Internet Explorer.

johnnygimbo

If you deliberately start Internet Explorer it may state that it's not the default browser and do you want it to check every time, say no.

There are still many sires that only work properly in IE, so removing it completely may not be wise, but you should be able to stop it popping up and causing annoyance.

There are still many sires that only work properly in IE, so removing it completely may not be wise, but you should be able to stop it popping up and causing annoyance.

These are the sites I forget about as fast as possible. And by the way, IE does not run on my machine, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Konqueror, Rekonq, Lynx do.

It's not ideal to remove IE. yes, some older sites are only configured for it. It can be disabled through control panel, add remove programs, then the option for windows programs. I wouldn't. Check default programs and ensure your desired browser selected as default. When IE popup pause, and look for arrow near yes no option for making IE default. Then select No, don't ask again. IE is porous and there's actually sine study that concluded people who use IE are intellectually lower IQ. Amazing what's called science, but nearly self evident too!

Also I'd consider running Malwarebytes, or your preferred. You shouldn't be getting enough pop ups to irritate you. Just a thought.

It's not ideal to remove IE. yes, some older sites are only configured for it. It can be disabled through control panel, add remove programs, then the option for windows programs. I wouldn't. Check default programs and ensure your desired browser selected as default. When IE popup pause, and look for arrow near yes no option for making IE default. Then select No, don't ask again. IE is porous and there's actually sine study that concluded people who use IE are intellectually lower IQ. Amazing what's called science, but nearly self evident too!

Also I'd consider running Malwarebytes, or your preferred. You shouldn't be getting enough pop ups to irritate you. Just a thought.

I must be one of those with a lower IQ, I find nothing wrong with IE even after trying most other browsers. What I do know, after 30 plus years in IT is that those who complain are those who complain about Microsoft's dominance, but still use windows and other Microsoft products. It is true some sites are not supported by other browsers, it is also a fact that some hardware, eg IP cams, using a built in GUI where ALL functions are only available using active-X, only supported by IE. All browsers have vulnerabilities. Chrome is looking good, Firefox seems to be lacking, have had numerous sites fail, and the other browsers, well use them if you want, but why? Some say one browser loads fast than another, in practice this comes down more to your connection speed from you to the site you are accessing, a lightweight browser may load faster, but this is usually milliseconds, hard to prove and who cares.

All my comments are based on Windows machines, those using other OS's need not comment. Having said that on Linux, use Chrome not Firefox, those using Apple, well you were tricked into buying an overpriced box, even Apple seems to push the iPhone rather than a Mac.

• Like 1

I.E is one of the most vunerable and least configurable of browsers. It is also one of the hardest to uninstall properly as obviously Windows and its partner Bing dont want you to uninstal. There are ways but its not worth the hassle as it will come back again if you use Windows automatic updates. You can just go to control panel and disable it. With your choice of browser make it the default Browser, you can do this in options on your browser. I use Firefox as it is quite secure and configurable, however, these days on my humble laptop it becomes a bit resource hungry if you are running pop up blockers and going through a VPN. Might try out some Linux OS. Stay away from Apple browsers.

I.E is one of the most vunerable and least configurable of browsers. It is also one of the hardest to uninstall properly as obviously Windows and its partner Bing dont want you to uninstal. There are ways but its not worth the hassle as it will come back again if you use Windows automatic updates. You can just go to control panel and disable it. With your choice of browser make it the default Browser, you can do this in options on your browser. I use Firefox as it is quite secure and configurable, however, these days on my humble laptop it becomes a bit resource hungry if you are running pop up blockers and going through a VPN. Might try out some Linux OS. Stay away from Apple browsers.

Just how "configurable," which I'm not sure what you really mean, do you need a browser to be, for the majority a bog standard browser, with no "add ons" etc, is all that is needed. Bing is simply a search engine, which you can easily replace with your favourite one, eg google. If you want to "try" Linux, I suggest Linux Mint, but like all Linux distributions, most hardware manufacturers do not support them, therefore you will not be able to use all functions of your printer, graphics tablet, or simply update/backup you mobile phone.

