Motorbike Riders - a growing plague in need of a crackdown

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its a crackdown, those stupid rules about bikes staying left should be abolished.

Its better to get rid of old people driving cars that cant use their mirrors. In my car I have never had a bike come out of nowhere and I look before i change lanes and such.

Anyway, I perfectly agree that there are plenty of idiot bike riders that do stupid things but the majority does not. There are plenty of crack down on bikes banning us from certain flyovers or driving on the right side of roads. Its is annoying to say the least certainly if you drive bike that can out break and accelerate 95% of the cars.

The cracking down on bikes can only get more cars on the roads.. like we need that. Anyway I have driven morning traffic a lot and see bikes going past the cars.. almost never a problem only when some cars get out of alignment problems can arise. But why the hell people drive big pickups in a city is crazy.. they take up too much space normal cars is one thing but pickups.. they should crack down on those.

Rob, you are spouting it mate about using mirrors- you guys are coming left / right everywhere and you expect people to keep both eyes on side mirrors, rear mirror and the car in front of us because you guys feel the laws don't apply to you.

My truck takes up no more space than a camry or any other mid size sedan.

I know guys here with big bikes and they all agree that the guys driving those scooters are an absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

Here we go. another slanging match from the robblok. Can't resist throwing in comments about oldies who don't know how to drive a car, even with 50 years behind the wheel and only one accident, and that was caused by a young hoon who lost control because of driving too fast. Reply all you want robblok, you won't get anything else from me, I know your style.

Yes its a crackdown, those stupid rules about bikes staying left should be abolished.

Its better to get rid of old people driving cars that cant use their mirrors. In my car I have never had a bike come out of nowhere and I look before i change lanes and such.

Anyway, I perfectly agree that there are plenty of idiot bike riders that do stupid things but the majority does not. There are plenty of crack down on bikes banning us from certain flyovers or driving on the right side of roads. Its is annoying to say the least certainly if you drive bike that can out break and accelerate 95% of the cars.

The cracking down on bikes can only get more cars on the roads.. like we need that. Anyway I have driven morning traffic a lot and see bikes going past the cars.. almost never a problem only when some cars get out of alignment problems can arise. But why the hell people drive big pickups in a city is crazy.. they take up too much space normal cars is one thing but pickups.. they should crack down on those.

Rob, you are spouting it mate about using mirrors- you guys are coming left / right everywhere and you expect people to keep both eyes on side mirrors, rear mirror and the car in front of us because you guys feel the laws don't apply to you.

I know guys here with big bikes and they all agree that the guys driving those scooters are an absolute nightmare.

It's a typical stupid response from robblok, according to him it's the old guys in the trucks that are to blame for driving aound around with their eyes closed.

Rob has a point abut 3Litre Trucks hauling one person around 99% of the time.

Thing is they get financed by the tax payer too with cheap diesel. Make the diesel the price it should be that is step one.

But even I agree that there are plenty of idiot bike drivers and a crackdown on them so be it. Problem is it will bother all other bike riders too. I know I am breaking the law by not staying on the most left (and dangerous) lane. So any crackdown includes me and others too.

But really if you look at morning traffic and you see bikes going between cars (i see trains of them long lines) there are almost never problems. They are not out there to scratch cars and if you keep in line with the other cars nothing happens. (we are talking here about standstill traffic).

There are of course idiots that zig zag their life out at fast moving traffic and those guys are dangerous. I often get overtaken by those on my 650cc bike and I don't even try to keep up with them. I prefer to stay safe (but on the wrong lane).

I don't see how they can crack down on something like that when all they do is pull bikes over who are on the wrong lane not dangerous bikes. The whole Thai police modus operandi is stops for everyone and not going after dangerous driving because that takes more effort.

If there is something that needs a crackdown its red light jumpers.. bikes and cars. I always make sure that I am never off the first as its asking for an accident. Do you ever see the police do anything about that.. no too much trouble.

But by all means if there is a way go after really crazy bike and cars that are a danger to everyone. But have anyone of you ever seen the highway police go after offenders ?. I haven't what I have seen are mostly blockades grabbing everyone.

It's a typical stupid response from robblok, according to him it's the old guys in the trucks that are to blame for driving aound around with their eyes closed.

You can be young and driving with your eyes close I grant you that. Just feel attacked because I am driving a bike. So sorry for that.

