Thailand assures EU of progress in creating national reconciliation

webfact

Special Report: Thailand assures EU of progress in creating national reconciliation

Thailand has called on the European Union (EU) and its member states to recognize the ongoing efforts from all sectors of Thai society to bring about national reconciliation, which will foster an environment conducive to sustainable democracy, as laid out in the three-phase roadmap.

The Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Acting Foreign Minister, Mr. Sihasak Phuangketkeow, held a press conference after a meeting with Mr. Jesus Miguel Sanz, EU Ambassador to Thailand, on the conclusions adopted by the EU Foreign Affairs Council regarding the situation in Thailand.

The Permanent Secretary stated that Thailand is disappointed by the EU’s measures, which have not taken into account the positive developments in Thailand since 22 May 2014, including the restoration of peace and order, the continuation of the national administration, and most importantly, the restoration of normalcy in Thai society.

The Permanent Secretary reiterated to the EU ambassador that EU should reconsider the suspension of official visits to and from Thailand and the decision not to sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), with a view for the long-term mutual interest.

According to a report from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, during the Q&A session, the press asked whether the EU would apply any economic sanctions to Thailand or not, to which the Permanent Secretary insisted that trade and investment between EU countries and Thailand would continue.

The measures from the EU will not affect Thailand’s participation in the multilateral meetings, including the ASEAN-EU Ministerial Meeting in Brussels in July 2014 and the ASEM Summit in Milan in October 2014.

The Permanent Secretary stated that the Foreign Ministry has been working closely with the EU, and he himself had met several ambassadors from EU countries to explain the political situation in Thailand.

In parallel, Thai diplomatic missions in European countries have continuously provided information and developments on the situation to their respective host governments.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-27 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

As expected Thailand is trying to smooth the relations with the EU..it's called negotiating...now the ball is in the EU's court.

but I guessing the naysayers on this forum are gonna do the crybaby dance again.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The measures from the EU will not affect Thailand’s participation in the multilateral meetings, including the ASEAN-EU Ministerial Meeting in Brussels in July 2014 and the ASEM Summit in Milan in October 2014.

I'm not sure how this works in light of the statement from the EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting in Luxembourg, 23 June 2014, Point 4:

Against this background, the EU is forced to reconsider its engagement. Official visits to and from Thailand have been suspended; the EU and its Member States will not sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand, until a democratically elected government is in place. Other agreements will, as appropriate, be affected. EU Member States have already begun to review their military cooperation with Thailand.

To many conflicting headlines coming out of Thailand !

They have been told by other countries what they think and the media comes out with stay out of our business or get off your high horse.

One article has the tourists back after 4 days of the lifting of the curfew and half an hour they have the tourism industry in dire straits and that's just one industry.

The world condemned the coup and no matter how hard they try and sell it most countries aren't buying!

• Like 2

To many conflicting headlines coming out of Thailand !

They have been told by other countries what they think and the media comes out with stay out of our business or get off your high horse.

One article has the tourists back after 4 days of the lifting of the curfew and half an hour they have the tourism industry in dire straits and that's just one industry.

The world condemned the coup and no matter how hard they try and sell it most countries aren't buying!

the west is not the world - no ones worried - only talk no action except for 3 million grant removed - this only goes to show how much inconvenience Shinawatras cause for people all over the world!

Actually this is not the EU’s problem, this is our problem, and we should first be given the opportunity of sorting out our problems “The Thai Way” before we are condemned by the western world. Do we ever interfere in their problems? I think not.

Actually this is not the EU’s problem, this is our problem, and we should first be given the opportunity of sorting out our problems “The Thai Way” before we are condemned by the western world. Do we ever interfere in their problems? I think not.

The Thai way: the provinces elect, Bangkok rejects. It works for the Bangkokians but they are not going to get much applause.

• Like 1

"restoration of peace and order, the continuation of the national administration, and most importantly, the restoration of normalcy in Thai society."

So many nay sayers! You guys just need to put on your thinking caps. Normalcy in Thai society, not your wishy washy nanny state socialized touchy feely democracies! Coups are normal here, or haven't you noticed? Same goes for arresting opposition and pointing out how corrupt those scoundrels are and implying those who are now in power are without blemish. Got to think outside that box ya know...

No offense, but it seems most Thais really don't know/care about anything in the rest of the world making it difficult for them to really object to anything.

Also, I believe you forget that the Thai government often complains to its neighbors much like other countries are complaining to Thailand.

