Need for immediate action against human trafficking

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Downgrade in US report is a wake-up call for Thailand to crack down on these heinous practices

Seafood is big business in Thailand. It generates more than US$7 billion for the country and the sector employs more than 650,000 people.

But there is a problem. Some of the businesses are guilty of employing slave labour. Some of these labourers don't even make it alive to the shore because, as a way of cutting overhead cost, they are murdered and dumped in the high sea.

Others are sold from ship to ship and often stay out in the sea for months before they see the shore.

But few of us think about these gory facts when we sit at the dinner table and munch on delicious shrimp and other seafood. Perhaps we are unaware. Perhaps we don't want to know. But the fact of the matter is, this dark side of the industry comes with a price and this could take a toll this time on the country's economy, the consumers, the industry's giants, and the government for not doing enough to curb these illicit practices in spite of ample warnings.

After a two-year grace period, the US State Department has decided enough is enough. Thailand is now one of the worst violators. We are among 188 countries judged every year on how we deal with the issue of human trafficking. In a recently released annual report on human trafficking, the country's fishing industry was highlighted. The report is part of an effort to pressure countries like Thailand to criminalise human trafficking.

Because of the size of its economy and geographical proximity, Thailand has for decades attracted migrant workers from neighbouring countries in mainland Southeast Asia.

Most come willingly, taking up backbreaking jobs shunned by Thais. Others get thrown into the sex trade and sweatshops where they work long hours with little benefits.

Many who come don't really know what they are getting into. All sorts of stories are told, good and bad. But many try their luck, probably feeling they don't have much to gain by remaining in their home country.

And so they pay brokers, including corrupt Thai officials, who traffic them to the country and sell them to shipowners who force them to work 18-hour shifts.

The US State Department was not the only source of information. Local and foreign media have reported on these issues but the industry and the authorities had decided to turn a deaf ear.

A recent investigative report by The Guardian newspaper of Britain forced at least one major retailer to cease doing business with Thailand's fishing industry until it could prove that slave labour was not being used.

The burden of proof is on Thailand and the current crop of leaders are hard pressed to do something about it.

The junta who came to power through a coup just weeks ago has made the well-being of migrant workers one of its high priorities. A damage-control exercise, perhaps, but surely they can't claim complete ignorance about this mess.

Like other Thai government agencies, the military and law enforcement powers knew about these happenings but did not prevent it.

We shouldn't have to wait for some foreign government to issue a report or some foreign supermarket boycott of our products to force us to take action. First and foremost, we need to take action because it is the right thing to do. And when we do the right thing from the start, good things will follow.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Need-for-immediate-action-against-human-traffickin-30237338.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-29

• Like 1

yes as immediate action, they should move all these slaves to a more secluded location or higher sea,

because its bring too much bad press on the land of slave smile, that not good for business...

• Like 2

The Thai Military needs to get to the bottom of this immediately,expose everything,prosecute those involved.

Thailand needs foreign workers.

Foreign Workers need protection.

There's an old saying " that you can step in dog sh*t...wipe it off but the smell remains"

• Like 1

The Thai Military needs to get to the bottom of this immediately,expose everything,prosecute those involved.

There's an old saying " that you can step in dog sh*t...wipe it off but the smell remains"

I believe the "Thai military getting to the bottom of human trafficking" may be problematic. In the past, the Thai Navy has been accused of being involved in human trafficking. I suspect the "Land of Smiles," conceals many sad stories on how they treat foreign workers.

• Like 2

"But there is a problem. Some of the businesses are guilty of employing slave labour. Some of these labourers don't even make it alive to the shore because, as a way of cutting overhead cost, they are murdered and dumped in the high sea.

Others are sold from ship to ship and often stay out in the sea for months before they see the shore."

Was this written by a Thai reporter? Got any evidence about the content? giggle.gif

Again still no mention of concern for the victims of this disgusting trade. All they care about is what money it may cost them.

That Thai society is not outraged by this shows what a morally bankrupt society it is. Is is an insult to real Buddhists for Thai's to call themselves a Buddhist society

• Like 1

I believe the "Thai military getting to the bottom of human trafficking" may be problematic. In the past, the Thai Navy has been accused of being involved in human trafficking. I suspect the "Land of Smiles," conceals many sad stories on how they treat foreign workers.

Or:

Lack of Sanctions (LOS)

Land of Scams (LOS)

Again still no mention of concern for the victims of this disgusting trade. All they care about is what money it may cost them.

That Thai society is not outraged by this shows what a morally bankrupt society it is. Is is an insult to real Buddhists for Thai's to call themselves a Buddhist society

AMEN.

• Like 2

Well we know what Reuters think!whistling.gif

As if there hasn't had enough opportunity to at least make a start in stopping trafficking. they behave as if they have only become aware of the problem. They have known for a couple years now that they faced being downgraded to tier 3 for people trafficking.

Edited by ggold

"But there is a problem. Some of the businesses are guilty of employing slave labour. Some of these labourers don't even make it alive to the shore because, as a way of cutting overhead cost, they are murdered and dumped in the high sea."

"Local and foreign media have reported on these issues but the industry and the authorities had decided to turn a deaf ear."

