Human trafficking downgrade impacts Thailand negatively: BoT

webfact

Human trafficking downgrade impacts Thailand negatively: BoT
By Digital Content

14035123709958.jpg

BANGKOK, June 23 -- The United States decision to downgrade Thailand in its human trafficking rankings has a negative impact on the kingdom, according to Bank of Thailand (BoT) governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul.

Mr Prasarn said the US moved Thailand to its worst assessment level, that of the Tier 3 group of countries being watched for human trafficking, has tarnished the country's national image and reputation and could slow national economic recovery to some extent.

However, he said, the government was explaining the issue to the US and the problem happens only in some industries, not all.

Mr Prasarn also said that the Thai Chamber of Commerce was trying to explain the matter to trading partners, especially the US, by informing them that Thailand had tried to tackle human trafficking and if the explanation was successful, there would not be an impact on businesses in the private sector.

The BoT governor commented that the Thai authorities should seriously resolve human trafficking in some industries which had not tackled the problem consistently.

When the country faced an economic slowdown, the problem therefore significantly affected the growth of the national economy, Mr Prasarn said.

It is still too early to assess impacts on Thai exports this year, he reflected.

Mr Prasarn said concerned parties should wait to see if US President Barack Obama would agree with the downgrade of Thailand in the human trafficking watch list.

However, Mr Prasarn admitted that Thai exports would grow by less than 4 per cent and that the national economy would expand by 1.5 per cent this year.

Besides, Mr Prasarn said concerned parties must monitor a meeting of foreign ministers of 28 European countries who would consider relations with Thailand following the May 22 coup of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Thai political situations had not returned to a state that the international community accepted, he said.

Other countries would better understand Thailand when the NCPO finishes implementing its roadmap to restore normality to the country, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-23

The Thai shuffle around and do nothing while offering lip service did not work this

time. So if the economic relationship with the USA is important, they will actually

have to address this issue. In the past, I would say as a certainty nothing would

have been done in the past. But with Prayuth in charge, things may actually change.

• Like 2

'The BoT governor commented that the Thai authorities should seriously resolve human trafficking in some industries which had not tackled the problem consistently.'

I think the Governor is spot on with his assesment here.

One of the worst things that could happen now is Thailand is left on their own. The problem may be bigger than Thailand can cope with. They may need help from overseas organisations that have a lot of experience in this area. Thailand problems may be inherit and need a cultural shift to change. To accomplish, this may be too entrenched in a way of life that has many layers.

I don't think the decision to lower Thailand to Teir 3 should be blamed on the US. Its more like a scream for help.

• Like 1

"The United States decision to downgrade Thailand in its human trafficking rankings has a negative impact on the kingdom, according to Bank of Thailand (BoT) governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul."

Followed by: "It is still too early to assess impacts on Thai exports this year, he reflected."

Followed by: "Mr Prasarn said concerned parties should wait to see if US President Barack Obama would agree with the downgrade of Thailand in the human trafficking watch list."

Followed by: "Mr Prasarn said concerned parties must monitor a meeting of foreign ministers of 28 European countries who would consider relations with Thailand following the May 22 coup of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)."

So actually he has no idea <deleted>tf he's talking about, and can't even verify it in a few sentences. Just where do they get these people from?

Oh yes! Chula.. the place of birth of bought knowledge. bah.gif

• Like 2

HUMAN TRAFFICKING
US' downgrade of Thailand's trafficking rank hurt reputation : Central Bank

BANGKOK: -- The US decision to downgrade Thailand in its human trafficking rankings has a negative impact on the kingdom, said Bank of Thailand (BoT) governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul Monday.

The US moved Thailand to its worst ranking level, that of the Tier 3 group of countries being watched for human trafficking, has tarnished the country’s national image and reputation and could slow national economic recovery to some extent.

However, he said, the government was explaining the issue to the US and the problem happened only in some industries, not all.

Prasarn also said that the Thai Chamber of Commerce was trying to explain the matter to trading partners, especially the US, by informing them that Thailand had tried to tackle human trafficking and if the explanation was successful, there would not be an impact on businesses in the private sector.

The governor said the Thai authorities should seriously resolve human trafficking in some industries which had not tackled the problem consistently.

When the country faced an economic slowdown, the problem therefore significantly affected the growth of the national economy, Prasarn said. However it is still too early to assess impacts on Thai exports this year.

Thailand should wait to see if US President Barack Obama would agree with the downgrade. However, Prasarn admitted that Thai exports would grow by less than 4 per cent and that the national economy would expand by 1.5 per cent this year.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-23

All of this talk about reputation.

I am curious what exactly they thought the reputation of Thailand was anyway. When a western buyer gets off his aeroplane in Bangkok and travels to the suppliers site, what does anyone think he believes? That these are truly world class companies with world class treatment of their workers, or that they are companies desperately trying to squeeze as much out of the workforce, for as little as possible, and that if the companies pay minimum wage, that is a small grace in itself?

These buyers know the score, and they know what is going on. They hope beyond all hope that the suppliers can control their supply chain to keep forced labor and children out of the supply chain. This hasnt damaged Thailand's reputation, this has just opened it up to wider public scrutiny.

But they must be impressed with all the ISO 14001 signs? cheesy.gif

I have been in the CP chicken factory outside Korat. The waste water system in there is something to behold in terms of what goes in and what comes out. Then believe it or not, they take some of the waste water after treatment and use it to water the plants. The whole place smells of raw chicken. There is a pond where a local contractor comes every day to suck out the glycerine that is floating on the ponds. The contractors guys are wading around in the water with no overalls, no masks, no gloves. Nothing.

It is all very neat and tidy, but when you consider that they are eviscerating hundreds of thousands of chickens a day in there, it really is a ghastly and pretty ghoulish place. God only knows what a shrimp processing factory must be like.

All of this talk about reputation.

I am curious what exactly they thought the reputation of Thailand was anyway. When a western buyer gets off his aeroplane in Bangkok and travels to the suppliers site, what does anyone think he believes? That these are truly world class companies with world class treatment of their workers, or that they are companies desperately trying to squeeze as much out of the workforce, for as little as possible, and that if the companies pay minimum wage, that is a small grace in itself?

These buyers know the score, and they know what is going on. They hope beyond all hope that the suppliers can control their supply chain to keep forced labor and children out of the supply chain. This hasnt damaged Thailand's reputation, this has just opened it up to wider public scrutiny.

But they must be impressed with all the ISO 14001 signs? cheesy.gif

I have been in the CP chicken factory outside Korat. The waste water system in there is something to behold in terms of what goes in and what comes out. Then believe it or not, they take some of the waste water after treatment and use it to water the plants. The whole place smells of raw chicken. There is a pond where a local contractor comes every day to suck out the glycerine that is floating on the ponds. The contractors guys are wading around in the water with no overalls, no masks, no gloves. Nothing.

It is all very neat and tidy, but when you consider that they are eviscerating hundreds of thousands of chickens a day in there, it really is a ghastly and pretty ghoulish place. God only knows what a shrimp processing factory must be like.

Probably the same, but full of kids. bah.gif

Edit: Sorry, that was distasteful, and unnecessary... yet I let it stand, as probably true. facepalm.gif

Edited by UbonRatch

I sent the following inquiry to 7 Eleven today. So let’s see what they reply and if I can continue to be a customer at 7 Eleven or to buy any other CP products

Sent: 23 June 2014 22:34
To: 'FAQ(at)7eleven.co.th'
Subject: Concerned customer

Dear Madame/Sir

As I understand it 7 Eleven Thailand is a brand owned by Charoen Pokphand Foods. I have read a lot in the newspapers and on the internet about Charoen Pokphand Foods and slavery/ human trafficking

I’m concerned as people using slaves, exploiting people and having a total lack of respect for other people just because they are poor and uneducated makes me cringe. I find it beyond comprehension how people can use other people like this. Sell their children as sex slaves and then force them to work where ever. How is it possible to live with themselves and how can these people, after having sold children and performing other atrocities come home to their children in the evening, looking them in the eyes pretending to have done a good day’s job. And what will become of these children when they grow up? They will most likely just continue as these atrocities are just BUSINESS as usual as mommy and daddy have thought them.