Lastly. I have seen lots of this anti US/EU rhetoric around. But the truth is, they are doing nothing really to force you to do things differently than you want. All they have done is hold back some money and temporarily suspend some deals with Thailand. The EU and US know they cannot force you to do anything you don't want. So, really, I don't see what the complaint is. You want to do things your way, they are giving you the space to do so.

I don't know whoms problem this is, but the following ist fact:

Thailand on 29 October 1997 has ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR / International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, ICCPR). Since 1997 the ICCPR enjoys the status of a law in Thailand.
Whether by international standards, the situation in the whole territory of the country could be seen as "emergency" before the last military coup, the United Nations would have the rebels under this ICCPR article say they have overridden which provisions of the ICCPR and from what reasons. Furthermore, they would have to specify a time frame as to how long such measures. This raises the question of whether the Thai coup leaders this obligation (already) have complied with and whether the United Nations has called on the rebels to an opinion. This question should really also be interested media representatives.

It is thus clear that Thailand even under circumstances international agreements can not be ignored easily. Especially if an international agreement such as the International Covenant has already been ratified on Civil and Political Rights and the Thai legal system has the force of law. The ratification of the ICCPR is the expression of that in Thailand the minimum is guaranteed to civil and political rights. Should the United Nations demand that the rebels a political agenda for the future of the country, which is no interference in the internal affairs of the country. Rather, Thailand would be reminded of its international obligations.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm not sure how this works in light of the statement from the EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting in Luxembourg, 23 June 2014, Point 4:

Against this background, the EU is forced to reconsider its engagement. Official visits to and from Thailand have been suspended; the EU and its Member States will not sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand, until a democratically elected government is in place. Other agreements will, as appropriate, be affected. EU Member States have already begun to review their military cooperation with Thailand.

"will not sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand, until a democratically elected government is in place"

Hang on a minute! The present regime in Kiev and its supporters were backed by this same EU that quoted the above and they violated fundamental principles of democratic governance when they supported ousting a democratically elected president through illegal means using a neo nazi front to propagate it. President Viktor Yanukovich who had come to power through a free and fair election in 2010 should have been removed through the ballot-box. That is what the UDD and PTP supporters say all the time isn't it? Let them have their say at the ballot box. The EU didn't adhere to that democratic principle in Ukraine.

​But lets ignore that hypocrisy by the EU and go with what they say here because it suits your agenda. Never mind it is driven from a self interest over principles and there stance on Thailand has nothing to do with democracy, but they only use that word as it is a swell handle that fits there agenda in this case.

You make a fancible re-write of history.

In reality President Viktor Yanukovich was removed by majority vote of the elected parliament supported by a majority of Yanukovich's own political party in accordance to the procedures proscribed in the Ukrainian constitution. There is no ballot box vote of the Ukrainian people to keep or remove the President prescribed in the Constitution. Subsequently, the parliament was dissolved, an interim government installed, and new national elections scheduled for a new government in accordance to the same constitution. Sound familiar? The interim government wasn't overthrown by the military and the constitution remained in tact. Now a new government has been formed through free and fair elections in less than 6 months in accordance to the same constitution despite the violence and chaos existing in eastern Ukraine.

There is simply no hippocrisy, no foreign conspiracy, and no renegade government with regard to Ukrainian regime change. Considering that throughout peaceful regime change Ukraine is facing an aggressive imperial foreign power that invaded the country and uses pro-Russian Ukrainian citizens as its surrogate to further Russian annexation of the country, Ukraine should be praised for preserving the fundamentals of democracy. That will make Ukraine even more desirableto become a member of the EU; the very fear that Putin had before he invaded Ukraine to stop such association.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"will not sign the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Thailand, until a democratically elected government is in place"

Hang on a minute! The present regime in Kiev and its supporters were backed by this same EU that quoted the above and they violated fundamental principles of democratic governance when they supported ousting a democratically elected president through illegal means using a neo nazi front to propagate it. President Viktor Yanukovich who had come to power through a free and fair election in 2010 should have been removed through the ballot-box. That is what the UDD and PTP supporters say all the time isn't it? Let them have their say at the ballot box. The EU didn't adhere to that democratic principle in Ukraine.

​But lets ignore that hypocrisy by the EU and go with what they say here because it suits your agenda. Never mind it is driven from a self interest over principles and there stance on Thailand has nothing to do with democracy, but they only use that word as it is a swell handle that fits there agenda in this case.