"Like other Thai government agencies, the military and law enforcement powers knew about these happenings but did not prevent it."

"The report is part of an effort to pressure countries like Thailand to criminalise human trafficking."

It's not illegal in Thailand??

You don't say, I have a feeling I am dealing with Dumb, Dumber and Dumber, when it comes to Thailand.coffee1.gif

cheesy.gif I sort of think that "dumber" stuff when I read Thai basher responses- In this case though I think of a monkey throwing feces.

"You don't say..." you say? Uh huh! This insinuates that information has just been related that is obvious and that you are well versed on. cheesy.gif Yeah you and the Man In The Moooon!cheesy.gif

Is anyone familiar with the lawmakers mentioned in this article?

http://www.asiasentinel.com/society/asean-lawmakers-blast-human-rights-commission/

I notice that few people ever comment on articles published over there or on Asian Correspondents articles. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to see some of the conversations that take place on TV also happening on those sites.

yes as immediate action, they should move all these slaves to a more secluded location or higher sea,

because its bring too much bad press on the land of slave smile, that not good for business...

Bender. "land of slave smile..." You are not in the least bit clever. And you are reprehensible to place a blanket judgement on Thais owing to this terrible malignancy that their society is inflicted with.

How do you think most Thais feel when they read an article like this one? They aggrieve for the victims and they feel remorse, grief and shame for their country. They don't need such as you to step in and opportunistically kick them in the nuts.

A sanctimonious nobody like yourself sees this news and fancies himself real cute by posting a cheap shot play on words. I honestly do not believe that you care anything about this abominable situation. I believe you simply like impressing yourself (and fancy that you are impressing others) by making pseudo profound and meaningless posts such as your current folly.

PS. Your opening sarcasm about moving to "more secluded location or higher sea" is so senseless that it has no strength in its intended scorn at all. And you could never begin to figure why.wink.png

But few of us think about these gory facts when we sit at the dinner table and munch on delicious shrimp and other seafood...

It is not up to the consumer to police the seafood industry...or any industry for that matter...the gov't must see human trafficking as a despicable way of creating cheap labor...the head officials of these industries...which promote human misery...should do some time in a prison camp...do some hard labor...get their hands dirty and calloused...will give them a better perspective of their inhumane practices...

If consumers make it their business to know what is going on and then make their opinions and desires known (i.e. stop paying money for things if the product or service contributes to the oppression of another person or class of people), then governments get the message. I think it is more of a personal responsibility. Saying it is not up to the consumer is the easy way to side step what is happening to fellow human beings. This is not just about the seafood industry. Let's not forget that. Let us all conduct ourselves with integrity and values at all times.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If consumers make it their business to know what is going on and then make their opinions and desires known (i.e. stop paying money for things if the product or service contributes to the oppression of another person or class of people), then governments get the message. I think it is more of a personal responsibility. Saying it is not up to the consumer is the easy way to side step what is happening to fellow human beings. This is not just about the seafood industry. Let's not forget that. Let us all conduct ourselves with integrity and values at all times.

Problem is that the consumers in Thailand are only a very small number. The money is in export, and the majority of consumers in the countries the seafood is being exported to can eat with denial to a problem that isn't happening in their own country.

Many Thais are still in denial about this issue. Another major story on the front page of today's Bangkok Post. In this story the victim was rescued following intervention by authorities in Indonesia....surely the ultimate humiliation for Thailand.

These stories are only going to get bigger and if Thailand wants to slink into a "blame the west " mentality, it will find a whole world of pain for its export industries

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Problem is that the consumers in Thailand are only a very small number. The money is in export, and the majority of consumers in the countries the seafood is being exported to can eat with denial to a problem that isn't happening in their own country.

I understand and agree. I was directing my thought at the global and foreign consumers and my reply to the poster before me. My posting clarity is being affected by my World Cup habits a.k.a. no sleep makes a post seem groggy : ) We have foreign consumers here who are aiding in all kinds of trafficking of both genders and we have consumers in other countries. I work with adults who have known about my activist work before the downgrade. This week should be interesting at work. They have all been open and supportive and no one has acted in denial. Of course, they are all individuals and have nothing to do with the government so they don't affect they voice of the Thai government. However, the voice of the US Government is directly being affected by NGO's and labor groups (the everyday individuals) who asked for this downgrade. Eighteen different organizations signed the open letter to John Kerry. The masses supported this. We get so caught up in what each government saying and I hope that as thinking people we remember to keep this particular fight individual. I think of the horrific conditions the persons being trafficked are in each day and do more than send them love and good vibes. I check my slave footprint at all times. My biggest goal is to grow and live sustainably. My resolve was already there, but the recent developments here have given me drive I didn't know I have. TVF has a great gardening forum with tons of stuff on how to water and everything. I've been pouring over that. There are ways of not supporting trafficking, one just has to find what she or he can incorporate into their own life. It's not enough to just post on TVF on this subject.

All of a sudden. bah.gif

Unfortunately everywhere and throughout history people look the other way when they should be doing something about bad things. That is why it takes so long. What is your country of origin? I guarantee an example can be found there with a quick internet search. Your posting is a sanctimonious fraud. We all turn our backs when we should not. All.