Strange situation...

Hi,

I'm in a strange predicament, so I thought I'd reach out to the expertise of you lot. First, I’m British, I’m married to a Thai national. We both live and work in Miami, US.

Here is where it gets strange. We are both stationed on ships. As a result, we don’t have access to our passports, or have any time to visit an embassy/consulate.

When we leave the ship, at the end of our contract, we are given our passports, holiday pay in cash and our one way flight tickets home. Both of our tickets go to BKK.

We used to arrive, I would get 30-days on entry, and I’d do visa runs until we got flown back to our ship.

However, I know there have been some changes to the system recently. What visas are available, on entry at BKK? My vacation is 85 days.

Ideally I would be able to get a 90-day tourist visa.

At the moment I’m thinking the easiest way is to enter BKK, get whatever visa I can, then apply for a 90-day in Kuala Lumpur? (as this is where I normally get my visas).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

You should be able to get a 60 day extension from immigration to visit your wife.

I believe you can get it on a 30 day visa exemption entry, perhaps one with more experience can confirm.

Why don't you have access to your passports. It's illegal for the ships captain to keep your passport

It is illegal for them to hold our passports against our will, yes. However the ship cannot leave or enter territorial waters of the US (or other countries) without clearing an immigration process. For this process the ship needs to 'present' all passports to the authorities. And as we have 900 crew, and enter and leave US waters every other day... it is FAR easier for everyone for our passports to be held securly in a safe in the HR office.

Besides, even if I did have my passport in my hand... what could I do with it? I can't visit an embassy. And I can't post it as I wouldn't then be able to be on the ship...

Tom.

Edited by vexape
  • Like 2

You can get one 60 day extension on any entry to"visit your Thai family". You will need a TM7 form, copy of your passport pages and departure card, 1900 baht, wife's ID, House book and wife at your local immigration office.

Why don't you have access to your passports. It's illegal for the ships captain to keep your passport

It is illegal for them to hold our passports against our will, yes. However the ship cannot leave or enter territorial waters of the US (or other countries) without clearing an immigration process. For this process the ship needs to 'present' all passports to the authorities. And as we have 900 crew, and enter and leave US waters every other day... it is FAR easier for everyone for our passports to be held securly in a safe in the HR office.

Besides, even if I did have my passport in my hand... what could I do with it? I can't visit an embassy. And I can't post it as I wouldn't then be able to be on the ship...

Tom.

Doesn't England offer a second passport for exactly these kind of situations. I know Holland does. I used to have an extra one when I traveled a lot for work. One or the other passport was always at a certain consulate getting a visa processed for the next trip.

You can get one 60 day extension on any entry to"visit your Thai family". You will need a TM7 form, copy of your passport pages and departure card, 1900 baht, wife's ID, House book and wife at your local immigration office.

Thanks, so I could potentially extend the visa I would get on arrival at BKK? Happy to do that I possible.

Tom.

Doesn't England offer a second passport for exactly these kind of situations. I know Holland does. I used to have an extra one when I traveled a lot for work. One or the other passport was always at a certain consulate getting a visa processed for the next trip.

Yes you can obtain a second British passport. I have one myself.

OP you will need a letter from your company stating that due to your employment situation you require a second passport. It is a very simple process and can all be done via post.

I received mine around a year ago and if I recall correctly, all that was required was a copy of your original passport, two passport photos and the letter from your employer. You can also request the second passport to have more visa pages for frequent use. Mine has 50 visa pages I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Tom.

OP you will need a letter from your company stating that due to your employment situation you require a second passport. It is a very simple process and can all be done via post.

I received mine around a year ago and if I recall correctly, all that was required was a copy of your original passport, two passport photos and the letter from your employer. You can also request the second passport to have more visa pages for frequent use. Mine has 50 visa pages I believe.

best suggestion!

Since you will be entering on a regular basis and staying longer than 30 days I suggest you make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and obtain a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. This visa would give you 90 day entries for a year.

You will need your marriage certificate (plus copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's hours book and ID card. They do not ask for financial proof.

Tom.

Hi,

Yes, I think I will do this for future time saving. Unfortinately it's too late for this visit. As I leave the ship in 32 days. Or postage system is famously slow, so wouldn't want to risk it.

Will apply from my next ship! Thank you.

Cheers, Tom.

Since you will be entering on a regular basis and staying longer than 30 days I suggest you make a trip to Savannakhet Laos and obtain a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. This visa would give you 90 day entries for a year.

You will need your marriage certificate (plus copy), signed and dated copies of your wife's hours book and ID card. They do not ask for financial proof.

This certainly seems like the best and most sensible long term option. And the not asking for financial proof is certianly a bonus as all of our assets are in US/UK accounts.

On this Non-O can I 'bolt-on' a work permit? I've been asked by a few universities to lecture. Would need a work permit.

Thanks again all!

Tom.

You can get a work permit with a non-o visa based upon marriage. If you started working and were getting paid 40k baht or more you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage using tax payments to prove your income.

I have also looked into the second US passport. I also need mine at all times. The US version is only good for two years. One also must mail in the original passport, which is not an option for me. The only other solution appears to be make a reservation for appearance at the Passport Agency.

Just come in on a 30 day visa exempt. At the end of that, go to immigration with your wife, as stated above, and obtain a 60 day extension. This is what I do on all my stays.

As for the 2nd passport, I was just informed about this in Liverpool passport office in May. I will do this next year, so my 2 passports are staggered slightly on expiry.

You could also get the Non O multi while you are back this time ??

Just come in on a 30 day visa exempt. At the end of that, go to immigration with your wife, as stated above, and obtain a 60 day extension. This is what I do on all my stays.

As for the 2nd passport, I was just informed about this in Liverpool passport office in May. I will do this next year, so my 2 passports are staggered slightly on expiry.

You could also get the Non O multi while you are back this time ??

Yes, I think the plan is to get my 30-day on arrival at BKK and then during that period travel to Laos to get a Non-O (Marriage) visa. This isn't too far from where we keep our car in Udon Thani, so we can just drive to the border and get it done.

Also, in my head at least, having the Non-O (Marrige) visa in my passport will look good for future UK/US visa application for my wife. So added bonus.

Will also be applying for secondary passport, by post, once I get on my next ship. Unless this can be done easily and quickly at the British Embassy in Bangkok?

Tom.

Edited by vexape