Nokia N70

Chivas

Am considering purchasing the N70 in Thailand which appears to retail 16-17 k.

Have basic web access needs-online banking,occasional Ebay check etc plus standard Hotmail and AOL.

I no longer use internet cafes to be on the safe side.

To date have always brought laptop with me but will the N70 do the job ??

Regards,

Chivas

I have the N70 here in Thailand. Using the Opera browser I have no problems accessing Yahoo and Hotmail e-mails, including attachments. I can access most sites, unless they are blocked by MICT (but I of course never look at those kinds of sites :o )

I had never used it for internet banking, but have just tried logging on and got a message saying the log on route selected is not applicable to the service for which you are registered, so either I cannot do Internet Banking via mobile, or I am doing something wrong (very possible).

I have the N70 here in Thailand. Using the Opera browser I have no problems accessing Yahoo and Hotmail e-mails, including attachments. I can access most sites, unless they are blocked by MICT (but I of course never look at those kinds of sites :o )

I had never used it for internet banking, but have just tried logging on and got a message saying the log on route selected is not applicable to the service for which you are registered, so either I cannot do Internet Banking via mobile, or I am doing something wrong (very possible).

Statesix,

Is the "Opera Browser" the standard default setting on the N70 for internet access ??

Regards,

Chivas

Statesix,

Is the "Opera Browser" the standard default setting on the N70 for internet access ??

Regards,

Chivas

When I first tried connecting to the internet via the N70 it used a different, not very good browser. I bought the phone from a stall in MBK and they installed a few programs including Opera. They will install packs of programs on any compatible phone. If you buy one and it isnt on there just go see them.

opera has a browser that works on symbian OS

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/produ...latform=symbian

access produces netfront which is a good browser for mobile devices also

http://www.access.co.jp/english/products/nf.html

but it will depend on what your banking site needs are - some use java , some use plain HTTPS - so you need a browser that will work with your chosen banks websites.

as an aside , I am looking at the E50 as my next phone

http://www.nokia.com.sg/nokia/0,,93887,00.html

http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/nokia/e50.html

Edited by stumonster

StateSix,

Completely off topic, but that avatar is from Full Metal Jacket, isn't it? I remember that DI well. An ex-military friend insisted he couldn't have possibly been an actor - he seemed way too authentic! Then years later I came across a bit of trivia that in fact he was a marine NCO in Vietnam.

Peter