Thai assistant teacher in English classes?

BAYBOY

Until recently, most Thai university students didn't have regular access to native English speakers.

Most Thai assistants have English degrees, it is hardly their fault they were not able to have access to English speakers.

ok..but a if someone has a PhD in English, that implies that they are at the HIGHEST educational level someone can get in a certain field....if they cannot string together a few sentences than that in itself proves the fact that the degree isn't worth a dime....or at least the institution's standards on what sort of qualifications someone needs to have to earn such a degree is seriously lacking....

if someone really qualified as a PhD, you would think that their knowledge would match up with the piece of paper given to them after completing all the requirements for said diploma...right?

it would be the same as saying someone with a doctorate degree in mathematics that can't calculate the square root of sixty-four....

I agree that it might not be their (PhD students) fault that they haven't had the access to Native English speakers, so blame it on the educational establishment that formulates the criteria for earning such a degree...degrees aren't given out like party favors, someone should show they are capable and worthy of earning such a thing....

at the end of the day,

if you aquire a professional degree in a field, I would certainly hope that the your level of expertise in the subject would match what you were given on a piece of paper.....so if a degree is given out without any sort of proficiency on behalf of the candidate in said field, then yes, the degree isn't worth much at all is it?

Thais with English degrees can actually do more than string sentences together, when writing. But this is a much different thing than being able to speak and understand.

so if you cannot speak and understand...(listening and speaking skills) then the qualifications for an English Degree aren't really there anyway... its good that they can read and write, but mastering a language is a multi faceted endeavor in which speaking and understanding are critical points, no matter WHERE you are in the world

My point was simply that you would expect anyone anywhere with a "degree" in English to be able to at least understand and speak with some level of proficiency, if they cannot do that then case in point, the english degree doesn't really stand for much does it?

No one said anyone has to be a great English or even attempt to learn it, but if you have a piece of paper that says you have spent four or more years trying to master a certain subject (any subject at all), then yes, you should be able to not only read and write, but carry on a conversation to some extent as well

First, I'm not sure how we got to the idea that assistants often cannot even string a sentence together. But this is incorrect. I have had 10 or 12 and every one of them were able to speak English quite well. There may be a few who struggle, but that is certainly the minority of them. (I know this was not part of your response, but I wanted to put it out there)

Now, about the expectations of someone with an English degree. Now a days, people who graduate from University with an English degree can generally speak English well. I think this thing about people graduating and not being able to speak English well is 1) based on people who graduated before native English speakers were common, or 2) another case of the condescending attitude many Farang have toward Thais. For reason 1, I can only say if Thailand had not graduated people with English degrees before there were native English speakers to help them learn to speak, our job as teachers now would have been much much more difficult. For reason 2, what can I say? Some Farang here are just jerks, they were jerks before they came here and they are still jerks.

I'm teaching MEP at an agricultural college. I'm the only foreigner so I'm more of a help teacher in 6 subjects with a Thai teacher teaching the subject and I give the vocabulary and technical terms in English. It's actually a real hell in some classes like Agricultural Science, Anatomy and Physiology of domestic animals and so on... I'm must study about every subject so I know what I'm teaching the students.

But what I find hardest is that the students can't remember or put 2 and 2 together. They have study about the cell structure and about the genetics in 3 different subjects so far this semester and still don't know/remember about the mitochondria, chromosome and DNA! These students are already 18+ and studies in PWS (already passed M6.)

For the easy part of English they know and understand "How are you?" and "today" separate but put them together "How are you today?" and I get "Beva arai teacher?" back from the students.

Edited by Kasset Tak

Just another example that Thai degrees arent worth a ****

That is a useless remark.

Until recently, most Thai university students didn't have regular access to native English speakers.

Most Thai assistants have English degrees, it is hardly their fault they were not able to have access to English speakers.

ok..but a if someone has a PhD in English, that implies that they are at the HIGHEST educational level someone can get in a certain field....if they cannot string together a few sentences than that in itself proves the fact that the degree isn't worth a dime....or at least the institution's standards on what sort of qualifications someone needs to have to earn such a degree is seriously lacking....

if someone really qualified as a PhD, you would think that their knowledge would match up with the piece of paper given to them after completing all the requirements for said diploma...right?

it would be the same as saying someone with a doctorate degree in mathematics that can't calculate the square root of sixty-four....

I agree that it might not be their (PhD students) fault that they haven't had the access to Native English speakers, so blame it on the educational establishment that formulates the criteria for earning such a degree...degrees aren't given out like party favors, someone should show they are capable and worthy of earning such a thing....

at the end of the day,

if you aquire a professional degree in a field, I would certainly hope that the your level of expertise in the subject would match what you were given on a piece of paper.....so if a degree is given out without any sort of proficiency on behalf of the candidate in said field, then yes, the degree isn't worth much at all is it?

