Concrete Prices

Refresh

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I am about to start building on Koh Lanta, south of Krabi. The costs my developer is quoting for concrete look high - could anyone advise me of the prices per cubic meter for:

1. Concrete

2. Lean Concrete

3. Concrete 240 KSC

and also the price of re enforced bar (for various diameter would really help)

Many thankswai2.gif

While this is the price per cubic meter of concrete delivered in Buriram Province from a computer controlled modern concrete batching plant in six cubic meter ready mixed trucks it is indicative of the prices charged for normal concrete in other Thailand Provinces including the Krabi area. I priced ready mix concrete delivered to my wife's village which is 15 KM from Muang Buriram and the prices did vary depending upon the dealer of the major brand cement including. I found in Buriram Thailand you can price the cost per cubic meter of ready mixed concrete from Thai Pride Cement Co, Asia Cement, Siam City Cement Public Company, TPI Polene Public Company, CEMEX, and SCG Cement Co. often called CPAC Concrete. All six of these reputable major Cement companies have manufacturing plants located in Sariburi. The cement mix is then shipped to each province and batched by the local Ready Mix Dealer who will show the cement brand name on the Silo of the Batching Plant.

I was quoted in writing Thai Pride Concrete delivered in a modern Liebherr ready mix delivery truck to a village 15km from Muang Buriram the following prices in June 2014:

180 KSC 1699 baht per cubic meter, 210 KSC 1799 baht per cubic meter, 240 KSC concrete 1849 per cubic meter, 280 KSC 1899 baht per cubic meter. These written prices were quoted by the owner of Ruangsangthai Builders Merchants located across from the Buriram Provincial Electricity Authority office. I believe these prices are similar to what the OP could pay in Krabi. There was more information at http://www.burirambuildersmerchants.com/ready-mix-concrete-delivery.html Not every concrete dealer had an actual computer controlled modern batching plant and not every dealer could provide documentation of the load you had delivered.

• Like 1

I check the price today of 10 meter pieces of Thai standard rebar in Buriram that are used in typical house building. I did not obtain a price from the HomePro store or from Thaiwatsadu in Buriram. The price on Highway 2074 in Buriram from a family owned builders merchants store ranges from 60 baht per piece to 350 baht per piece of re-bar steel. Free delivery in many parts of Buriram Province and a few parts of Surin province are included in the price I was quoted. This should help the OP compare prices he is quoted for the house he is building on Koh Lanta.

ROUND BAR ( THAI STANDARD )
SIZE
6 MM. ( 2.22 KG ) PRICE @ 60-. BAHT
9 MM ( 4.99 KG ) PRICE @129-. BAHT
12 MM ( 8.88 KG ) PRICE @230-. BAHT
15 MM ( 13.87 KG ) PRICE @350-. BAHT
  • Like 1

Thanks man - you are a star - I was in the process of agreeing a cost plus 20% contract - to give an example of 'Cost'

240KSC Your price Bht1849 cubic M

240KSC My builder Bht 3500 cubic M + 20%

I was being quoted pretty much double +20%!

I owe you a beer! thanksclap2.gif

• Like 1

Thanks man - you are a star - I was in the process of agreeing a cost plus 20% contract - to give an example of 'Cost'

240KSC Your price Bht1849 cubic M

240KSC My builder Bht 3500 cubic M + 20%

I was being quoted pretty much double +20%!

I owe you a beer! thanksclap2.gif

Just curious - why would you agree to a cost +20% contract? Surely there's only a few vendors on the island, can't be too hard to make order calls yourself or get a friend/GF to help? It's not like ordering materials is a daily task - properly managed you'll only be doing it once, maybe twice, every month.

in the grand scheme of building a house, materials are around 75% of your total cost, so adding +20% to that is the same as paying 15% more overall.

Edit: Given the way your builder has already tried to take advantage of you, if you still want to use them I'd suggest the way forward would be to pay for labor only, on a straight per sqm basis - i.e. you buy the materials yourself and you pay the builder 2500-3500 per sqm, in instalments (with at least 30% held off for completion payment).

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I agree - I am struggling to find builders project manager at a reasonable cost - first team that quoted this also quoted 1.88M +20% for a 12x4m pool (2.4m deep for 3m then 1.5m) which seems obscene.... All in all the price for a 600sqm house is BHT20.5M to build, paint dig a well and connect to elec (not including the land) the second quote I got was BHT60M!!!! It has some funky glass work on the front and some 12x8m space without columns for a living room upstairs and down but still it seems the right prices is excessive - I figured it would be around BHT10-15M at the most....not sure how to find a builder and project manager to deliver this at a reasonable cost??

On the pool, SPT's (forum sponsor) price list from 2012 show your size pool, in your area costing 18.9K - 20.95K per sqm, depending on whether it's a skimmer, infinity edge or overflow. Probably worth getting in touch with them.

As for the construction, things like the funky glass work don't bother the builder so much, only the glass vendor - the only thing the builder might need to do is formwork for some longer than usual tap luang (lintels). Big column-less spans will increase your materials cost, but will actually work out to less labor per sqm than a typical house which would have more bricked and rendered walls in that space. etc etc.

I think part of the reason you're getting huge quotes is because of the non-standard design, which no-one knows off-hand how to cost. It probably doesn't help that you're obviously have some money to throw around either. It's hard to put an estimate on something I've never seen, but the most expensive build I've ever seen was 25K/sqm (double standard price).

Your best bet is going to be finding a construction team who will work on a pure labour-only / per sqm basis. Unfortunately I have no leads in Krabi/Trang - maybe post the the local forum to ask for leads?

Edited by IMHO

Cost of materials + 20% is actually not a bad deal as it includes all labor if you can control the charged cost of materials. But that's where the "scam" is, the cost of the materials is inflated as you can see with the concrete prices. Tell the builder you will buy the materials on your own and see his reaction!

• Like 1