Sell a car with Government rebate paid

I bought new for cash September 2012 in my Thai wife's name a Mazda 2 Sedan with 100,000 baht rebate from government (we have been paid).

We understood the car could not be sold for 5 years but have just heard it is possible to sell providing the rebate is returned to the government.

Is this true, and if so what is the correct procedure please (assuming we can find a buyer)?

Yes, it's true.

First you need to visit the excise tax dept. and pay it back. Next you visit the DLT with the paperwork the Excise dept. gave you, and they will remove the limitation of transfer in the blue book.

I would like to know will their be a raft of cheap cars hitting the market when the 4/5 years is up?

ie,the depreciation of the car plus the discount from the govt should make for some attractively priced cars

or his being Thailand will the sellers see the discount as a profit for their pocket and disregard it when pricing the vehicle?

there is already a glut of these cars as many people could not keep up payments .. the marketplace is adjusting now,,,shame yours will no longer be cheap as.100,000 payback before you can sell..better drive it for a while longer i think

• Like 1

Sale it to someone who not cares who is in the owners book!

Just let your wife write and sign, a contract with the buyer, take the money.

After the 5 year period legalize than the ownership and change the name in the owners book accordingly.

A decade+ ago, many Falang bought in that way motorbikes and cars in the Phuket area, as it was nearly impossible to get a ownership with a Tourist Visa alone.

Just sold my old Honda CBR Fireblade 400 RR motorbike to a Thai, my EX GF, no good connection with her, is still in the green book. For reasons, see above.

The Thai accepted. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

there is already a glut of these cars as many people could not keep up payments .. the marketplace is adjusting now,,,shame yours will no longer be cheap as.100,000 payback before you can sell..better drive it for a while longer i think

have to agree -the net benefit of selling it right now would be quite low compared to 5 years time when you can keep the rebate.

I would like to know will their be a raft of cheap cars hitting the market when the 4/5 years is up?

ie,the depreciation of the car plus the discount from the govt should make for some attractively priced cars

or his being Thailand will the sellers see the discount as a profit for their pocket and disregard it when pricing the vehicle?

Absolutely. Used car market crash phase 2 coming in 4 years.

I don't think the fact that a car has had a rebate paid to a previous owner, will make it any cheaper in 4 years' time. Only the glut of the care on the market will cause that.

Right, it's coming glut from all those buyers who wanted to exit, but couldn't..

Interesting, what happens to the repossessed cars, that are starting to fill stockpiles now. Additional debt for the first time buyer to reimburse the tax authoroties?

If the repossesser (sp?) wants to sell them, they have to pay out the excise rebate. Net effect = the original borrower is now in the red even more.

seems like you already answered your own question....TiT

A good, legally correct solution would be to lease the car. Suppose you want to sell for 40% of the original price you could ask for a lump sum of 25% and 3 yearly payments of 5%. Then, after the third year, the lease contractually converts into ownership.

PM me if you are interested to pursue such construction. I am just about to consider an offer like this but do not like the car.

Surely the prices will depend on what the market will bear - why should any discount be carried forward ? Would be the same in any country - i.e. those that subsidised trade-in of older less efficient vehicles.