Should I help on this scam?

Today, I heard the latest scam from my wife.

One of her colleagues, a nurse, working in the same hospital with her, has been on one of the dating sites, for some time now. (Can’t mention the name)

Never got married before, although she is about 40 years old.

Her dream was to find a farang husband, to take her to live and work, in the UK or the USA.

She had a few responses in the past, but suddenly about 3 months ago, a man from Glasgow got in touch with her.

That guy promised her that he is able to provide her with a marriage visa, so she would be able to go and work in the UK.

She was very excited, but she never mentioned anything to her other colleagues.

So he requested, for her to send him copy of her birth certificate, copy of her passport, and 36.000Baht, by Western Union, and promised her after 1 week she could go to the British Embassy in BKK and get the visa.

Without hesitation, she obliged.

After that, the man disappeared from the dating web site.

3 months later, she is asking my wife to help her, and write to the website, explaining the situation and the scam, so that man will not hit another naïve Thai girl again.

Of course my, lovely wife, likes delegating responsibilities and she is asking me to write to the website.

Should I help, or it’s a waste of time?

I don’t believe the website is not aware of this scum as I don’t believe it’s the first time that, this happened.

Do you think there is any other way I could help?

I have got his name and an address.

Many thanks

Costas

Edited by Rooo
Font

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whist i admit this is the behaviour,of an utter cad,maybe in the past he has been scammed the other way and wanted a measure of revenge ,i do not condone action's of con artist's,but i would suggest it has been done far more by Thai lady's to falang's than the other way around,if i were you Costas my involvement would be to let the website know,and leave it at that,there is no use crying over spilt milk,any the lady has learned a lesson,anyway who on Earth would want to live in Glasgow.

• Like 2

Sounds like a Nigerian scam to be honest, and these have been widely reported previously. Although all countries have them. It's unlikely the details tat you have are real, but still worth making a report.

Sadly, I think she has to accept the money and the scammer have long gone

I agree, unfortunately for her, I bet she doesn't the the guys details.....

Sounds like a Nigerian scam to be honest, and these have been widely reported previously. Although all countries have them. It's unlikely the details tat you have are real, but still worth making a report.

The name should be correct, otherwise how did he get the money from Western Union.

Thought you have to present a passport or driving license to get the money.

As about the address, shouldn't the letter been returned to her as address Unknown?

It's been 3 months now.

• Like 2

Just what do you suppose the website or even the police can do about this now ? You need to tell her to accept she has lost her money and to never send money ever again. Sorry but that is the harsh reality of this situation unfortunately.

I agree with you, but can you please convince my wife that this is the situation, because she thinks I am a lazy so and so and don't want to help!

Just what do you suppose the website or even the police can do about this now ? You need to tell her to accept she has lost her money and to never send money ever again. Sorry but that is the harsh reality of this situation unfortunately.

I agree with you, but can you please convince my wife that this is the situation, because she thinks I am a lazy so and so and don't want to help!

I thought you were domesticated.

• Like 2

The name should be correct, otherwise how did he get the money from Western Union.

As about the address, shouldn't the letter been returned to her as address Unknown?

It's been 3 months now.

To collect the money, all that is needed is a Government issued ID. These can easily be faked

Only if she put a return address on the envelope, will the letter be returned to her if the address was fake

It's been 3 months now.

Hmm, not sure to be honest. Worth making a report. These scum are a disgrace.

To tell you the truth, I don't believe there is any point to make a report in Thai police or the website.

I was thinking of writing a letter to the police in Scotland, explaining the situation and providing them with the name and address...............if I find the address of the police department, I should write to.

Would it be Scotland Yard or the Scotish have a different authority?

• Like 1

Costas,just tell her you are to worried about the Greece _costa rica game,you cannot focus on anything else right now,then if Greece lose you can wonder around,shaking your head,sobbing every now and again,and looking generally down,within in a week or so the wife will probably have forgotten,i don't have a plan if Greece win,but i think it unlikely you will need one.

• Like 2

I thought you were domesticated.

They are never happy, whatever you do for them............treat us like doormatssad.png

• Like 2

To tell you the truth, I don't believe there is any point to make a report in Thai police or the website.

I was thinking of writing a letter to the police in Scotland, explaining the situation and providing them with the name and address...............if I find the address of the police department, I should write to.

No Scotland Yard is in London.

You will need to contact Chief Inspector Gordon McFuzz of The Royal Mounted Jock Constabulary (RMJC)based in Glasgow

Edited by snottgoblin
  • Like 2

So the Scam got scammed.

She wanted to do something very illegal and got scammed.....

Ask yourself would you help the drug dealer, because the wholesale drug dealer sold him wheat powder for heroin?

You may inform the UK embassy that she wanted to get a Visa by illegal means, so they can put her on some watch list.

You will need to contact Chief Inspector Gordon McFuzz of The Royal Mounted Jock Constabulary (RMJC)based in Glasgow

Thank you........I think I know the man.........Scottish counterpart of Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

Thank you........I think I know the man.........Scottish counterpart of Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

Yeah, but this one is fuelled by alcohol

So the Scam got scammed.

Ask yourself would you help the drug dealer, because the wholesale drug dealer sold him wheat powder for heroin?

You may inform the UK embassy that she wanted to get a Visa by illegal means, so they can put her on some watch list.

Tat harsh ...aint it ?

Costas, what are you screwing around at, you've got the name and address, shop him to the plods and the web site.

chiang mai, what do you want me to do?

Go to the Thai police?

She can do it herself and I bet you they will lough at her.

She is supposed to be an educated woman......my arse.

As about the website, please read post #11.

The only thing I can do is write to the Scottish police.......for what is worth.

Costas, what are you screwing around at, you've got the name and address, shop him to the plods and the web site.

chiang mai, what do you want me to do?

Go to the Thai police?

She can do it herself and I bet you they will lough at her.

She is supposed to be an educated woman......my arse.

As about the website, please read post #11.

The only thing I can do is write to the Scottish police.......for what is worth.

Costas,you are aware if you write to the scottish police,you have to start the letter with"och,aye,the noo"

• Like 1

So the Scam got scammed.

h90, there is a good logic in what you are saying.

But don't forget that these people have dreams, for a better life.

I had my dreams when I was young and I believe you wanted a better life also.

So, can we really blame them?

• Like 2

Have heard a similar story from a girl at work and one of my wifes friends..

I cant believe they send money.

Both guys claimed they lived in England the addresses if you look on google maps could not have been a residance. The provided docs that were so fake and had phone numbers that were not in the U.K.

Anyway lesson learned..the photots did even look like they were from England, I mean what they were wearing and where they were..

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64