Trucks are bigger and wider James, and I agree many of those small bikes can be a menace at times. I dont even try to keep up with them.

But don't you agree that before changing lanes you look in your mirrors ? In my car (ford focus) I dont have a problem with bikers. When do you have the problems with bikers ? It would only be with lane changes or not ?

A pickup truck is not really much bigger than a Ford Focus. Couple of centimeters wider. This does not help with the reckless scooter drivers who are left and right and flip in between. Endangering themselves and their passengers. I've seen it 2 times how these idiots hit mirrors of cars doing so, injuring the one behind.

I am happy the BiB here in CNX try to catch as many bikes as they can, also the stupid tourists that wave between lanes without a helmet. Nitemare. So I hope that crackdown on idiot bike drivers will continue.

I have a Scoopy and an ER6 myself, besides a pickup.

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 1

You can be young and driving with your eyes close I grant you that. Just feel attacked because I am driving a bike. So sorry for that.

Trucks are bigger and wider James, and I agree many of those small bikes can be a menace at times. I dont even try to keep up with them.

But don't you agree that before changing lanes you look in your mirrors ? In my car (ford focus) I dont have a problem with bikers. When do you have the problems with bikers ? It would only be with lane changes or not ?

To answer your last question...

See the original post.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why is it that Thai drivers at the red traffic light can't keep in line Indian file. That creates problems for scooter riders having to weave in and out to get to the front. I luv the front. The air is cleaner and it's cooler. The cars are all behind me and soon as the red light has counted down to 2.....I am off! But you still have the idiot car drivers ahead to deal with........ annoyed.gif

• Like 1

Fair enough, if you keep up with the traffic and don't try stunts. That's the reason to have a scooter to beat all the cars. And it usually works fine in Thailand, stupid rule in Europe that you have to queue with the bike in line. So yes, I'm doing that too. There are also more than enough idiot car drivers smile.png.

Fair enough, if you keep up with the traffic and don't try stunts. That's the reason to have a scooter to beat all the cars. And it usually works fine in Thailand, stupid rule in Europe that you have to queue with the bike in line. So yes, I'm doing that too. There are also more than enough idiot car drivers smile.png.

Correct I have a scooter and big bike you use them to beat traffic. I don't stunt it will kill me.

But I do get ahead in the line of course, why wait if your on a bike. As long as cars line up nice they don't get scratched and bikes can go on. Its a win win but often those big trucks make it hard on purpose. Their loss I won't be the one damaging them as it damages my bike too and it just bad even if they block you on purpose but others are not as considerate.

I think everyone hates the real crazy bikes. I dont like them much either and I dont copy their behavior.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm with you 100%. My pet hate is those that appear out of nowhere and fly pass you on the inside.

If they appear out of nowhere, use your mirrors a bit better.

My mirrors don't do "nowhere".

Than get a person who can rub 2 brain cella together to adjust them and teach you how to use them. If a driver is oblivious to the road situations encountered than perhaps they shouldn't be on the road.

Before you start calling people brain dead and suggesting that they don't know how to use side mirrors (this is after driving for 50 years), try using some grey matter yourself. When a motorbike is weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed and then suddenly swerves to overtake on the inside there are milliseconds to react and very little you can do anyway other than see them speed past, so I'm not sure what action I'm supposed to take. Go and give the Thai motorcycle rider some lessons in road rules instead of putting sh*t on a responsible driver.

Ok...you may be a cranky old <deleted>...but at least you have your facilities. As you are old enough to be a pensioner, may I humbly suggest that perhaps your eyesight and reactions aren't as good as they were back when the Doors, Beatles, bell bottoms and free love were in vogue?

21 years ago, when I started driving, defensive driving was taught. Expecting the unexpected and making plans for it. And thus far that training has served me well. I've driven everything on Thai roads with the exception of the big tour busses and some things I haven't seen on the road locally.

I also have a birthday that is postdiluvian and moved to the country fully knowing what it was like. Perhaps had I needed to save my whole life to live here and had the white man's burden complex where I felt the compelling urge to bring the brown savages to civility than perhaps I would echo such an inane sentiment.

I'm with you 100%. My pet hate is those that appear out of nowhere and fly pass you on the inside.

