Being Muslim and Gay in Thailand

deknoiJT

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dump your childish beliefs in the supernatural and embrace non-belief. And bacon is delicious by the way!

As an atheist, I am with you on this although one shouldn't each too much bacon. Focus on healthy fats instead like avocado, almonds, and olive oil. However, I don't think religious people welcome being confronted and insulted any more than atheists welcome rude evangelists. Freedom of religion should OF COURSE include freedom of NO RELIGION!

I certainly understand those brights, like yourself, who take this position; and I'm sure it's true that we could attract more of these religious flies to non-belief with sweet words of honey rather than mocking words of vinegar but it's not my nature. I kinda take Sam Harris' position that it is necessary to confront religious people with the logical fallacies and contradictions in both their beliefs and religious texts. The squishy "moderates" of these religious cults have little influence within their communities and it's the extremes that make and pressure governments and politicians to enact their religious dogmas as public policy. This can no longer be tolerated in silence and needs to be actively confronted, opposed, and if necessary repressed.

Dump your childish beliefs in the supernatural and embrace non-belief. And bacon is delicious by the way!

As an atheist, I am with you on this although one shouldn't each too much bacon. Focus on healthy fats instead like avocado, almonds, and olive oil. However, I don't think religious people welcome being confronted and insulted any more than atheists welcome rude evangelists. Freedom of religion should OF COURSE include freedom of NO RELIGION!

slightly off topic... quite often i have read postings in which TV-members claim to be "atheists". not once the expression agnostic was used. that's why my specific question to you JT "are you an atheist or agnostic?"

I consider myself non-dogmatic atheist.

I think religion is part of human nature to make death more acceptable and as a powerful tool of social control, but the more intellectually advanced of us modern people can overcome that weakness. I have no personal problem with TOLERANT religious people and also agnostics. Agnostics are similar to bisexuals in a way, don't you think?

From 4:00

I think part of the problem is definitional; I would like to say I'm an atheist but I can't prove a negative so technically I'm an agnostic. However, I have no problem telling people I'm an atheist. If there actually is some creative force active in the universe that would be cool...but if there is, why should it only be apparent after death?

I'm not sure I'm really getting your bisexual analogy? Are you saying there aren't real bisexuals and that they are really confused or too embarrassed to come out as completely gay? So you're saying agnostics are just reluctant, for societal pressure reasons, to say they're atheists?

what about dumping dumb opinions presented by irrelevant and childish remarks? huh.png

What is this obsession some people have with Muslims and Pork!!!?

I am reminded of a story from many years past. A university pal of mine was dating his childhood sweetheart. She was a truly sweet and innocent country gal. On occasion, my pal behaved abominably towards her. The belittlements and bullying always centred around meat.

For you see, the sweet and innocent country gal was a vergetarian. Oh, the apparent crime of choosing not to eat meat!

When we ate out for dinner as a group or at each other's house, he would inevitably order a meat dish of some sort. Steak was usually somewhere in the frame. At these times my pal always had the need to tell his girlfriend how good meat tasted, even holding the meat up to her face with his fork and making 'yum yum yum' sound effects, telling her she was missing out on this great tasting food.

Why was my pal so threatened by a vegetarian? His GF accepted his meat eating, why could he not accept her vegetarianism?

Whenever I hear the 'Pork' comment I am reminded of this story. Why do the actions of others bother some people so very very much?

Dude it was a joke and meant to point out your silly dietary rules. (There is a theory that proscribed meats in various religions came about to combat a reversion back to cannibalism among adherents as said meats have a taste similar to human flesh.) I don't give a whit what you, or anyone else, chooses to eat. It's just funny to point out all the silliness in religious beliefs...like why do you Muslims also hate dogs? Was Mohamed chased down the block and bitten by a dog in his street preaching days...did a dog once pee on a Quran...what?

regarding "and of course you will submit a bundle of scientific evidence to prove your claim. we are waiting.": can't prove a negative, like can't prove tooth fairy doesn't exist. It is up to those who assert there is such a thing as god to offer proof, and we have been waiting a long long time for that.

Seems to me that if one were to believe in one of those Abrahamic religions, it would require being all in or nothing. Ignoring certain clearly awful prohibitions, punishments etc negates idea of being a true Muslim, Christian or Jew. I don't recall any of the so-called prophets advocating "Well, if you don't like this strict version, we now have Islam lite ". Like Kesey said "You're either on the bus or off the bus". Go to Iran (or any number of Muslim dominated countries) and announce you are gay and Muslim. I doubt if they will be compassionate and merciful.

