Insurance

I am looking to find an insurer that will permit me to drive using an IDP as i do not have a Thai licence (and am not eligible to get one due to not having a non-imm visa). If someone could point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

Thanks

Have you asked and insurers said no ?? I had 2 different insurers ovcer the years and both it was automatically OK with.. IDP or Thai..

If your actually having a struggle rather then wondering if its tough then PM me and I will dig out my papers to find out who is my current.. Think its AIG but I use a broker here so not 100%..

Thanks for the info LivinLOS.

I haven't actually asked but i have been told by quite a few members that most insurers accept only a Thai licence. I just wanted to be sure of everything before i actually bought a car.

Now you have told me it shouldn't be a problem i will ring round a few.

Cheers

PS. Could you PM me the number of your broker? I would appreciate it.

Edited by MartinBKK

Thanks for the info LivinLOS.

I haven't actually asked but i have been told by quite a few members that most insurers accept only a Thai licence. I just wanted to be sure of everything before i actually bought a car.

Now you have told me it shouldn't be a problem i will ring round a few.

Cheers

PS. Could you PM me the number of your broker? I would appreciate it.

When we looked into this before buying our cars the insurance companies said that I would only be covered if I had a Thai license (which I then got). The dealer who sold us our cars said the same thing.

Insurers get difficult if the driver is here for a longer period of time and has the requisite immigration status to get a Thai license, but doesn't. If you are here for a limited period of time on a tourist visa, most insurers would not have a problem with an IDP. Find a good broker who can help you with this. PM me if you would like some names and contact numbers of insurance brokers here in Bangkok.

Insurers get difficult if the driver is here for a longer period of time and has the requisite immigration status to get a Thai license, but doesn't. If you are here for a limited period of time on a tourist visa, most insurers would not have a problem with an IDP. Find a good broker who can help you with this. PM me if you would like some names and contact numbers of insurance brokers here in Bangkok.

But if you are buying a car rather than renting one....then they want a Thai license for coverage.