Than get a person who can rub 2 brain cella together to adjust them and teach you how to use them. If a driver is oblivious to the road situations encountered than perhaps they shouldn't be on the road.

Before you start calling people brain dead and suggesting that they don't know how to use side mirrors (this is after driving for 50 years), try using some grey matter yourself. When a motorbike is weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed and then suddenly swerves to overtake on the inside there are milliseconds to react and very little you can do anyway other than see them speed past, so I'm not sure what action I'm supposed to take. Go and give the Thai motorcycle rider some lessons in road rules instead of putting sh*t on a responsible driver.

Ok...you may be a cranky old <deleted>...but at least you have your facilities. As you are old enough to be a pensioner, may I humbly suggest that perhaps your eyesight and reactions aren't as good as they were back when the Doors, Beatles, bell bottoms and free love were in vogue?

21 years ago, when I started driving, defensive driving was taught. Expecting the unexpected and making plans for it. And thus far that training has served me well. I've driven everything on Thai roads with the exception of the big tour busses and some things I haven't seen on the road locally.

I also have a birthday that is postdiluvian and moved to the country fully knowing what it was like. Perhaps had I needed to save my whole life to live here and had the white man's burden complex where I felt the compelling urge to bring the brown savages to civility than perhaps I would echo such an inane sentiment.

Oh, to be so perfect!

Oh, to be so perfect!

It's my Buddha belly that ties it all in.

install a camera in the car to show the accident how it actually happened could save you a fortune in bribes and costs, I also turn mine to the side to record the cop who stops me for no reason, they are not happy being filmed extracting T/money.

The gps can also be downloaded to show your speed at any time of the the day and the location

I rather think that King Canute had more chance of stopping the tide coming in than the Thai authorities have of getting Thai youngsters to drive their motorbikes sedately and responsibly. Yes we will always shake our heads and wring our hands but there will still be loony motorcycle drivers out their tomorrow. As soon as one wraps himself around the lamp post another couple come to take his place

I don't have a problem with bikes because I know what to expect.

What I was alluding to but this is more succinct.

Yes keep the downtrodden masses off our roads.

I think there was a rant once from a hi-so woman in the BKK Post who wanted all buses removed from BKK because they were a menace to her navigation.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

You're talking about a cultural change in behavior involving education and enforcement. All you can expect to see is the promise of change (the easy part). With no follow through.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I must give one thing to James, he was right about trucks and normal cars being the same width. I looked it up because I always had the impression that trucks were wider and causing more problems. I found that a vigo is only 2cm wider as my ford focus. So that is not that much, still most of the cars that cause problems for bikes seem to be trucks. Might have been my perception.

Anyway I am also annoyed with small bikes that go against the flow of traffic or zig zag like crazy. However the splicing of lanes and getting ahead in traffic I consider normal. There are always extremes and I for one when splicing lanes in between the cars don't go too fast as it only takes one car to try to change position (even when stuck) and you get into an accident.

But even if you drive motorbikes away.. if for every 3 you drive away you get one car extra your in a lot of trouble traffic wise. It would be better to get rid of cars if you like traffic flow. So first thing let the diesel be priced normally (they are talking about it) and maybe that will get rid of some cars.

I often see trucks zig zagging like they are bikes and find those a lot more dangerous and often see them further up the road in an accident. There is a certain kind of driver that was dangerous as a motorbike driver and once they get a truck drive it the same way.

I think that as a motorbike driver you see a lot more of traffic as your often passing cars and moving on not staying in a row all the time. I also think you are more alert on a motorbike as in a car (its your life on the line no cage around you) so you notice things more. Anyway my pet hate is that big bikes are caught during crackdowns on bikes. I know I break the rule by not staying on the left (and will never do that for my own safety) I just accept it like I have to accept all the red light jumpers (you see them more on bikes as your often at the front of the line waiting instead as somewhere in the back with a car). Traffic is different here and bikes are a big part of it. I doubt things will change fast, they might but it will be slowly.

A good thing would be if traffic cops actually went after people who were dangerous instead of static checks that net everyone just for some money. But I dont see it happening as it does not net them enough money.

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with bikes because I know what to expect.

What I was alluding to but this is more succinct.

If you drive a bike you know what they will do (except a few idiots). You will also make sure you leave enough space between you and other cars for them to pass you harmlessly. My car has no scratches on them at all from bikes. There is room enough for bikes in between rows of cars if you put your car right. I am talking here about the lines in traffic not in fast moving situations.