I feel bad just thinking about it, no, I get sick just thinking about it. Maybe it is a cultural thing as I’m from a country where we look down on people using other people like this. And they end up in prison. Of course, there is human trafficking and slave workers all over the world, so I’m not sitting on any high horses here. But where I come from they get caught when the Police finds out. Severe punishment, also for any Police and Politicians involved if that would be the case

And as a long time customer at 7 Eleven in Thailand I need some clarifications so I can continue making business at 7 Eleven. I have one 7 Eleven store just outside my condo but I have another convenient store just 50 meters further up the road.

I have found the service at my local 7 Eleven excellent and I want to continue doing my shopping at 7 Eleven. And I really hope that you can guarantee that Charoen Pokphand Foods are not involved in this atrocities. Or ever have been, just coming with a last minute “we’re so sorry it will never happen again” will not do it for me. If Charoen Pokphand Foods have ever been involved in any slave business it is already too much.

Please return with the good news that neither Charoen Pokphand Foods and 7 Eleven is involved as soon as possible

Best regards

7 Eleven customer 94629 5100 4584 5329

New York Times editorial: Thai seafood is contaminated by human trafficking.

The report builds on recent investigations by Reuters, the Environmental Justice Foundation and The Guardian newspaper, which found that slavery is central to the shrimp industry’s success. So is corruption. The State Department said Thai civilian and military officials and the police profited from smuggling members of the Rohingya, a Muslim minority who are fleeing oppression in Myanmar and Bangladesh, into the country, holding them in detention centers and then selling them to brokers and boat owners.

Edited by attrayant

I sent the following inquiry to 7 Eleven today. So let’s see what they reply and if I can continue to be a customer at 7 Eleven or to buy any other CP products

Sent: 23 June 2014 22:34

To: 'FAQ(at)7eleven.co.th'

Subject: Concerned customer

Dear Madame/Sir

As I understand it 7 Eleven Thailand is a brand owned by Charoen Pokphand Foods. I have read a lot in the newspapers and on the internet about Charoen Pokphand Foods and slavery/ human trafficking

I’m concerned as people using slaves, exploiting people and having a total lack of respect for other people just because they are poor and uneducated makes me cringe. I find it beyond comprehension how people can use other people like this. Sell their children as sex slaves and then force them to work where ever. How is it possible to live with themselves and how can these people, after having sold children and performing other atrocities come home to their children in the evening, looking them in the eyes pretending to have done a good day’s job. And what will become of these children when they grow up? They will most likely just continue as these atrocities are just BUSINESS as usual as mommy and daddy have thought them.

I feel bad just thinking about it, no, I get sick just thinking about it. Maybe it is a cultural thing as I’m from a country where we look down on people using other people like this. And they end up in prison. Of course, there is human trafficking and slave workers all over the world, so I’m not sitting on any high horses here. But where I come from they get caught when the Police finds out. Severe punishment, also for any Police and Politicians involved if that would be the case

And as a long time customer at 7 Eleven in Thailand I need some clarifications so I can continue making business at 7 Eleven. I have one 7 Eleven store just outside my condo but I have another convenient store just 50 meters further up the road.

I have found the service at my local 7 Eleven excellent and I want to continue doing my shopping at 7 Eleven. And I really hope that you can guarantee that Charoen Pokphand Foods are not involved in this atrocities. Or ever have been, just coming with a last minute “we’re so sorry it will never happen again” will not do it for me. If Charoen Pokphand Foods have ever been involved in any slave business it is already too much.

Please return with the good news that neither Charoen Pokphand Foods and 7 Eleven is involved as soon as possible

Best regards

7 Eleven customer 94629 5100 4584 5329

I hope there is a familymart not too far from your condo.

I hope there is a familymart not too far from your condo.

It's pretty easy to boycott 7-Eleven, I do it about 361 days a year, on average, although not on purpose at all. It's a little more difficult to boycott CP. I have a feeling Khun Aladdin isn't quite aware of what a CP boycott might do to his lifestyle.