guest. Such as 90 day reporting or not owning the land that you reside on etc etc.
Flying the flag could be taken as rubbing it in their faces that your here to stay regardless of what they think & staking your claim.
It may not be the case where you live, but not all Thailand is so forgivin.
  • Like 1

I think it is inappropriate.....
I would be very angry to see the Turkish immigrants fly their flags in my home country. And everyone was upset with Erdogan making speeches in Germany and Austria.

Yes, it is fairly common for Mexicans to fly their own flag here in the US and I consider it insulting.
After all, they chose to live in the US because it offers them a better life not found in their country.
It seems that flying the flag of the host country would be the way to show ones' appreciation.

But i am of an earlier generation and I don't think nationalism or flags has the importance amongst the younger generations.

Ofcourse, I don't know how a Thai national would feel, my views might be uniquely jingoistic and out dated.
  • Like 1

Any self respecting hating Thai apologist will tell you that it is OK for Thai people to be proud of their country but IT IS NOT OK for Westerners to be proud of their country, haven't you learned anything on Thai visa??

Maybe westerners are just more educated about their own country's faults and history?

I was all for immigration until the UK Government began changing our laws to accommodate immigrants demands.

That was when I believe, the Great was removed from Britain.

[quote name="GuestHouse" post="8008123" timestamp="1403491719"]I once witnessed a very nasty incident in which the police where called to an international corporation office in which there were three flags flying; the Thai flag in the centre, then spaced about 15 meters either side two other national flags (relating to the nationality of the corporation).

When a senior member of staff died at work someone took it upon themselves to put the flags at half mast. 

A member of the Thai staff then measured the heights of the flags and discovered the Thai flag was a nat's cock lower than one of the other flags. 

Thai staff stood guard over the flags until the police arrived - A significant amount of money changed hands to avoid arrests and criminal charges. 

I'd advise flying no flags or the Thai flag only or make sure your Thai flag is visibly higher than your own country flag. [/quote

You are correct. However if you're suggesting they follow proper flag protocol then the flag has to be taken down, removed at dusk or steps taken to ensure the flag is lite up at night, never in the dark. I'm simply pointing this out as a matter of interest. I lived on a NATO base for a number of years and flag issues cropped up from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

To hang or not to hang, thats a personal choice, but I wouldnt be hanging it quite so in other peoples faces.

Hey Charlie, after this mornings football results, I started taking your advice seriously.
I don't want the Greek flag in other peoples faces............not the Thais but.......the English, the Americans, the Italians, the Australians and others............
But you do want to, Costas, you do. That's the whole point. That's why you put the Greek flag up in the first place. It's worth taking Charlie's advice if you can though. What he said makes sense.

BTW although the Americans lost to Germany, they still go through to the last 16 on goal difference:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/26/sport/football/world-cup-usa-germany-portugal-ghana/index.html

... and good luck to them ... and to Greece too. No problem wishing you all well. England didn't deserve to progress. Perhaps they need to have more bite ... :)
  • Like 1

A little disappointed here.

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

I flew the US flag in front of my house for the first 3-4 years I  lived here until it finally wore out. Plenty of my neighbors are high ranking Army and Police and they never cared at all. I only flew the US flag so I never worried about height. US law stipulates that "International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace". If I was to fly both I would do so at the same height.

Fly my country's flag?  No.  Maybe my state's flag generates some nostalgic yearning.  But, still, no.  Might as well raise a banner in Thai announcing "the farang and all his money live HERE."

• Like 1

Fly my country's flag?  No.  Maybe my state's flag generates some nostalgic yearning.  But, still, no.  Might as well raise a banner in Thai announcing "the farang and all his money live HERE."

I've never had a problem being robbed here. It might have something to do with my sign though.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem being robbed here. It might have something to do with my sign though.

I have had someone try and break in my front door while I was at home.  I chased them away with a butcher's knife.  But I do like your idea.  A sign in Thai saying "Beware of Ghosts in the House" just might do the trick.  It sure wouldn't hurt.  Maybe warn potential robbers that they might become ghosts if they did try and enter.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1