=

Yep, let's clean the streets of this menace and get them all driving cars instead. doh.

nobody is saying that, what I am saying is get them driving responsibly - legally - safely. doh.

BKKjames.

First get rid of trucks.. they are too big and block the roads.

By cracking down on bike riders you get more cars as a result. I would say ease the rules for bike riders and crack down on trucks. Why own trucks they are to big for normal traffic. Bikes use less fuel are more economical take up less space.

That you get scratched is your own problem by not staying aligned with other traffic. Really I drive a bike and a car and even in the car I don't have a problem with bikes because I know what to expect.

But the reason i drive a bike more often and don't add to the traffic problems by taking my car is because you can splice lanes. Many people think like this and if you crack down on bikes (happens enough already) you will get more people in cars and more traffic problems.

Do you call asking bike riders to obey the road rules and behave responsibly a "crackdown"?

". Its is annoying to say the least certainly if you drive bike that can out break and accelerate 95% of the cars."

Out accelerate? For sure! Out brake? Not a chance!

Depends on the bike and the speed from which the braking is done- from 100kph my bike has the same stopping distance as a Ferrari 458 (which stops faster than 99.9% of cars on the road), and from slower speeds I have the advantage- it's only at speeds above 150kph that decent cars (not your average pick-up or SUV) start to have the advantage- only sports cars and high-end sedans with upgraded brakes can compete with quality bikes at typical speeds.

If you're referring to the average scooter, than you'd be correct.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Why is it that Thai drivers at the red traffic light can't keep in line Indian file. That creates problems for scooter riders having to weave in and out to get to the front. I luv the front. The air is cleaner and it's cooler. The cars are all behind me and soon as the red light has counted down to 2.....I am off! But you still have the idiot car drivers ahead to deal with........ annoyed.gif

Agreed, I never intentionally stagger in line with my SUV. I always try and give the bikes room to filter and take off from the lights. Then I have my own breathing room :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Depends on the bike and the speed from which the braking is done- from 100kph my bike has the same stopping distance as a Ferrari 458 (which stops faster than 99.9% of cars on the road), and from slower speeds I have the advantage- it's only at speeds above 150kph that decent cars (not your average pick-up or SUV) start to have the advantage- only sports cars and high-end sedans with upgraded brakes can compete with quality bikes at typical speeds.

Well you must have some special bike, on average a car will out brake a bike.

BRAKING, 60-0 MPH bike 117 ft car 99 ft BRAKING, 100-0 MPH bike 322 ft car 272 ft

Edited by fasteddie

I am sick of having to dodge moto bike riders who constantly break the law here endangering not only themselves but passengers, pedestrians and other drivers.

I can understand the OP's frustration; however, two small caveats:

1 Motorbike riders don't care

2 The cops don't care

The locals drive the same way they walk, cutting in front, pushing in an elevator before other people can depart.

Selfishness and I don't see it improving, ever...

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 2

Well you must have some special bike, on average a car will out brake a bike.

BRAKING, 60-0 MPH bike 117 ft car 99 ft BRAKING, 100-0 MPH bike 322 ft car 272 ft

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1101_ferrari_458_italia_vs_ducati_1198_s/#ixzz360ra6dhi

Yes I do, but that seems reasonable if I have to compare it to a car that costs over 25mil in LOS.

I was wrong, though- my bike stops a bit better than the 458 from 60mph (though I'm beaten from 100mph)- I've also got the 14R that was used in the comparison test in the link that stops in 107', which isn't bad for a 585lb motorcycle (and mine is down 30lbs from stock with upgraded lines and pads, which should be worth a few feet). To be fair, though, I haven't yet taken delivery of the HP4- I'm awaiting mods from the States while it sits at the dealer.;)

My point is that most literbikes and 600cc sportbikes will out-brake pretty much any car (from supercar on down) from the speeds that we travel at the vast majority of the time on Thai roads- it's only at very fast speeds where cars have the advantage- if they match or at least compete in the same league as a Ferrari, how do you think bikes do against Vigos and Mazda 2's?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/12926/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Hypersport-Motorcycle-Shootout-Conclusion.aspx

post-176811-0-76831500-1404031942_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown