Not so amusing Thai story's, but still funny.

I moved into my house 10 years ago.
The electricity was not on.
I told my Thai Chinese friend I was booking into a hotel for the night.
No need he says, Ill send my electrician round.
He will be able to temporarily connect it for you tonight.
Really? You sure?
I'm sure he confidently assured me.
So there we are out in the street.
I'm standing behind him holding a torch whilst his fumbling around with the box.
I had a feeling he didn't know what he was doing and I began to feel nervous.
I was about to take a step back.
When suddenly there was a big explosion and we were knocked over into the road.
I was shocked and winded because he fell on top of me.
But otherwise unhurt.
He jumped up and started running down the street, patting his head, with his hair smoking.
Which was funny at the time.
The box was now on fire.
And half the streets lights went of.
He came running back with a bucket of water to put it out.
I took it of him and we used sand.
I had to pay for a an entire new box and neighbours meters.
Cue trolls!
  • Like 1

Why did your Thai Chinese friend refer to the man as "my electrician"? Was he his employee? If so, did your friend offer to contribute to your expense of fitting a new box and meters for your neighbours? Is he still your friend?

Alway's the friend,never our wonderful,gallant and handsome,op.maybe your friend slipped on a doormat,'lucky',your post's are about as entertaining as a visit to the morgue,no in fact less so.

The trouble with you is that you lack the power of conversation but not the power of speech.

Why did your Thai Chinese friend refer to the man as "my electrician"? Was he his employee? If so, did your friend offer to contribute to your expense of fitting a new box and meters for your neighbours? Is he still your friend?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

He expected no payment for his workers assistance.T.I.T

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Thank you for reply. Still not sure I understand though, but then I'm still fairly new to Thailand and its ways

If the "electrician" was your friend's employee, then why didn't you ask your friend to reimburse your bill? Or are you saying that because "he expected no payment for his worker's assistance" he was not liable for your losses?

Did he not feel embarrassed, as your friend, that he had caused you considerable trouble and expense, and so felt obliged to make some sort of contribution towards your bills? Or is that just another example of "Thainess"?

'T.I.T.' meaning what? Two Idiots Talking i.e. your friend to his employee?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Thank you for reply. Still not sure I understand though, but then I'm still fairly new to Thailand and its ways

If the "electrician" was your friend's employee, then why didn't you ask your friend to reimburse your bill? Or are you saying that because "he expected no payment for his worker's assistance" he was not liable for your losses?

Did he not feel embarrassed, as your friend, that he had caused you considerable trouble and expense, and so felt obliged to make some sort of contribution towards your bills? Or is that just another example of "Thainess"?

I considered as I was using his staff without any expected payment I was liable.

I think it could be any example of Thainess in most cases.

In this case we are very close and that's how we left it without speaking about it again, except the spectacle of his worker running around patting his hair which was smoking.

T.I.T This Is Thailand.

You are going to come across this a lot, that's for sure.

'Ave a great weekend.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

I considered as I was using his staff without any expected payment I was liable.

I think it could be any example of Thainess in most cases.

In this case we are very close and that's how we left it without speaking about it again, except the spectacle of his worker running around patting his hair which was smoking.

T.I.T This Is Thailand.

You are going to come across this a lot, that's for sure.

'Ave a great weekend.

Thanks for your explanation. Much appreciated. I understand now.

Apologies for making you deconstruct your anecdote. I have found that if you have to pull a joke to pieces to explain it to other people, it loses its humour.

I hope that you have a great weekend too.