I can see you have not taught English to many if any high school or older students.

Thais with English degrees can actually do more than string sentences together, when writing. But this is a much different thing than being able to speak and understand.

I see it all the time; students as young as 12 years old who can read and write English very well, but have little or no listening and speaking skills.

Many Thai teachers still lingering around Mathayom and universities learned English long before seeing our white faces around the school became a regular thing. They learned to read and write quite well and do a very good job with the resources they have teaching Thai students the same skills.

I understand where you are coming from. When I first came here I worked in a government school and could not believe how few of the English teachers could carry on a conversation. But, over time, I came to understand the reality of the situation instead of criticizing it.

In all fairness, please look at so many foreigners. living and working here for a long time, who can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

And there're people here for more than 15 years, without any command of the country's language they're living in.

Why did those NOT pick up some basic Thai to have a basic conversation????

Once some of them can say Sawasdee khrap/ka, they're telling people that they can speak Thai. facepalm.gif

I can get my way around, order food, visit the hospital and so on. And if people say that I can speak Thai I just say "mai chai chan pod Thai dai lit noi".

Just another example that Thai degrees arent worth a ****

That is a useless remark.

at the end of the day,

I can see you have not taught English to many if any high school or older students.

I see it all the time; students as young as 12 years old who can read and write English very well, but have little or no listening and speaking skills.

Many Thai teachers still lingering around Mathayom and universities learned English long before seeing our white faces around the school became a regular thing. They learned to read and write quite well and do a very good job with the resources they have teaching Thai students the same skills.

I understand where you are coming from. When I first came here I worked in a government school and could not believe how few of the English teachers could carry on a conversation. But, over time, I came to understand the reality of the situation instead of criticizing it.

In all fairness, please look at so many foreigners. living and working here for a long time, who can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

And there're people here for more than 15 years, without any command of the country's language they're living in.

Why did those NOT pick up some basic Thai to have a basic conversation????

Once some of them can say Sawasdee khrap/ka, they're telling people that they can speak Thai. facepalm.gif

I can get my way around, order food, visit the hospital and so on. And if people say that I can speak Thai I just say "mai chai chan pod Thai dai lit noi".

or for those of us who live in Isan, it might be more fitting to say "baw maen, khoi wao Lao dai Noi Neung :)

Now, about the expectations of someone with an English degree. Now a days, people who graduate from University with an English degree can generally speak English well. I think this thing about people graduating and not being able to speak English well is 1) based on people who graduated before native English speakers were common, or 2) another case of the condescending attitude many Farang have toward Thais. For reason 1, I can only say if Thailand had not graduated people with English degrees before there were native English speakers to help them learn to speak, our job as teachers now would have been much much more difficult. For reason 2, what can I say? Some Farang here are just jerks, they were jerks before they came here and they are still jerks.

Strange people now a days. Would you consider yourself to fit in the last category?

Many of the teachers could speak English when they graduated, or at least significantly more than they can now. However, if they don't practice their English regularly then they lose confidence and slowly "forget" how to speak.

E.g. My wife spoke excellent English, even before I met her as she completed the AUA course. However, one of her friends, who finished the course 2 years prior has very poor English by comparison as she only rarely uses it.

It's often the same for Thai teachers. Although depending on where they studied and their actual interest in English, their speaking ability can vary greatly, even as recent graduates.

In answer to the OP's original question:

I had an assistant teacher when I was teaching P1-6 but they usually just chilled out at the back, then if I wanted something complicated explained (e.g. Instructions for a activity) I'd get her to help.

At the high school I taught at I never had an assistant teacher, and never had any problems except when occasionally explaining activities or administrative features (e.g. Although if I needed, I could usually just explain it in Thai instead, but this was usually only required for the bottom classes)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I’ve experienced a similar phenomenal. I grew up in a bilingual environment, using English and German from early childhood on. I had to use both languages on daily basis, when still in Europe and being pretty good in both languages, as I did translations for the American Armed Forces.

After living in Thailand and also learning quite a few words in Thai, I sometimes know the German word I’m trying to say only in English and in Thai, and need a long time to reinforce it.

Then when on the phone, speaking German to friends and relatives, telling me that now I speak German with American accent, as I’m seldom using German nowadays.

Found my own way to get my German skills back, by using the net. Many Thais who’re teaching English do not have the chance to communicate much in English.

When do Thasi have to speak English in their own country, besides when teaching the language? In the beer bars all around the country a must.

You’re only efficient in a language, if you can “think” in the language, you’re speaking. Or trying to speak.-facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai