Regina School

DavidOxon

I used to teach a course for the Thai English teachers at Regina. My Thai wife also used to teach there, not as a regular classroom teacher but in the performing arts. My “inside” knowledge may be a bit out of date, but I would hesitate before sending my child there. First of all, I don't think that Regina rates nearly as highly in academic terms as does Montfort. Not too long ago, it didn't even rate as highly as Sacred Heart, across the street. Secondly, what worries me about the Thai schools isn't so much their academic credentials, it's the social indoctrination that goes on. In my opinion, this is a more fundamental aspect of education. Thai schools, in my experience, tend to perpetuate unhealthy, unproductive and rigid attitudes towards authority and social structure. They discourage creativity and critical thinking. Maybe such an “education” does prepare a child for future life in Thailand in a way but I don't want that for my daughter. This is not to say that the western model of education is perfect. I just find its imperfections less troubling.

I sympathize with the OP, as I have a young daughter in kindergarten here in Chiang Mai (she's at Panyaden for the time being). As I consider her future education, my overriding concern is to give her the option to pursue whatever life she desires. Along those lines, I will likely send her to an international school when she's older. The way I see it, I personally may want to stay in Thailand forever, but I can't assume that she will want the same for herself. And I'm as certain as I can be that an education from an international school will give her more options, and the ability to critically consider them, than one from Regina or any other Thai school.

• Like 2

well! If we're going to stay here in CM, then what are the options? An international school which will leave her (from observation) with a strong American accent and little Thai? (She's never going to go to Uni in Amarica) or a 'decent' Thai school that will prepare her for life as a Thai?

Go listen to the kids at the international schools which teach British English, the students still end up with an American accent of varying degrees due to movies, music, and a large contingant of people speaking American English.

Your choices are K2 and up

Montfort, Prince, Dara, Sarasas, Wichai, Regina, Sacred Heart, Varee, for ~30-45k a term.

Don't expect much at these schools, but it could be fine if you plan on having a large influence in the kid's education and then in Matayom having them go on to a proper school

Panyaden is Bilingual, and is about 60-70/term and has certified foreign teachers, not kids with 1 month TEFL's. Best of the bilingual programs as far as actually achieving the goal of students being bi or polylingual. However their philosophy isn't for everyone

Then you have APIS, Grace, Lanna, NIS, and CMIS which are proper American international schools, expect them to be higher been awhile since I checked their Kindergarten fees, but I believe it's 80-100k plus with upwards of an extra 40k in fees, especially if the student is ESL.

Prem is the only other one I can think of at the moment. They are also the most expensive.

Just thought of some other schools that I have little idea about

Hannah Christian, Baan khun Mae, CM Christian, and the Christian German school.

Long story short, expect to pay a few hundred thousand a month for a western level of education. This does not mean that there are not many successful Thai's graduating from private schools and in country universities.

well! If we're going to stay here in CM, then what are the options? An international school which will leave her (from observation) with a strong American accent and little Thai? (She's never going to go to Uni in Amarica) or a 'decent' Thai school that will prepare her for life as a Thai?

Then you have APIS, Grace, Lanna, NIS, and CMIS which are proper American international schools, expect them to be higher been awhile since I checked their Kindergarten fees, but I believe it's 80-100k plus with upwards of an extra 40k in fees, especially if the student is ESL.

Lanna is a British International School.

Lanna is a British International School.

Thanks, I knew there was more in CM and writing that out felt odd.

Go listen to the kids at the international schools which teach British English, the students still end up with an American accent of varying degrees due to movies, music, and a large contingant of people speaking American English.

Your choices are K2 and up

Montfort, Prince, Dara, Sarasas, Wichai, Regina, Sacred Heart, Varee, for ~30-45k a term.

Don't expect much at these schools, but it could be fine if you plan on having a large influence in the kid's education and then in Matayom having them go on to a proper school

Panyaden is Bilingual, and is about 60-70/term and has certified foreign teachers, not kids with 1 month TEFL's. Best of the bilingual programs as far as actually achieving the goal of students being bi or polylingual. However their philosophy isn't for everyone

Prem is the only other one I can think of at the moment. They are also the most expensive.

Just thought of some other schools that I have little idea about

Hannah Christian, Baan khun Mae, CM Christian, and the Christian German school.

Long story short, expect to pay a few hundred thousand a month for a western level of education. This does not mean that there are not many successful Thai's graduating from private schools and in country universities.

well, CMIS fees (and CMIS is probably one of the best accredited international schools in the city) are close to 200K/year... not per month. Our child went there for 4 yrs and we are now homeschooling her... which is done via enrolling in an online accredited academy... and that is working out even better than we expected.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't someone post somewhere, or was it in the news, that CMU might have approached being in the top 100 universities in Asia? We're not talking about the world rankings. Not sure, but is one supposed to be impressed with CMU, or tertiary education in Thailand as a whole? Cute uniforms for trim upperclassmen, however.

CMU is a rather mixed picture, the medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy faculties are well respected.

Other faculties a very mixed picture, and the total number of courses conducted in English language you can count on one hand.

re: '...the total number of courses conducted in English language you can count on one hand.'

I hear that even their MA in English is taught in the Thai language, apparently the English language can be quite arduous for most aspiring to teach it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't someone post somewhere, or was it in the news, that CMU might have approached being in the top 100 universities in Asia? We're not talking about the world rankings. Not sure, but is one supposed to be impressed with CMU, or tertiary education in Thailand as a whole? Cute uniforms for trim upperclassmen, however.

CMU is a rather mixed picture, the medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy faculties are well respected.

Other faculties a very mixed picture, and the total number of courses conducted in English language you can count on one hand.

re: '...the total number of courses conducted in English language you can count on one hand.'

I hear that even their MA in English is taught in the Thai language, apparently the English language can be quite arduous for most aspiring to teach it.

My Ex did he MA TESOL at Payap for this reason, she hated Payap and it didn't have the name. But she felt that at least all the classes were in English. She was also offered 20-30k by at least 4 CMU MA students to write their Thesis. Thesis writing can be a major source of income for Thai's who are skilled in English.

• Like 1