In reality President Viktor Yanukovich was removed by majority vote of the elected parliament supported by a majority of Yanukovich's own political party in accordance to the procedures proscribed in the Ukrainian constitution. There is no ballot box vote of the Ukrainian people to keep or remove the President prescribed in the Constitution. Subsequently, the parliament was dissolved, an interim government installed, and new national elections scheduled for a new government in accordance to the same constitution. Sound familiar? The interim government wasn't overthrown by the military and the constitution remained in tact. Now a new government has been formed through free and fair elections in less than 6 months in accordance to the same constitution despite the violence and chaos existing in eastern Ukraine.

There is simply no hippocrisy, no foreign conspiracy, and no renegade government with regard to Ukrainian regime change. Considering that throughout peaceful regime change Ukraine is facing an aggressive imperial foreign power that invaded the country and uses pro-Russian Ukrainian citizens as its surrogate to further Russian annexation of the country, Ukraine should be praised for preserving the fundamentals of democracy. That will make Ukraine even more desirableto become a member of the EU; the very fear that Putin had before he invaded Ukraine to stop such association.

Yes my friend. And the 2007 Thai constitution referendum was not democratic too. I have heard it all before.

Follow the agenda my friend and fall into the hypocritical trap that the gullible are magnetized to.

May peace and reconciliation be with you.

<EDIT> Yet you cannot provide a single link and I can provide many to back my facts….

Edited by djjamie

I really do think that Thailand doesn't really care that much about the European Union or America.

Thailand is looking towards China. And it might be the case that Thailand stands to benefit more from being with China rather than being with the European Union and America.

Is there any truth in the reports today from the Junta that eating a sandwich could possibly get you arrested? facepalm.gif I mean seriously? There's a few things that the Junta have done that doesn't quite have the reconciliation I had in mind, detention for dissent is quite petty considering what has gone on for the past 8 months from both red and yellow camps..

• Like 1

Is there any truth in the reports today from the Junta that eating a sandwich could possibly get you arrested? facepalm.gif I mean seriously? There's a few things that the Junta have done that doesn't quite have the reconciliation I had in mind, detention for dissent is quite petty considering what has gone on for the past 8 months from both red and yellow camps..

Could have something to do with choice of mustard or ketchup?

• Like 1

I don't know whoms problem this is, but the following ist fact:

Thailand on 29 October 1997 has ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR / International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, ICCPR). Since 1997 the ICCPR enjoys the status of a law in Thailand.

Whether by international standards, the situation in the whole territory of the country could be seen as "emergency" before the last military coup, the United Nations would have the rebels under this ICCPR article say they have overridden which provisions of the ICCPR and from what reasons. Furthermore, they would have to specify a time frame as to how long such measures. This raises the question of whether the Thai coup leaders this obligation (already) have complied with and whether the United Nations has called on the rebels to an opinion. This question should really also be interested media representatives.

It is thus clear that Thailand even under circumstances international agreements can not be ignored easily. Especially if an international agreement such as the International Covenant has already been ratified on Civil and Political Rights and the Thai legal system has the force of law. The ratification of the ICCPR is the expression of that in Thailand the minimum is guaranteed to civil and political rights. Should the United Nations demand that the rebels a political agenda for the future of the country, which is no interference in the internal affairs of the country. Rather, Thailand would be reminded of its international obligations.

Probably just my sense of humour, but that "United Nations demand that the rebels ..." made me think of this stand-up comedy

"Moderate Syrian Rebel Application Form

Posted by Andy Borowitz"

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/06/moderate-syrian-rebel-application-form.html?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_Borowitz%20(90)

You have been watching too much Fox news or CNN...but then you probably think Iraq & Afghanistan have a democratically elected government too.

May be related to the choice or size of drinks going with the sandwich?

"New York's Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that New York City's ban on large sugary drinks, which was previously blocked by lower courts, is illegal."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/26/justice/ny-sugary-drink-rulling/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

May be related to the choice or size of drinks going with the sandwich?

"New York's Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that New York City's ban on large sugary drinks, which was previously blocked by lower courts, is illegal."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/26/justice/ny-sugary-drink-rulling/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

As long as beer isn't classed as a sugary drink...

• Like 1

As the old saying goes ... 'the customer is always right' meaning the EU. If you want our custom, then stick to our rules. If not, and keep spewing out the rhetoric 'The Thai Way', and we will reciprocate by telling you it's either our way, or the highway !

Im sure the sandwich chain Subway are over the moon, I hear they are considering relabelling them baguettes and rolls. rolleyes.gif

Edited by englishoak

I really can't think of anything which the EU really needs, which is supplied by Thailand and cannot be obtained from elsewhere.

I also think that the EU is far from being a paradime of democratic governance,

But, realpolitik dictates that if the EU blanks Thailand it will hurt,

If Thailand blanks the EU, no-one will really notice.