Baht Bus Fares Explained...

Noel

Baht bus chief says fares set in accordance with Land Transport Department guidelines

Says foreign tourist fares are higher because of currency differences

Vimolrat Singnikorn

Songtaew operators maintain a fare pricing structure in accordance with the Department of Land Transport and are not able to arbitrarily raise fares because of rising fuel costs or any other reason, says the head of the association representing the operators.

Currently there are 700 songtaews (baht buses) in Pattaya.

The Pattaya Transport Cooperative held its annual ordinary meeting recently, with Mayor Niran Watthanasartsathorn presenting the official opening speech and Chamnan Chantarachart of the Chonburi Transport Cooperative and Chamlong Sukprom, president of the Pattaya Transport Cooperative on hand to welcome members to the Grand Sole Hotel.

The Pattaya Transport Cooperative is a songtaew service that transports passengers on fixed routes throughout Pattaya. It was founded 29 years ago in 1977, and at present there are 700 member vehicles.

Asked about the likelihood of oil prices affecting passenger fares, Chamlong said that fares are fixed by the Department of Land Transport. If any passenger takes a songtaew and the trip is not worth it for the driver because of the lack of passengers to make up transport costs, the passenger will be transferred to a vehicle carrying more passengers and which is traveling the intended route at no additional charge.

Chamlong also said that foreign tourist fares are higher than normal fares because the value of the Thai baht and foreign currencies are different and that most tourist cities have the same pricing strategies. However, the fare differences are not that varied, the lowest maximum difference being 10 baht for short distances and the highest 20 baht over long distances.

Local and foreign passengers who believe they are being overcharged can submit complaints to the cooperative by calling 0 38423 554, and full action will be taken to preserve the good image of Pattaya tourism.

Source: Pattaya Mail

Chamlong also said that foreign tourist fares are higher than normal fares because the value of the Thai baht and foreign currencies are different and that most tourist cities have the same pricing strategies.

What A Load Of BULL! :o

Get rid of them, replace by proper busses (not like the pathetic attempt currently attempted) and proper meter taxis. Would improve the image of Pattaya 100% for most tourists.

Chamlong also said that foreign tourist fares are higher than normal fares because the value of the Thai baht and foreign currencies are different and that most tourist cities have the same pricing strategies.

So we pay in Pounds, Dollars or Euro ?

Can anyone name a country that charges more for 'foreigners' to use public transport (apart from Thailand)

Can anyone name a country that charges more for 'foreigners' to use public transport (apart from Thailand)

how about every cabbie in London :o

how about every cabbie in London :o

Don't they have meters?

Chamlong also said that foreign tourist fares are higher than normal fares because the value of the Thai baht and foreign currencies are different...

That’s why world currencies float. But then again I guess maybe Kuhn Chamlong figures he is better suited to make currency adjustments than the world currency markets?

...and that most tourist cities have the same pricing strategies.

:o:D:D

However, the fare differences are not that varied...

Double for the farang, not that varied?

... the good image of Pattaya tourism.

:D:D:D

As I understand everyone's concerns, for those of us that live in a more expensive countries - for example, Japan for me - it's a pleasure to pay 10 Baht for a ride. Here we have to pay well over 1000 baht for a 15 minute taxi ride so in comparison it's not too bad. And, there are more expensive cities than the one I live in. I realize that there is a two tiered pricing system between foriegners and locals and percentage wise it looks like a lot (100% more), but in reality it's peanuts. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that disagree with me. :o

Normally there are baht buses that come by every few minutes. I think it is a great system. The bus routes never worked and don't work now. I would expect the present bus system will quit service anytime. For short trips 10 baht is quite reasonable and from Jomtiem to Pattaya it is 20 baht. After paying $20 or $30 for a US taxi to go a short distance,it is quite a bargain. A farang does pay double but it is still quite cheap.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Taxi meter works fine in Bangkok, though it was tough to get them to actually use the meter, for years the standard welcoming message entering a cab was "meter broken, 100 baht ok?" but I think they got over it. The same thing could be the case in Pattaya.

Its ha Baht...5 bt........cinq bt.......fumpt bt......bram bt......nam bt.....Five baht......init ...

or has the prices offically gone UP......too many Carnegies in Patti nowadays... :o

If they offically make it 1000 dints for a roll round the circuit fine...as long as its for everyone...then we could all tip them another 1000 becuase ...well its cheap...init...

In Bangkok meter taxi drivers stand to lose their licence if tthey are caught not using the meter. WOuld you risk losing your livlihood or would you use the meter?

My problem wasn't the money but the aggressive attitude of the drivers.

For ages they would take the 5B no problems. It certainly never used to be a problem and then things began to change although I had no idea what bought this change about.

Tonight when I finish work in Nonthaburi, I'll get a Songthaew home. It will be 7B for me and 7B for everyone who gets on. The drivers take the cash with a smile and a quick word of thanks.

No problems! Just hope I don't have to hang off the back.

Here we go again.....

I have used the baht bus service for Donkey`s years in Patters and I have always paid the 10 baht fare....even to Jomtien...(where the 20 baht fare here comes from I don`t know).

It is probably the most efficient and cheapest combined taxi service in the world.

Yes the official fare is 5 baht....yes I pay 10 baht....which is peanuts......

I don`t get problems with aggressive drivers, but I get very good service and on the whole from polite people.

You know you can`t blame the baht bus official for making politics about the 10 baht fare and hinting that for longer journeys farangs should pay 20 baht more......that`s his job.

For the moaners I would say that one day you may have your lovely expensive busses which you so desire...or even metered taxis which you seem to love......and you will also have to pay many times the amount that you are currently paying for the same baht bus journey

Will we then hear on TV that these new services are too expensive and that the drivers are not quite so friendly and that you wish the old baht bus system was reinstalled??

If it ain`t broke don`t fix it....or you may live to pay much more for a less efficient service and then realise what you have lost.

Long Live the Baht Bus....and remember that the drivers have families and they have to feed them. :o

As I understand everyone's concerns, for those of us that live in a more expensive countries - for example, Japan for me - it's a pleasure to pay 10 Baht for a ride.

Pray tell, which bar is that...? :o

[quote

....and remember that the drivers have families and they have to feed them. :D

Easiest thing then is just to make everything in Thailand Double Price for foreigners.....

Newspapers,Beer,Water,Food,Hotels,Clothing,Electricity ,Gas,Petrol (yes like it... like it)Taxes,Airfares..etc.and of course those silly Visa things prices are way too low......

Could also have extra special charges for sitting on the beach,swimming in the South China Sea and maybe a fresh air /sunshine surcharge...not forgetting "le dooble" for walking in ...walking street...(makes sense...nowt for nowt)

Good heavens all the poor Thais need the dosh to send their kids to decent fee paying schools here in the UK...

Tourists will falling over themselves to visit the joint...... :o

[quote

....and remember that the drivers have families and they have to feed them. :D

Easiest thing then is just to make everything in Thailand Double Price for foreigners.....

Newspapers,Beer,Water,Food,Hotels,Clothing,Electricity ,Gas,Petrol (yes like it... like it)Taxes,Airfares..etc.and of course those silly Visa things prices are way too low......

Could also have extra special charges for sitting on the beach,swimming in the South China Sea and maybe a fresh air /sunshine surcharge...not forgetting "le dooble" for walking in ...walking street...(makes sense...nowt for nowt)

Good heavens all the poor Thais need the dosh to send their kids to decent fee paying schools here in the UK...

Tourists will falling over themselves to visit the joint...... :o

A little extreme don`t you think :D

We are merely talking about a 5 baht difference for a baht bus ride.

Go on tell me it`s the principle of the thing :D

I have never used one, been on the motocy many times and quite often a tuk tuk (Sriracha) but normally just drive my own car.

Tuky you don`t know what you have missed.....the open air thrill of the bus as it speeds you on your way....the plastic pull down sheets when it rains....the smile of the drivers.... the `toot toot` of the twin horns.....the aroma of spices floating through the air.... and if it`s full you can hang onto the rail at the back and travel standing up......all for a measly 10 baht :o

I have never used one, been on the motocy many times and quite often a tuk tuk (Sriracha) but normally just drive my own car.

Tuky you don`t know what you have missed.....the open air thrill of the bus as it speeds you on your way....the plastic pull down sheets when it rains....the smile of the drivers.... the `toot toot` of the twin horns.....the aroma of spices floating through the air.... and if it`s full you can hang onto the rail at the back and travel standing up......all for a measly 10 baht :D

Moto taxi's are pure pleasure - mind you me head is so big helmet barely fits. :o

Tuky you don`t know what you have missed.....the open air thrill of the bus as it speeds you on your way....the plastic pull down sheets when it rains....the smile of the drivers.... the `toot toot` of the twin horns.....the aroma of spices floating through the air.... and if it`s full you can hang onto the rail at the back and travel standing up......all for a measly 10 baht :D

I have often wondered how strong that back step is, hate to see 15 people hit the ground in front of my car due to poor stainless welds.

The rot gaba' that they use certainly don't need power steering though, as there is so much weight in the back that the front wheels must only be gracing the blacktop :o:D

I have often wondered how strong that back step is, hate to see 15 people hit the ground in front of my car due to poor stainless welds.

The rot gaba' that they use certainly don't need power steering though, as there is so much weight in the back that the front wheels must only be gracing the blacktop :o:D

Yep it saves on tyre wear :D

The current Baht Bus system is a great thing.

Tourists like the idea of trying something different. Why get a boring taxi or air con route bus when you can jump on and off a baht bus at all hours of the day 24/7?

Its part of the experience of LOS. Yes, the double pricing is irritating as a princial and I know it is the subject of much debate but when I think back to my first time in Thailand, the baht bus ride to Walking Street was the first time it really hit me that I was in SEA. Its a unique experience. I loved it and I still do.