Was Mohamed chased down the block and bitten by a dog in his street preaching days...did a dog once pee on a Quran...what?

The Islamic hatred of dogs has a far more rational reason: it's because angels won't enter a house with a dog in it. Not sure why he had a particular hatred of black ones, though, ordering that they should all be killed. (Abu Dawud #2839, Muslim #3813)

Certainly a dog didn't pee on a Koran during Mohammed's day. He was illiterate, and the Koran was only written down about 300 years after his death. Indeed, there's some speculation that he didn't exist at all, but is purely a propaganda figure dreamed up at the time for political reasons.

• Like 1

Feel better name calling someone's beliefs childish ?

I'm glad you like pigs but somehow I don't think the OP's diet is our concern.

The gay thing is great but the religious thing is just whack! If the op had any reasoning skills, you would think he might notice the contradiction in his own personal situation. Every major Muslim religious authority in the world has declared that Allah has told them there is no such thing as "gay." Our nice "Muslim" op has said he's gay (and I'm assuming this his lived experience and not some theoretical construct). So what is the more authentic and real experience and deserving of belief?

The gay thing is great but the religious thing is just whack!

i bow to your infinite wisdom dear Sir coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Why should there be freedom of religion? Teaching children when they're most impressionable that there's some sky wizard who meddles in their lives and hates them if they love someone of the same sex is nothing short of child abuse.

There is no god. There never has been any evidence of a god or gods. People who believe otherwise are simply deluding themselves. And I believe it's the responsibility of those who understand this to challenge the beliefs of followers of the invisible (and non-existent) puppet master, even though this may cause some offence. So to write "dump your childish beliefs in the supernatural and embrace non-belief" is a kindness, wanting to encourage someone to question what they believe, but is ultimately a societal lie.

and of course you will submit a bundle of scientific evidence to prove your claim. we are waiting... coffee1.gif

I submit the whole body of scientific thought and investigation since at least Galileo. None of which has pointed to any supernatural force acting upon or in the universe. What's your evidence to the contrary?

i did not make any unsubstantiated claims therefore no need to submit any evidence.

Feel better name calling someone's beliefs childish ?

I'm glad you like pigs but somehow I don't think the OP's diet is our concern.

The gay thing is great but the religious thing is just whack! If the op had any reasoning skills, you would think he might notice the contradiction in his own personal situation. Every major Muslim religious authority in the world has declared that Allah has told them there is no such thing as "gay." Our nice "Muslim" op has said he's gay (and I'm assuming this his lived experience and not some theoretical construct). So what is the more authentic and real experience and deserving of belief?

Sir, you need to concern yourself more with your own views and interpretations of life and worry less about what 'others' think.

"South African Muhsin Hendricks is an Islamic cleric and a gay man.

He runs a foundation called The Inner Circle, which helps Muslims, who are struggling to accept their sexuality. He has come to the Netherlands to spread a simple message: “It’s okay to be Muslim and gay!”

Muhsin Hendricks looks a little tired. He is in the Netherlands at the invitation of the Amsterdam branch of gay rights organisation COC and he’s on a punishing schedule. There is enormous public interest in the “pink imam”, as he’s been dubbed.

Sin

But every trace of fatigue vanishes as Mushin Hendricks talks about his faith and his sexuality."

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/gay-imam-spreads-message-homosexuality-not-sinful

Edited by deknoiJT

Dude it was a joke and meant to point out your silly dietary rules. (There is a theory that proscribed meats in various religions came about to combat a reversion back to cannibalism among adherents as said meats have a taste similar to human flesh.) I don't give a whit what you, or anyone else, chooses to eat. It's just funny to point out all the silliness in religious beliefs...like why do you Muslims also hate dogs? Was Mohamed chased down the block and bitten by a dog in his street preaching days...did a dog once pee on a Quran...what?

I do not accept you made the pork comment in good taste or as a humorous anecdotes. What is 'silly' to you is not silly to others.

Bigots and bullies like to make snarky verbal attacks like these then when called out on the matter say 'oh I was joking'.

Sorry dude, that dog don't hunt here.

As Jules, from Pulp Fiction liked to say "I avoid eating the flesh of an animal who does not have the good sense to avoid its own feces".

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

what about dumping dumb opinions presented by irrelevant and childish remarks? huh.png

What is this obsession some people have with Muslims and Pork!!!?

