Being Muslim and Gay in Thailand

deknoiJT

There are five verses in the Koran against homosexual conduct and none in favour, so how can a Muslim obey the Koran and be gay? You cannot 'interpret' the Koran as it is the word of god according to Muslims and cannot be altered.

It's easier than you think. Just reject FUNDAMENTALISM. That advice works for most any religion including Islam. Of course, giving up on the whole religious fairy tale thing would be even better ... baby steps.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget fundamentalism, can you name one respected Imam who condones homosexuality? the penalty for it is death in some Islamic states. Better just to reject religion rather than to pretend it's something it is not.

There are five verses in the Koran against homosexual conduct and none in favour, so how can a Muslim obey the Koran and be gay? You cannot 'interpret' the Koran as it is the word of god according to Muslims and cannot be altered.

fact is that for each sura hundreds of different interpretations exist.

No that's not a fact it's a myth perpetrated by Islamic apologists, especially for the more than 100 suras that call for violence, usually against the unbeliever.

Hadith is not myth, there are thousands with varying interpretation of the Koran and Islamic jurisprudence. Some support extreme views, some do not.

There are many verses in the Koran that exhort not to kill, I believe the common description is 'Sword verses' and 'Peace' verses

• Like 1

No that's not a fact it's a myth perpetrated by Islamic apologists, especially for the more than 100 suras that call for violence, usually against the unbeliever.

Hadith is not myth, there are thousands with varying interpretation of the Koran and Islamic jurisprudence. Some support extreme views, some do not.

There are many verses in the Koran that exhort not to kill, I believe the common description is 'Sword verses' and 'Peace' verses

One of the issues with the Koran is that it's not in a logical order. The chapters (sura) are in order of their length, not chronology.

During his early days in Mecca Mohammed preached love and tolerance. That managed to attract a couple of dozen followers. Not a huge success.

He then fled to Medina and became a brutal warlord who attacked caravans, slaughtered all the men and boys from a Jewish village that would not accept him as one of their prophets, and was pretty much permanently in battle with one group or another over decades.

It is the organisation of the Koran that clouds this progression in his beliefs, but undoubtedly he renounced his earlier, peaceful beliefs in favour of death to those who wouldn't pay punitive taxes or convert to Islam.

People who claim Islam is a religion of peace are simply ignoring (or lying about) the true nature of Mohammed's teachings, cherry picking the teachings from his Mecca period and ignoring the later Medina teachings.

You need to lighten up. Do Christians really believe the Noah and the flood story?

My relationship with my God is what I choose it to be. I can interpret the Koran any way I wish, that is why entire institutions have been set up to study and interpret the Koran. There is no singular agreement.

As for these mysterious five verses against being Gay? Nonsense.

Once again, this is about the tolerance I find in Thai society to my way of life.

I thank you Sir for once more proving my point of Western intolerance towards being Gay and Muslim.

• Like 1

You need to lighten up. Do Christians really believe the Noah and the flood story?

My relationship with my God is what I choose it to be. I can interpret the Koran any way I wish, that is why entire institutions have been set up to study and interpret the Koran. There is no singular agreement.

As for these mysterious five verses against being Gay? Nonsense.

Once again, this is about the tolerance I find in Thai society to my way of life.

I thank you Sir for once more proving my point of Western intolerance towards being Gay and Muslim.

Interestingly enough, there is a lot of evidence that the flood actually took place. The Noah story is just a symbolic version of how people survived it, and certainly does not have to be believed verbatim.

Your topic, deknoi, was about being gay AND Muslim. Yet many posters have neglected the gay part, and chosen this place as somewhere to spew their venom against Islam, which is really off topic.

Friends of mine have converted to Islam, and I know several other Muslims who are wonderful people, friendly and willing to help anybody whatever their creed. Pope Francis, who is nobody's fool, took a Muslim with him to visit Jerusalem, and invited a Muslim and a Jew back to the Vatican.

As I write, Sunnis and Shias are battling it out in Syria and Iraq, and Jews and Muslims are at war (or near it) in Gaza. We all of us need to learn tolerance for beliefs which differ from our own. Just as we gays ask for tolerance from others. In Thailand, apart from a few bigoted Westerners, we get it.

Edited by isanbirder
  • Like 1