If you LOVE mussels ...

patsfangr

I highly recommend that you visit Aroi Resto. I had my second visit for that menu item today. It was as good as my first visit a few weeks ago. I know that this place has been discussed here before; but I don't think anyone has mentioned this specialty item; so I wanted to present it to you.

Now, I really mean it with that title. They are served in a large aluminum bowl, that is filled to the top. If you don't really LOVE mussels; and you don't have a big appetite; I'd suggest that you bring a friend (or two), and share them, along with a small additional side dish (they're served with French Fries).

These are large New Zealand mussels. There are 5 varieties to pick from, that include wine sauce, cream sauce, and (my favorite) Provencal.

They are only available on the weekend days; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Aroi Resto is a large, clean, cool and comfortable restaurant that's located on Soi 89, off of Sukhumvit. Head south from Pattaya Klang. Pass Pattaya Thai. Pass Macro (on the other side of the road). Shortly after, look for (you guessed it!) a 7-11 on your left. A little hard to see, because there's a typical huge cluster of telephone wires partially blocking the sign. :-) It's only about 200 meters past Macro, so stay left from that point on. Turn left on Soi 89. Go over the RR tracks. Aroi Resto is about 500 ahead, on the right side. Covered (green awning) parking is directly across from it. Room for several cars there.

Very good menu of both Western (including pizza, which I have not yet tried) and Thai food; so I recommend it even if the mussels are not for you. Excellent selection of home made desserts (mouth watering stuff!); plus a nice assortment of wines and imported Belgian beers, as well as the usual varieties.

My #1 hangout for drinking and eating is The Blue Moose; but Aroi Resto is definitely an occasional regular stop for me!

Just remembered, I took a picture.....

attachicon.gifMussels.jpg

That is not a large bowl of mussels.

That is a snack.

I long ago stopped ordering mussels unless they come "all-you-can-eat".

It was full when I started and it was more than enough!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can wholeheartedly agree with Patsfangr & Upnotover, the mussels in Aroi are delicious; I have had them many times. Depending on the season their sizes varies. E.g. they were smaller April - I think they were even sourced locally at that time, regardless, portions have been generous everytime (attached a pic of one of my visits). Can’t remember the exact price, between 350-400 b, great value.

post-53713-0-81903000-1403958709_thumb.j

Cant remember the exact price, between 350-400 b, great value.

I dont see how that could possibly be described as "good value".

If imported from NZ and a big portion 350-400 THB is not expensive, it would be very, very cheap.

But if you look at the first picture it looks not like imported from NZ.

How much is 1/2 kg of the Thai stuff on the night market? One bag about 20-30 THB, cooked already. Most times overcooked, big shell, very small dark colored mussel with a large hairy beard.

But with the spicy seafood sauce ok to eat, without tthe sauce no fun to eat.

Sometimes I do buy NZ mussel in Makro. 1kg box frozen is about 200 THB, Because of the reduced shipping weight, they pack the mussels most times only with half shell.

So if a restaurant serves something small, with a big beard full shell I doubt it is imported.

My friends and me will never eat Thai mussels so it's good that they are imported. The few times we have been sick in this country is when eating mussels when it never happened when eating other seafood. Anyway local mussels are really not good compared to New zealand and other imported mussels.

Edited by thaicookingchef

We buy the New Zealand variety of mussels but farmed locally in the markets way up country North of Chiangmai, or delivered in a blaring pickup. already cooked and spiced for 40B kilo (20b if you want smaller ones). Beautiful! We eat buckets of them regularly with never a problem. The only trouble I have ever had from eating mussels was after eating them in an expensive restaurant in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

That confuses me as the pictures show green lipped mussels, not the normal black new zealand mussel or are you referring to the fact green lipped mussels are grown locally?

Anyone who likes garlicky mussels could do much worse than to go to the All Seasons buffet in The Avenue. It costs 249B (on offer from 299 elsewhere). I go every week or two for a mussel hit.

OK these are not giant imported mussels from NZ or wherever, but they taste good and you can have all you want. They also do very good fresh grilled mackerel. Most of the other dishes are also acceptable but you do have to be bit selective as some are not so nice. The chips (fries) are terrible, for example, but the mash is good. Water and soft drinks are included.

Much prefer the local steamed mussels, big bag for 25 baht available at many night markets with a great spicy dip......

Yes, fine when you can get them but rarely available near where I am at the time I want them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It took me a while but I finally did get around to trying their mussels, having tried their Sunday buffet a couple of weeks ago.

Verdict: they are good. I went for the "all-you-can-eat" offer at about 330B including salad bar and French fries which is available on Fridays. The fries were frozen but were of decent quality and properly cooked.

The mussels come in various styles. I tried the cream and garlic (which bizarrely also had onion in) and the Provençale (which was served like a large soup). All very tasty indeed, and authentic enough, but I seemed to get at least twice as much sauce as I needed and I just left it, which was wasteful. They would save money by drastically reducing the proportion of sauce to mussels and this would have no effect at all on the flavour of the dish.

The mussels themselves were the green-lipped sort, and nicely plump. Cooking was fine (apart from the onions mentioned previously, and they were unexpected rather than unpleasant). Salad bar was nice. For those who dont like mussels they do a kebab skewer.

Beers are from about 70B, and they promote various unusual wines.

We buy the New Zealand variety of mussels but farmed locally in the markets way up country North of Chiangmai, or delivered in a blaring pickup. already cooked and spiced for 40B kilo (20b if you want smaller ones). Beautiful! We eat buckets of them regularly with never a problem. The only trouble I have ever had from eating mussels was after eating them in an expensive restaurant in Australia.

Sorry, I'm not very clever, can you describe in detail the trouble you had eating the Australian mussels. Please