I am reminded of a story from many years past. A university pal of mine was dating his childhood sweetheart. She was a truly sweet and innocent country gal. On occasion, my pal behaved abominably towards her. The belittlements and bullying always centred around meat.

For you see, the sweet and innocent country gal was a vergetarian. Oh, the apparent crime of choosing not to eat meat!

When we ate out for dinner as a group or at each other's house, he would inevitably order a meat dish of some sort. Steak was usually somewhere in the frame. At these times my pal always had the need to tell his girlfriend how good meat tasted, even holding the meat up to her face with his fork and making 'yum yum yum' sound effects, telling her she was missing out on this great tasting food.

Why was my pal so threatened by a vegetarian? His GF accepted his meat eating, why could he not accept her vegetarianism?

Whenever I hear the 'Pork' comment I am reminded of this story. Why do the actions of others bother some people so very very much?

Because those people are not comfortable in their own skin, perhaps?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Let them get on with it - I say. If they were not in to religion then they would be in to something else. Folk with spare time will seek to fill it, one way or another, so in some circumstances it's better to follow a religion - as long as it's a peaceful pursuit !

I'm a " Jovo Bystander " myself - I see all and whiteness f**kall !

As I understand the OP is talking to his experience of Thailand as a gay Muslim. The references to a small minority of Muslims overseas has very little relevance to the practice of Islam by Thai Muslims.

Living within a Thai Sunni Muslim community for four years, not once did I observe the issues posted by AyG other than Muslims consider Mohammed as the last messenger of God.

I believe it is correct that Thai Muslims in the deep South overall under perform educationally, but only by a small percentile, probably higher numbers in the more remote areas. From the URL below:

Access to education remains unhindered with students flocking daily to schools and universities, although Thai remains the only official language of instruction – a major point of grievance for the majority Malay-speaking population.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/thailands-deep-south-living-in-conflict/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Moved to Gay Forum.

Why have you moved this to the Gay Forum? I am offended.

This is NOT a Gay issue, this is a discussion of tolerance in Thai society.

Really! This is what my post is all about. Being pigeon-holed as a 'Gay' or 'Muslim' by Westerners! You have pigeon holed me again by making this a Gay issue.

Just because I am gay, that does not mean I want all my discussions and postings to be universally placed in the Gay Forum. I encourage wide views and opinions.

Please move this back to General where it is most appropriate.

I actualy thought that, totaly out of order i think

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but relevant in the whole schem of things. We seem to have a few intellectuals on this thread - judging by the writing ( I know it's early, my bars open already ) - but I am just wondering if anyone else has actually read the book " Human Givens " written by some very clever folk. I've been meaning to finish it because I've had it some years already, but never did quite read the last chapter or two! I think I understood most of it anyway, by the time I had got to the last couple of chapters. I'm not very clever and had to read most of it twice ( many big words etc ) - but I am interested to know if anyone else has actually read this book ? A very good book BTW which puts most things in to context !

On the gay Muslim in Thailand topic, I have a question. I find gay Thai Muslims appealing. I relate to them being a minority group in Thailand. I think they've been dealt a hard hand by the Thai majority. I used to relate better to other minority groups in the USA so I haven't changed that way. I like that they are CUT like me ... I think cut is best for all, so clean and elegant without that extra floppy stuff. But I wonder about the political feelings of gay Thai Muslims towards gay Jews, Israelis, etc. Would there be any expectation of political bias from them due to the thorny issue of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? I find that Thais in general have a very low awareness of any kind of international political situation ... but this is a more specific question about gay Thai Muslims. I kind of feel that most would have strong negative opinions towards Jews because of either toxic propaganda and/or rational expectation that Jews would be quite likely to be supportive of the existence of Israel. This is a sincere question. If some feel it doesn't fit here, so be it, don't answer then. Especially don't answer if you don't know anything about it.

Edited by Jingthing

A number of off-topic, inflammatory posts and replies have been deleted. This is about someone who is Gay and Muslim. It's not about how bad Muslims are, and it's not about a comparison of Buddhism and Islam.

This is the gay forum. Please stay on topic. Several posters are on very, very much on the edge.

• Like 1

I forgot to add that it doesn't really matter what Western expats think; the topic is about what Thais think. Unfortunately we have very few Thai posters, so those of us who have been here some time have to fill in for them.

There are five verses in the Koran against homosexual conduct and none in favour, so how can a Muslim obey the Koran and be gay? You cannot 'interpret' the Koran as it is the word of god according to Muslims and cannot be altered.