I must be one of those with a lower IQ, I find nothing wrong with IE even after trying most other browsers. What I do know, after 30 plus years in IT is that those who complain are those who complain about Microsoft's dominance, but still use windows and other Microsoft products. It is true some sites are not supported by other browsers, it is also a fact that some hardware, eg IP cams, using a built in GUI where ALL functions are only available using active-X, only supported by IE. All browsers have vulnerabilities. Chrome is looking good, Firefox seems to be lacking, have had numerous sites fail, and the other browsers, well use them if you want, but why? Some say one browser loads fast than another, in practice this comes down more to your connection speed from you to the site you are accessing, a lightweight browser may load faster, but this is usually milliseconds, hard to prove and who cares.

All my comments are based on Windows machines, those using other OS's need not comment. Having said that on Linux, use Chrome not Firefox, those using Apple, well you were tricked into buying an overpriced box, even Apple seems to push the iPhone rather than a Mac.

After reading your response I realize how insensitive, and perhaps foolish my post was regarding IE users; I apologize. Not sure how I didn't process that as unkind, and perhaps ignorant on my part. I did the search for IE users and IQ again and found the same Telegraph article citing the study but have now also found entries indicating it was not a correct study. To all those I've offended, sorry. I don't like unkind comments and prefer I also avoid such statements. Perhaps because I don't prefer IE I allowed that trivia to enter into my thinking.
  • Like 2

After reading your response I realize how insensitive, and perhaps foolish my post was regarding IE users; I apologize. Not sure how I didn't process that as unkind, and perhaps ignorant on my part. I did the search for IE users and IQ again and found the same Telegraph article citing the study but have now also found entries indicating it was not a correct study. To all those I've offended, sorry. I don't like unkind comments and prefer I also avoid such statements. Perhaps because I don't prefer IE I allowed that trivia to enter into my thinking.

Oh, I wasn't really offended, actually made me laugh.

• Like 2

I changed to Firebox which was much better but then it started to get slower.

Yahoo for example can sometimes take up to 10 minutes to load - meaning: able to compose or delete an email!

Any further ideas? It sometimes is very upsetting (To save a DELETE)

I have 5 bars on my AIS 3G

In this day and age, I can't believe that there are people who still use Explorer.

In what specific ways is it superior to Chrome or Firefox?

Worldwide browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

post-55970-0-17254100-1404043463_thumb.j

North American browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

post-55970-0-17254100-1404043463_thumb.j

Europe browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

post-55970-0-52492000-1404043768_thumb.j

post-55970-0-16696200-1404043687_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

In this day and age, I can't believe that there are people who still use Explorer.

In what specific ways is it superior to Chrome or Firefox?

Worldwide browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

North American browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Europe browser usage stats May 13 thru May 14

attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

Interesting comment - what is the source of the stats?

See http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php and https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

Seems to be some discrepancies in claims.

Interesting comment - what is the source of the stats?

Stats from http://gs.statcounter.com/about?PHPSESSID=mofpq9n6v76qeol3rshc0a7ie1

Below is a summary of their data samples

Data Sample
Stats are based on aggregate data collected by StatCounter on a sample exceeding 15 billion pageviews per month collected from across the StatCounter network of more than 3 million websites. Stats are updated and made available every 4 hours, however are subject to quality assurance testing and revision for 14 days from publication.

I use FF with the 'view in IE' extension . Works even when IE is uninstalled. Chrome makes a mess of my bookmarks and doesn't have the addons FF has. The fact that it keeps surreptitiously installing itself is reason enough for me not to want it.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I changed to Firebox which was much better but then it started to get slower.

Yahoo for example can sometimes take up to 10 minutes to load - meaning: able to compose or delete an email!

Any further ideas? It sometimes is very upsetting (To save a DELETE)

I have 5 bars on my AIS 3G

Do a cleanup:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clear-console/

Do some database maintenance:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/places-maintenance/

Check which extensions are hogging the most memory:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-addons-memory/

Change to a Firefox-compatible browser I find faster at loading pages (YMMV)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732909-pale-moon-browser/