Where To By A Suit, Bkk

khunAus

Edit: it should read buy not by, but i cannot seem to edit the title :o

Hello

Just looking for any info on where the better tailors suit makers are in Bkk region. I know of Khao San road and also the sukumvit, but was wondering if these were the best places to go. I know many cater to the tourists and maybe have marked up prices, but i really do not know so i thought i would ask.

Thanks

Edited by khunAus

I been to a few tailors, my fiancee's dad recomended me one in pantip plaza, he is on either the second or 3rd floor.

And he has been the best tailor i have ever been too.

The ones in MBK are rubbish. I know alot of embassadors (spelling) go to this one in pantip plaza. Highly recommended

I got one word for you all: PINKY!

Pinky is an Indian guy who has a tailor shop, Pinky Tailor, close to Phloen Chit BTS.

The shop is at the very back of Mahatun Plaza. From the BTS station you can see the King Power Duty Free shop, walk past the shop from it's left side and all the way back to the "Plaza" (looks more like a car park) and there is Pinky Tailor.

Suits range 4000b - 60 000b. 10 000b gets you a good one.

Shirts: 800b - 1500b

Extra pants from 1500b up

I have had many suits done here, a lot of embassy staff and business expats use this place.

It doesn't advertise, word-of-mouth does the job, nor it doesn't have those BS "Armani, Hugo Boss, Versace" stickers on the windows.

Go, buy, fall in love! (..with the suits I mean...) :o

Pinky is an Indian guy who has a tailor shop, Pinky Tailor, close to Phloen Chit BTS.

The shop is at the very back of Mahatun Plaza. From the BTS station you can see the King Power Duty Free shop, walk past the shop from it's left side and all the way back to the "Plaza" (looks more like a car park) and there is Pinky Tailor.

I have had many suits done here, a lot of embassy staff and business expats use this place.

It doesn't advertise, word-of-mouth does the job, nor it doesn't have those BS "Armani, Hugo Boss, Versace" stickers on the windows.

Ive heard of that place, and people have told me that was also a good place.

Next time i will try that place too

Did you ever wonder why there are so many Tailors in Bangkok?

They all make money, that's why.

Almost zero opening / operating costs.

All that fabric is put there on consignment by the textile company.

They start making payments toward the material after 6 months in business.

The guys doing all the selling are on commission, just taking measurments, trying to upgrade.

They are not Tailors. Just smooth talkers in funny hats.

The most he has into that suit is 1,500bht.

They have kids sewing them together for about 300bt per suit.

Anything over 1,500 is the profit.

Not in pontip Plaza, the man measures cuts and sews it all himself.

The work he does is very high quality and I have bough a few off him.

Once I rang him on my second last day in Thailand to do me another shirt (as he had my measurements) he did it and met me at the airport to deliver it himself, I paid him very well for his great service.

the rule of thumb is if they have a spruiker out front they are no good.

I took my sister to the tailor between the emporium and soi 22 - I forget the name - she had 2jackets , 1 pants , and 2 skirts + about 4 shirts for about 12k. She was quite happy with the result . the full deal took about 5-6 days with 3 measument/fittings in the process.

also , do a search of this sub forum as it has been discussed a couple of times before and you will find some other recommendations.

I can only comment on this guys shirts and trousers as i have had around a dozen pairs of trousers made by him and well over 40 shirts. He is first class and if you choose the better quality materials you can get a service that will rival any tailor in London. :D

If you are over there during Thailand New Year, go to Thai Factory. The absolute best. Its only during this time of year that they are open to the public. Once you purchase from them you become a member and can have one suit made a year for you. Real Madrid FC has had their suits made there along with many other celebrities.

I found Manhattan tailors on Rama IV excellent for selection. A lot of the tailors have very small shops with minimal selection. Manhattan Tailors is three stories and very large. They also have leather products and can make shoes, bags, wallets etc. Once they have your size you can also phone, email through an order and they will mail it out to you.

Raja's on Soi Nana 4 (turn left as you come out of Nana Plaza :o and they're right next door). My boss and most senior folks at my work have used them for years. Seems to be very popular with US Embassy personnel too. I've had a couple of suits and many shirts made there and the workmanship is good, fit is spot on too. They'll bill you in THB, USD, GBP, depending what you prefer. Ask for Bobby.

Reminds me, I must go and get some new shirts tomorrow ...... :D

Edited by Captain Chaos

aw right, aw right...having the muthuh cut and sewn is one thing...what about the selection of fabrics in BKK?...real nice for white dress shirts and a nice poplin or tropical worsted for a suit?...how about a nice bleached linen number?...could do that one with a panama hat for the Graham Greene look...(walkin' down Sukhumvit inna rumpled linen suit an' panama hat an' folks are laughin' at the spectacle...in anger I shout 'he was almost a Nobel Laureate you azzholes!!!')

seriously folks...do the recommended tailors have good fabrics available or do you have to find them separately then have them sewn?...some brits that I know buy the thread in the UK (superior quality and selection) and have it cut and sewn elsewhere...

meself, I could do with a light poplin coat and trousers and a worsted tropical weight charcoal for formal occasions...cut on a Brooks Brothers pattern...

• 2 months later...

I'm a huge fan of Crown Tailor on Sukhumvit soi 8. THe guy has an incredible reputation and is reputed to never forget a customer. I know of people who've bought a shirt there and when he returned 4 years later the owner still remember his name and what he purchased!

Really awesome service and quality!

www.crowntailor.com as it says on the business card.

• 4 months later...
If you are over there during Thailand New Year, go to Thai Factory. The absolute best. Its only during this time of year that they are open to the public. Once you purchase from them you become a member and can have one suit made a year for you. Real Madrid FC has had their suits made there along with many other celebrities.

I found Manhattan tailors on Rama IV excellent for selection. A lot of the tailors have very small shops with minimal selection. Manhattan Tailors is three stories and very large. They also have leather products and can make shoes, bags, wallets etc. Once they have your size you can also phone, email through an order and they will mail it out to you.

Just do yourself 1 favour - stay away from Manhattan Tailors - they're a bunch of pushy salesman who promise the world to get your money. They insist you pay the full amount before the suit is made and now i know why!! I had 1 rushed fitting and the suit was promised to be delivered to my hotel 3 days later by 11am since i had a plane to catch.

No suit arrived - i called them and asked where it was. They lied and said the suit had been delivered to my hotel reception. I checked with hotel reception and alas, the suit was not there. I called back and they said, "oh, sorry, they were mistaken, its on the way now".

Anyway it arrived an hour and half later (obviously a rush job because they had forgotten about it). Poor quality stitching, pants too short and the suit was wet and frizzled. There were still pencil lines all over it on it that the tailor had forgotten to erase!!!

A Thai lady recommended this place to me, but now I'm certain it was a setup. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money elsewhere on a decent suit with REAL material and quality finishings.

At the worst, you'll be glad you stayed away from the pushy salesman :o .