Thai Boarding School

NordicMan

Hi,

My thai wife have a daughter from previous marriage, who has been living with her father's family for most of the time. We would like to give her a better education than the regular village schools, and are looking for a thai boarding school. I can find plenty of international schools at around 400-500k baht/year, but that is quite a bit over our budget.

Searching the internet has not provided much results, mostly english-language schools.

She's 15, just finished Matayom 3. Her English is almost non-existent. She does generally very well at the village schools. In addition to a better education, we would also like her to mix more with "city-people".

Can anyone recommend a thai boarding school, preferably in Bangkok?

Many thanks

NM

I can't imagine anything further removed from Thai culture than a boarding school. Going to live with relatives near a bigger school, definately.

Being sent away from family and friends, definately not the Thai way.

Try St.John (Ladprao area). My thai wife went there and said it was a very good school as she had no problem with her English whatsoever when continuing her high school in the US. They have both English and Thai curriculum. Your step-daughter will be attending all girls school until highschool which will be coed.

I agree with Guesthouse. Sending a Thai village girl to boarding school far removed from her family and friends would likely be an elaborate form of torture for the poor mite. If you want to provde her with a better education that she is currently getting, then finding her a Thai secondary school in a city with good recommendations (possibly with an "international programme") and relatives living there, then paying her fees, board and lodging would be far the best way to go. Without those social bonds to support her, she could end up hating you for the rest of her life! :o

I can't imagine anything further removed from Thai culture than a boarding school. Going to live with relatives near a bigger school, definately.

Being sent away from family and friends, definately not the Thai way.

Many Thai secondary schools have boarding facilities. Some are church operated, usually Catholic up north, and others operated by the Social Welfare Department. Other government high schools that serve a large area will also have boarding facilities ranging from dormitories to small basic huts shared by a few students. The majority of technical and vocational schools that cater to those who leave academics after Mo 3 (9th grade) are schools with associated dormitories.

So I would argue and claim that at 15, the age of the student in question, a boarding school is very much a "Thai way".

Hi,

My thai wife have a daughter from previous marriage, who has been living with her father's family for most of the time. We would like to give her a better education than the regular village schools, and are looking for a thai boarding school. I can find plenty of international schools at around 400-500k baht/year, but that is quite a bit over our budget.

Searching the internet has not provided much results, mostly english-language schools.

She's 15, just finished Matayom 3. Her English is almost non-existent. She does generally very well at the village schools. In addition to a better education, we would also like her to mix more with "city-people".

Can anyone recommend a thai boarding school, preferably in Bangkok?

Many thanks

NM

Most of the big private schools accept boarders - they live on campus. It's more a case of whether your step-daughter can pass the entrance exams.

I think you have to find a good school and see if they will accept boarders.

I teach in Chiang Mai and it is very common for children from surrounding provinces to study -and live - in CM.

Most of the big private schools accept boarders - they live on campus. It's more a case of whether your step-daughter can pass the entrance exams.

I agree that’s why I mentioned St.John because my wife went there (25 yrs ago ).

It’s a very big thai-catholic private school (including a boarding option). But don’t worry the catholic part is not enforced, this is the afterschool activity hours only and on a voluntary basis, not included in the regular school hours, coz my wife had many thai-muslim friends from the south attending there also. This is a real school which seriously focusing on academic life only.

The school has so many programs to choose from…after M3. Such as….. she can attend a regular high school curricurlum if she wants to go on to the university,…… or a 3 yrs in trade school (thai program),…… or St.John “commerce” – English only program, …..or a few of other technical programs the school has to offer….. Check them out first before you make any decision.

Yes, and be prepare for the entrance exam which is mandatory and a hefty admission fee -especially at a big private school

Good luck

I would have to agree that to send a Thai youngster to boarding school is not at all unusual. I have seen a number of Thai children in both Thai and International boarding schools. Either because there is no good school upcountry or parents don’t want kids going to school in Bangkok.

St. John's is supposed to be pretty good but I don’t believe they have boarding. St Joseph's in Sri Racha is also recommended, and they have boarding.

I would recommend Satit Udomseuksa Academy in Jomtiem. They have just a few boarders right now, but are trying to get more. The curriculum is Thai, but there is a lot of English and a large number of the kids speak English at home. The fees are very reasonable, about 70k a term (2 terms a year), including boarding.

TH

I would have to agree that to send a Thai youngster to boarding school is not at all unusual. I have seen a number of Thai children in both Thai and International boarding schools. Either because there is no good school upcountry or parents don’t want kids going to school in Bangkok.

St. John's is supposed to be pretty good but I don’t believe they have boarding. St Joseph's in Sri Racha is also recommended, and they have boarding.

I would recommend Satit Udomseuksa Academy in Jomtiem. They have just a few boarders right now, but are trying to get more. The curriculum is Thai, but there is a lot of English and a large number of the kids speak English at home. The fees are very reasonable, about 70k a term (2 terms a year), including boarding.

TH

Thanks for the tip, I will contact Satit. Curriculum in Thai, and 140k/year is just what we were looking for, as my original post stated.

Rgds

NM

If your child has some athletic talent (or even just avg. potential and you can afford to get him/her started early), you might want to consider the IMG Academies in Florida. I'm waiting on an information packet from them now for my kids (not yet born or conceived, but planning ahead never hurts).

:o

If your child has some athletic talent (or even just avg. potential and you can afford to get him/her started early), you might want to consider the IMG Academies in Florida. I'm waiting on an information packet from them now for my kids (not yet born or conceived, but planning ahead never hurts).

:o

Good advice. My pal got a 4-year scholarship to University of Florida, for playing on their soccer team. My pal was in division 3 in Norway (as in, he is not very good), yet got full board and free tuition. not a bad deal.

I'm not so sure of this girl though... she can't speak english anyway.

cheers

nm