Route 213, Kalasin-Sakon Nakhon, four lane?

KhunBENQ

Can someone tell me, whether 213 is a four lane road?

Not sure from studing the map.

Or otherwise: I have the choice to go to S.N. via Udon or Khon Kaen (same distance),

Which is better:

Khon Kaen - Sakon Nakhon

Udon Thani - Sakon Nakhon

?

Thanks

Is there a source in the (Thai) internet where you can find out whether a road is two lane or four lane.

Google satellite view sometimes is not up to date.

Khon Kaen to Kalasin four lane all the way. Kalasin to Somdet four lane about half the way and some construction, Somdet to Sakon Nakhon, I haven't done that drive in years, but at that time it was two lane until you got close to Sakon Nakhon, and I suspect that now there is a little more four lane road. It is not a bad road, but goes over a mountain.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Kalasin to Sakon Nakhon is a 2 hour drive not matter how you look at it... There are short streches which are 4 lane, but the majority, and the most time consuming is the curves and switchbacks going up and over the mountains... It can be a bit frustrating and challenging if you get stuck behind really slow moving Trucks and / or Buses, but if you just don't push it too much in trying to pass on curves and such, it can be a pleasant and enjoyable drive...

Pianoman

Kalasin

• Like 1

No I have never drove the Udon route, but unless you know it is four lanes all the way, I would suspect it is the same. Global Maps puts Udon to Sakon Nakhon as 2 hours 6 minutes 163 kilometres, and Kalasin as 1 hour 49 minutes 128 kilometres. So it is 35 kilometres farther from Udon than Kalasin, but according to Pianoman (who I know has done the trip many times, so I believe him), it is a two hour trip. So you can go by which is shorter for you, your house to Udon or to Kalasin, also I suspect Global Maps are as far off on the Udon route as the Kalasin route.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

• 3 weeks later...

It's not 4 lane all the way. It closes in right before the weigh station after Udon Thani, then 2 lanes with bad traffic. Brief 4 lanes around Sawang Daen Din, then back to 2 lanes for quite a while. I always travel it middle of night then its great running. The day time baht buses, tuk tuks, regular buses. People pulling out and nearly head on. Usually at least one cop donation site.

If timed for 2-5 am I fly thru there. Even the mountain is quick except for occasional monkeys or cattle.

• Like 1

I'm living not far from Sawang Daen Din, about the middle of the road between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon ;

The road number 22 is four lane from Udon to Nong Han, about 35 km;

after it's a two lanes road with much trafic until u arrive at Phanna Nikhom;

from Phanna Nikhom to Sakhon , it's a four lane road;

be careful often "police toll" between Sawang and Sakhon and Police radar on the four lanes between Udon and Nong Han .

Dangerous, no, expensive ... to go faster than 100 km/h or 60 miles/hour...

Udon Sakon is about 175 km .